Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Forum,

I finally found a vintage Zippo Lighter (1950’s I think)! I’m going to send it to Zippo. Lifetime warranty. How can you beat that? I’ve been told that Zippo is great! Thanks for looking!
F6C00C50-7A29-4EE0-9DB1-8E3102F557E9.jpeg

Upvote 12
OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the bottom it reads Zippo Bradford PA 2517191 Pat Pending.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Forum,

I finally found a vintage Zippo Lighter (1950’s I think)! I’m going to send it to Zippo. Lifetime warranty. How can you beat that? I’ve been told that Zippo is great! Thanks for looking!
View attachment 1690561

Congrats!

I sent one to Zippo.
It was removed/stolen on the return shipment.
Post office did not seem to worry about it when I tried to get an explanation about where MY lighter was...L.o.l..
Envelope was marked received damaged at one location.
Marked received contents missing at another location.
Guess no action was possible in the form of an investigation by the Post master.

Guess who does not get enthused about sending stuff through the post office anymore?

They are decent lighters.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you take a close up of the entire bottom, the hinge, and the printing on the inner liner? You may not want to send it to Zippo. Often there repair is a brand new lighter. If you have something rare you will want to leave it as is. IMO

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm... I’ve already packed it up, but you bring up an excellent point. I’ll take some pics, and post. Thanks...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm... I’ve already packed it up, but you bring up an excellent point. I’ll take some pics, and post. Thanks...
Drop a like on this comment when you post the pics and I will come back and date it for you No issues. Cheers BTW they give you a brand new lighter and keep the old one. Lovely

Kype

Mar 4, 2019
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tejon/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a few Zippos. Great lighters. Cool find .

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you take a close up of the entire bottom, the hinge, and the printing on the inner liner? You may not want to send it to Zippo. Often there repair is a brand new lighter. If you have something rare you will want to leave it as is. IMO

if They Replace the Guts, They Send the Damaged Guts Back with it.

IF the Hinge is Broke, They Send the old lighter Back along with a whole New lighter

plus you get a pack of Flints

WIN/WIN

if you Haven't, Write them First, They will send you a Booklet on how to Date Them,
A mailer & A Penny on a Chain that is the Penny it will Never Cost to get a Zippo Repaired or Replaced :laughing7:

Sorry I Can't Find My Booklet :(

Just Write & ask them How to Send it In

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom is pretty chunked up. The Script Zippo started in 1955 if there are no dots on the bottom I would put it 1955 to 1957 1958 would have 4 dots on right and left Taking one dot away each year until 1965 one single dot on the left of zippo then they moved to slashes or hash marks left and right which clearly is not here. If you see dots left or right post them up in order. Otherwise not being able to see any in the photos I would have to say 1955 to 1957 pre dots with script zippo

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cam and cam spring came apart. The wheel won’t turn, and as I was working on it the washer popped off. If I do send it in I will mark it sentimental, and to replace with original parts.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if They Replace the Guts, They Send the Damaged Guts Back with it.

IF the Hinge is Broke, They Send the old lighter Back along with a whole New lighter

plus you get a pack of Flints

WIN/WIN

if you Haven't, Write them First, They will send you a Booklet on how to Date Them,
A mailer & A Penny on a Chain that is the Penny it will Never Cost to get a Zippo Repaired or Replaced :laughing7:

Sorry I Can't Find My Booklet :(

Just Write & ask them How to Send it In
That is awesome to know. I have never sent one in because I was told they kept the guts! I have a few to send if this is true. Cheers for that news!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome to know. I have never sent one in because I was told they kept the guts! I have a few to send if this is true. Cheers for that news!

I Have sent in Several over the Years.

If the Case works, They Pull the Guts, Put a Sticker Shaped like a Dot on It.
Put a New Guts in the Case.
And Rap the Old Guts to the Side with a Rubber Band.

& Mail it all Back.

They Never actually Repair.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic recovery! :occasion14:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread and nice Zippo! I have one that my ex-wife, now deceased, gave me when I began driving OTR. She had it engraved with my first name. It's been used a lot and now the lid is a bit loose and off-kilter from the base. Will they repair it and align it properly?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread and nice Zippo! I have one that my ex-wife, now deceased, gave me when I began driving OTR. She had it engraved with my first name. It's been used a lot and now the lid is a bit loose and off-kilter from the base. Will they repair it and align it properly?

They never Repaired Mine. but mine were all Dug.

Because it's engraved they May.
Looking on You tube at Videos it appears some have been repaired

OP
OP
Cantstopdigging

Cantstopdigging

Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest: