Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (current)
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (current)
Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife spoke to a local excavator working one of the new neighborhoods out near us. He told her of many civil war bullets being dug during the excavation awhile back and hearing just clanging away in the dump truck when they were loading it. He thought they hit a camp site. Well who knows? Only one way to find out. So I went out and found absolutely nothing except some can slaw. On may way out I got a signal on this piece of wood.

I should have taken a picture prior to opening it up a bit, but was anxious as the wood was ringing, but there was no entry point visible.

Hard to measure, and can’t weigh it, but it measures between .531 and .563 by my estimation. Being down here in Charleston, SC it could go either way perhaps on whether Revolutionary or Civil. Would love to know how to label it accurately for a display.

Anyhow, I’m not gonna pick it open anymore. It is not going anywhere and will make a great display piece once the wood is cleaned up a bit. Or at least I think so. View attachment 1691249 View attachment 1691250 View attachment 1691251 ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1552692853.667933.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find! I love minie balls in pieces of locust fence posts or old trees. Keep hunting that site - I once saw a union minie and a confederate minie facing each other in a small piece of wood.

OP
OP
D

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you’re probably right. Where there is 1 there must be more. The dirt was quiet everywhere, so once I stumble upon some tones, it could be a real nice day.

SCJohn

May 14, 2016
Charleston, sc
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT propointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love it. Never know when things will show up and sometimes in the strangest places.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not remove it either!!! That is a super cool find just how it is. Congrats Sir!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool find! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Make sure we get to see the finished product!

OP
OP
D

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all! Absolutely will post a pic when the display is done.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife spoke to a local excavator working one of the new neighborhoods out near us. He told her of many civil war bullets being dug during the excavation awhile back and hearing just clanging away in the dump truck when they were loading it. He thought they hit a camp site. Well who knows? Only one way to find out. So I went out and found absolutely nothing except some can slaw. On may way out I got a signal on this piece of wood.

I should have taken a picture prior to opening it up a bit, but was anxious as the wood was ringing, but there was no entry point visible.

Hard to measure, and can’t weigh it, but it measures between .531 and .563 by my estimation. Being down here in Charleston, SC it could go either way perhaps on whether Revolutionary or Civil. Would love to know how to label it accurately for a display.

Anyhow, I’m not gonna pick it open anymore. It is not going anywhere and will make a great display piece once the wood is cleaned up a bit. Or at least I think so. View attachment 1691249 View attachment 1691250 View attachment 1691251 View attachment 1691253

Before I read further .

"Clanging away in the Dump Truck " ..I'm shaking where did they take the dirt /sand is a question you need answered IMHO.

Carry on. lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it'a a round ball ?

Your in the right area & it looks good to me , just hope it's not the tip of a 'Mushroomed Lead 44, 45 .

Most my bullets in wood are 22's in small lumps of 'tree scar wood' . I keep them anyway FWIW.

Thanks for sharing & get after that / those Dump trucks .
Davers

Yak1366

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2017
Ringgold, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett ATPro, ProPointer AT, Retriever II
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find!!! I would definitely display it as is.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love it! The type of find that makes you wonder. Battle, forager, accidental discharge, someone up against a tree for execution?

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the wood stands drying and will not fall apart you can soak the entire piece in hot wax to preserve or even better in clear epoxid resin. Resin will last forever and you have a display piece you can touch and show without the fear to destroy it. Great find! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
D

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you sure it'a a round ball ?

Your in the right area & it looks good to me , just hope it's not the tip of a 'Mushroomed Lead 44, 45 .

Most my bullets in wood are 22's in small lumps of 'tree scar wood' . I keep them anyway FWIW.

Thanks for sharing & get after that / those Dump trucks .
Davers

Yeah, I agree the pics don’t look great enough to tell, but I’m pretty sure after examining it. The exposed side and looking inside the crevice follows the contour of a ball perfectly. Definitely confident enough to keep the wood at its current state.

You’ll be interested to see my finds when I went back, yesterday.

Cheers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread