Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain was predicted for late morning, so I told Mama that I was going to a park nearby, instead of my new permission. Boy...and I glad I made that choice!

As you can see, it was a great day for clad, but there were a few surprise finds. The first was digging up an old iPod! :hello2: I’ve cleaned off the all the dirt that I dared, and will let it sit for a few days before getting out my micro tools to clean out the charging/earphone port to see if I can get a charge on it...time will tell.

Then I dug a vintage ladies Princess Pat compact. I did some research, and based on the case embossing, it was made from the late 1920’s to the early 1930’s. Cool find, but it’s basically roached!

Then moved along the river and found these great pliers that a fisherman dropped. I fish, so they go in the fishing bag!

Between all the clad, I got a screaming 33-34 signal, and dug this old pocket watch case. I spent 15 minutes slowly scanning the area, but couldn’t find the rest of the watch. Sure would have liked the rest of it, because my research on the name and serial number found that it was made in 1888, and the grade 114 means that it is gold gilded. What you see is the condition it came out of the ground, all I did was wash off the mud that was caked in the body. Not sure if it has any scrap,value, but it’s a neat find nonetheless. BTW, the posted Elgin screenshots are approved for anyone to share this data.

Great day detecting between the rain showers, and the temp was 59 degrees...very comfortable.

Thanks for looking!

E66E7478-E92C-47F5-A222-DA5702200D2B.jpeg

D85403E7-767C-47B6-BDA2-D65547561AD6.png

B77000DB-E730-4C1B-8877-C64FB4BBEAFF.png

4F1CA814-24CC-4B82-9CA0-3BC13F99B3FF.png

837BF21E-9D4A-44D2-9582-0C0091CB051C.jpeg

Upvote 15

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, congrats and hope you find the rest of the pocket watch! I am sorry to tell you but Pocket Watch Case Serial Numbers almost never match up with Pocket Watch Movement Serial Numbers. The search that you did and provided a screen shot of, is in fact information on the Movement itself and the Movement was Gold Gilded. Pocket Watch Makers used a variety of Pocket Watch Cases from numerous Makers and these are Serial Numbered well before the Case and Movement come together as a Pocket Watch. If you can provide a closeup pic of the information on the inside of the Pocket Watch Case, we should be able to provide more information on the Case itself.

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), XP ORX (X35 11")
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some nice finds you have. The watch part is really interesting. Glad the Equinox is getting it done for you out in the field. Have you considered taking the ipod and putting it in a bag of dry rice for 24 hrs before you try to charge it? If there is moisture in there maybe it will help pull it out!
Best of wishes and happy hunting!

OP
OP
J

JoeVal

Oct 28, 2018
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 & 800
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, congrats and hope you find the rest of the pocket watch! I am sorry to tell you but Pocket Watch Case Serial Numbers almost never match up with Pocket Watch Movement Serial Numbers. The search that you did and provided a screen shot of, is in fact information on the Movement itself and the Movement was Gold Gilded. Pocket Watch Makers used a variety of Pocket Watch Cases from numerous Makers and these are Serial Numbered well before the Case and Movement come together as a Pocket Watch. If you can provide a closeup pic of the information on the inside of the Pocket Watch Case, we should be able to provide more information on the Case itself.

Thanks for your insight. I know nothing about pocket watches, so I defer to your knowledge. Here’s the inside...

DDCDF298-B5C7-4EB4-96A3-B9C14BADE436.jpg

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your insight. I know nothing about pocket watches, so I defer to your knowledge. Here’s the inside...

View attachment 1690894
I don't know squat either about pocket watches but that looks a whole lot better than the gold plated ones I've found....

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the nice finds and cool pocket watch case! :occasion14:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1690894

That would be a 20 year case. Gold filled which is much heavier than your normal gold plated case.

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumright:

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It says "Warranted 10 Years". And yes, it is likely 14k Gold Filled based on the color but could be 10k.

I guess it does say 10 years and that would be a lesser amount of gold applied to the case base metal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread