Found myself another Lady

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still upset from digging a colonial British copper on Friday and watching it disintegrate before my very eyes, I went back out to the farm field to give it another swing. While I was hoping for colonial silver, I was very happy to find my second Seated Liberty since starting detecting back in August. It was about 6-8 inches down near the edge of the field. The signal was at first very jumpy, but was definitely a coin tone. Once I dug my initial plug, it was giving me a steady dime signal on the AT Pro. The coin is actually in good shape, though it is tarnished. While I know cleaning coins is discouraged, I was thinking of trying the aluminum foil/baking soda electrolysis trick to reduce some of the tarnish. Has anyone had good luck with that trick? Any preferred formula? Happy hunting everyone!

Attachments

• Liberty Seated 1875.jpg
    Liberty Seated 1875.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 18

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Beautiful coin! Still searching for my first seated. I never clean with more than soap, water and a toothpick so I won't be much help there but just wanted to encourage you and your great find!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used your method of cleaning with good success and no damage to the coin, but the choice is yours. 1875 is a pretty common year for seated dimes so it isn't a key coin. I have found 2 1875's. Good luck if you give it a shot.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Seated. I only water my coins off and rub with my fingers. I just prefer to leave them the way they came out of the ground. In my early years (30 years ago) of detecting, I did rub some Merc dimes with Baking Soda. It made them look like I just brought them home from the local coin shop. I just dont like that look, knowing that I dug them out of the dirt. Your coin has a nice gun metal grey look to it, and if it were mine it would go into my coin book looking just like that.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boiling water foil soda method would probably work pretty well on that coin. I could take several times through the process each time it will lighten it up a bit on one side. If the coin is pitted from interaction with the ground it may not look so nice if you clean it. I'd personally be tempted to clean that one. Great find though congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the seated! :occasion14:

IMHO: I just use soap and water only on silver coins...just me.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice seated save, congratulations. If the date is visible I put them in the display case as is.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For common date silver that I want to make shiny and silver looking again, I put them in the bottom of an inverted aluminum can and soak them in white vinegar. After a couple of hours, I'll pull it out and rub over the coin with baking soda. If it now looks the way I want it, I'll then rinse it off in water and pat dry. If it needs more, it's back in the vinegar. Sometimes badly caked, crusted, tarnished silver needs to soak overnight, but too long and the silver will pit, so, I check the progress every so often if i'm concerned about it. After you done quite a few, you'll be able to tell what amount of time is about right for that particular item. I do it with jewelry too, unless it's just silver plated. It'll sometimes take the plating off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread