St Patrick's Farthings & Halfpennies

bigjerryok

Sep 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here’s a bit of an odd bod, or two odd bods to be precise. St Patrick farthings and halfpennies were originally minted for use in Ireland just after the middle of the 17th century. They were subsequently used as coinage in the Isle of Man and in the New World in America. The obverse features biblical harp player King David, with the legend “FLOREAT REX” - May the king flourish. The reverse shows St Patrick chasing the snakes out of Ireland, with the legend “QVIESCAT PLEBS” - May the people be calm. Bit of a pleb myself!

The links below are really good and provides more information on this numismatic oddity (the quality image is borrowed from the first website). Do any of our American friends possess indigenously found examples of these coins?

St Patrick's Farthing

Pat1.jpg Pat2.jpg

Upvote 13

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, not had one myself.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know this would be a pretty uncommon find in Massachusetts. I'm sure there are some out there.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
very cool on all accounts

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice indeed! Happy hunting.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

JohnFritz

Greenie
Oct 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I'm not posting twice - I'm a first time poster, Anyway, found one back in 1999 in Wales in a horse pasture (I live in PA) .Horses were a little upset at my presence and I left shortly after this saw the light of day. Didn't know what it was at the time so I swung by a local coin dealer who made me an offer to buy it. I don't recall the offer, but like so many here I don't sell ANYTHING I find. Thanks for giving me a reason to post. IMG_2066.jpg IMG_2065.jpg

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins, I have never seen one either. I assume you dug them so congratulations

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope I'm not posting twice - I'm a first time poster, Anyway, found one back in 1999 in Wales in a horse pasture (I live in PA) .Horses were a little upset at my presence and I left shortly after this saw the light of day. Didn't know what it was at the time so I swung by a local coin dealer who made me an offer to buy it. I don't recall the offer, but like so many here I don't sell ANYTHING I find. Thanks for giving me a reason to post. View attachment 1695491 View attachment 1695497

Nice save, congratulations & welcome to Tnet from upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread