Went back to the Liberty Cap site...need button/bullet ID help!

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Thanks for the warm response to my post yesterday. Went out to the same site and pulled some more goodies. I did my best on the button to get close ups and would greatly appreciate the button folks to help me on the ID and age.

Threw the Liberty Cap and LH Scovill button in there again with the group shot.

Pulled a couple wheats, a 1906 Indian, a 26 merc, 59 rosie, a thin .925 ring, a bent button, a concave button (shank gone), a roached buffalo nickel and wheat appears to be a 3 ringer. Would also welcome confirmation on age/type, etc.

Thanks for the help and happy hunting!

-Hunter

IMG_1813.JPG

IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1815.JPG

IMG_1817.JPG

IMG_1818.JPG

Upvote 11

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (current)
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (current)
Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

dirtTick

Jul 7, 2014
Johns Island, SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 (current)
Garrett AT PRO
White's Prizm 5G

Garrett Pro-Pointer AT (current)
Garrett CSI Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely close.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hbeaton

hbeaton

Jun 4, 2005
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Lairmo, that looks similar yes, but the backmark is different. The one you list has Rich Treble Gilt wheres mine is just Treble Gilt. Furthermore, the typefont is different as well. The "Gilt" on mine is a large script typeface relative to the word "Treble" which is different. The "rays" coming out from the shank look very similar. Looking at your source the Relicman website, this button may be another variant of the Albert NA62 (which apparently has several variants of a 13 stars 5/6 point stars, etc).

Hopefully a few more folks may find the "smoking" button for mine.

Thanks for the help!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Lairmo, that looks similar yes, but the backmark is different. The one you list has Rich Treble Gilt wheres mine is just Treble Gilt. Furthermore, the typefont is different as well. The "Gilt" on mine is a large script typeface relative to the word "Treble" which is different. The "rays" coming out from the shank look very similar. Looking at your source the Relicman website, this button may be another variant of the Albert NA62 (which apparently has several variants of a 13 stars 5/6 point stars, etc).

Hopefully a few more folks may find the "smoking" button for mine.

Thanks for the help!

Yeah, I pulled the pic from the web...and then just copied the site for reference..Is your's a Two-piece or one-piece?

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the nice finds! :occasion14:

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm posting here in response to a request by this button's finder (hbeaton):

It has nothing to do with George Washington, because it is from many years after his Presidency ended (in 1797). Having the shield on the
right-hand side of the button means it is from no earlier than 1810.

It isn't any of the buttons which have been posted in this discussion, nor any variation of them, because its emblem is indented (or as the Albert
book says, "impressed"), instead of being a raised emblem. I'm amazed that nobody seems to have noticed that hugely important characteristic.

Having an indented/impressed emblem means it is a variation of US Navy button NA-31 in the Albert book. Equally as important, the indented/impressed
emblem includes a lined background... which NA-31 buttons do not have.

Hbeaton, during my 40+ years of closely studying historical US Military buttons, I've never seen your button in any book, nor anyplace in real-life.
It is a SPECTACULAR find. Please try to tell major collectors like William Leigh and Dan Binder about it. (I should mention, they've seen even more
US Military buttons than I have, so perhaps they know of another specimen of your button in existence.) Please also send an email about your button to
R.J. Silverstein, the owner of the US Navy buttons website at the link posted by dirtTick:
* 1794 ? 1865 *~ The United States Navy ~* The Republic of Texas *Confederate Navy ? George Washington Inaugural Buttons

Last edited:

ShovelinDave

Jul 11, 2009
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bandido 2 - umax, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW... a couple of silver dimes, a three ringer and an old button that hasn't been identified yet. Here we go again. I wish you the best of luck on getting it identified and maybe a spot up top. SD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread