I dug a bucket lister that wasn't on my bucket list :)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure where to start, I had an epic day that I never thought I'd see. There are some things you never figure you'll dig and when you least expect it.... BAM!!! I met up with fellow T-netter, JimZZ to do a little relic hunting at a old fort site. His day started off with an 1846 Mexican 1/4 reale and then an awesome button, which he ended up finding 2 of. I started off with the usual lead and percussion caps and finally a 1846 Mexican reale as well. I was having a frustrating start with my wireless earbuds cutting out and the other pair not working at all. I tried using wired earbuds on the Equinox, but kept pulling them out almost everytime I set my machine down. Jimmy let me use his ML80's and that helped me settle down and get some serious hunting done.
Jimmy ended up leaving after a few hours and I told him I was going to hunt for another hour and then head to the house. My goal was to at least find a couple of nice buttons to make a day of it, little did I know the fun was about to begin within the next 30 minutes. I worked my way around to the other side of where we had parked, and started finding more lead and a few more percussion caps. I got a screaming 25-26 hit on the Nox, I dug down about 8" and figured I had hit a can or something. I covered the hole, but, thought to myself..... that could be a buckle. I redug the hole and finally pried out a top of an old aluminum can. About 15 minutes later I get an almost identical signal, 25-27, but, when I pinpointed it sounded different. My thought was I was digging a silver coin at depth, so....I was quite a bit more careful with this hole. Almost 8" down I pop out a huge round thing :) it didn't register what it was until I picked it up and felt the weight. Then it hit me......no freaking possible way!!!
I saw the back first, then turned it over, the front had about a 1/4" of dirt caked on it, I carefully rubbed it and there it was :headbang::headbang::headbang: My first Union breatplate, something I only dreamed of finding and now there it was in my hand :laughing7::laughing7: Thank God I didn't dig it like I had dug the other target, no dig marks on either side. Jimmy had found a US buckle a couple of years before, now, I had me a breastplate, something I never thought I dig.

Attachments

• ff4.jpg
    ff4.jpg
    527.6 KB · Views: 136
  • ff3.jpg
    ff3.jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 155
  • ff2.jpg
    ff2.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 111
  • ff5.jpg
    ff5.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_8164.JPG
    IMG_8164.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 195
  • IMG_8163.JPG
    IMG_8163.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
  • ff6.jpg
    ff6.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 110
Upvote 46

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job. That first plate sets you down on your backside for sure! They are a sight to behold coming out of the ground.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing eagle plate ! I'd frame that , put it on the wall ..is the tapered green thing a scabbard tip ?

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job. That first plate sets you down on your backside for sure! They are a sight to behold coming out of the ground.

I'm not sure what it is, it came out of the ground in 2 different holes, first the large piece, it was 8" down, then the top was 8-10" away and about 5" down....it was a perfect fit :)

Attachments

• IMG_8160.JPG
    IMG_8160.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really awesome finds and description!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like Trying a little bit more and BAM, something special. Congratulations, enjoyed the write-up!.............63bkpkr

Doesn't the Nox 800 have a wireless option? I have a wireless setup, old school, and I would never go back to wired.

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing like Trying a little bit more and BAM, something special. Congratulations, enjoyed the write-up!.............63bkpkr

Doesn't the Nox 800 have a wireless option? I have a wireless setup, old school, and I would never go back to wired.

I sold my WM08 because I never used it.....well....I could have today. I've been using aptx LL earbuds and they have worked flawlessly until today, go figure :)

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find still on my bucket list. It goes to show that even though you think you know what you are digging you never really know until you dig it up. Sometimes you get a nice surprise. Glad you got the goodie and not the bazinga.

Keep swingin.

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a superb plate, Dan! (& a bunch of other nice finds!)
Congrat's!!

Iowa Dale

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recovery dan I thought I had u beat ,NOT.... congrats on and your finds and big bucket lister. Until next time my turn!!!!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice hunt with awesome finds. Congrats on the nice eagle plate :occasion14:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on that plate! In the last pic, the tapered item with the bead on the end is the part of a sheath for a bayonet. Gary

bayonets.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Thank you for sharing!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and that breastplate looks like it's in really nice condition! Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread