Pitbulls And Civil War Relics

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went door knocking today and got permission at a place I’ve wanted to hunt for years. My research shows that the site was used as camps for both the Union and Confederate troops and was also the location of some fighting.

I had dug a couple bullets and was on my knees checking a hole when I heard a deep growl from a big animal. When I looked up, I saw one of the biggest pitbulls I’ve ever seen about 20 feet away with another pitbulls behind him. I slowly stood up and the big boy was showing teeth and the hair on his back was standing up. I know I’m in a bad spot, I’m in the middle of a field with nowhere to go. I’m weighing my options when I hear a woman yelling, don’t you shoot my dog! I yell back that I don’t want to hurt her dog, but I don’t want to get bit either. She runs up and gets control of the dogs and I let the dogs sniff me and big boy let me pet him. Whew, I had visions of going to the hospital to have dog bites stitched up!

The woman tells me that everyone who come to the field to metal detect leave because of the dogs, and I tell her I’m not going anywhere. The dogs go about their business and I go about mine. [emoji16]

I found a nice mix of relics including a pulled confederate Gardner, a big 69 caliber and a 58 miniball. Also found two pistol bullets and Spencer and Sharps bullets. I also found what I think is a section of a sword blade and a key. At first I thought the key was a later skeleton key, but a closer look makes me think it’s earlier. I’m looking forward to going back soon.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552608947.877703.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552608963.608867.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552608976.174452.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552608987.208164.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552609001.725187.jpg

Upvote 13
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I'm glad the encounter with the dogs worked out. Fortunately the owner showed up. Nice digs and stay safe!

Yes, it was a little dicey for a while, but fortunately it turned out ok.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice story, thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

Glad to here the dogs were OK!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have had to have a change of clothes...after you got me down from the nearest tree!

OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have had to have a change of clothes...after you got me down from the nearest tree!

There wasn’t a tree for over 100 yards, believe me I looked....[emoji16]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We could have leaped tall buildings with a single bound!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt with some cool saves, glad you made through unscaved, could have been bad. congratulations on the saves

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the really nice finds. Quite the haul.

The dogs would have freaked me out. I’m glad it worked out for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions