Beautiful Barber Dime

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey everybody!

I got out for a few hours yesterday afternoon with my brother and Echoplex. We had a fun outing and everyone came away with a couple notable coins.

The best part was early in the hunt when Echoplex called us over because he had a quarter signal that could possibly be a half. He flipped back the plug and we all saw a big silver rim on edge at 5 inches. Half dollar!

He carefully extracted it and we saw how worn it was. Most of the newer half dollars aren’t worn that badly. He put some water on it and boom! 1896-S Barber half. His first ever and what a great date! So fun to. He there to witness it.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553524772.108266.jpg

I’d been pulling wheats all day and saw Echoplex was about to hit the road. I was detecting over to him and got a 12-42 (penny) hit at 4 inches. While he and my brother were standing there I was like, “Hey guys, I was just waiting for an audience. Check out this Barber Dime.” They couldn’t believe it. It’s a beautiful 1908–S.

I finished the day with 11 wheats and one of them was a pretty good one, 1926-S.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553524896.059197.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1553524916.693242.jpg

Good luck out there and happy hunting!
-W

Upvote 23

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only blemish I can see is an old nick on the rim at 8 o'clock. I would think it would grade rather high. The barbers I dig are usually pretty worn. Again, very nice find!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that was a nice hunt. The dime is in really good shape and the half is a scarce find. Congrats.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both coins are awesome and being both Barbers is way cool too. glad you guys had such a great time

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet large silver! Nice wheat cents...:icon_thumleft:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great looking dime, must have been near new when dropped, congratulations on all

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That dime is beautiful. You gotta be proud!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions