Brought the new Nox 600 out for a stroll

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Thanks to RobNC I've added the Equinox 600 to my arsenal, and being such a beautiful day I took her for a walk in my backyard. My overall impression was very positive, and it was nice to get back in the mud again. I ran in Park 2 and tried a pair of the SoundPeats LL earbuds. Unfortunately, they did not work out well; the static was unbearable, so I just ran off the speaker as I had left the headphones inside and I didn't have much daylight to work with.

I dug quite a bit of can slaw, all hitting in the 11/12 range, then hit a metal spike/rod at about 4". My interesting find for the day was a brass 1991 Namco arcade token at about 3", hitting a solid 20/21. I did a little research and found that these were in production from 1991 - 2004, so I was thrilled to find one from the first production year, and it was in pretty fare shape.

I'm finding pinpointing to be a bit of a challenge with this machine, but I'm happy to say that everything I dug was either in the plug or right on the bottom edge of my hole, so I know I'm close. My ACE 250 was a dead on pinpointer, and I'm sure with many hours behind me I'll find the same sweet spot for the Nox. My XPointer was a valuable ally in tracking everything down; that was a new addition as I never had used one in years past. Now, I can't imagine ever not having a pinpointer.

I'm looking forward to many hours learning the language of this machine, and am grateful that winter is finally over!

bar (2).JPG Namco2.JPG Namco1.JPG

Upvote 10

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! :icon_thumleft: I think winter is over here, or I should say I hope it's over!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a cool token. Good luck out there.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice token. I'm sure you will like your 600. I have the 800 and its a great detector. I also had some minor trouble with pinpointing, as I was use to the Explorer SE Pro, which is an excellent pin pointing detector. You will get it in time.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and good luck with the new machine! :occasion14:

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I came from an A250 to the 600 as well. The pinpointing with the A250 was also spot on for me, I could dig a dime 5” down and only need a 4” dia plug. You will eventually get use to the Nox pinpointing, not spot on but good enough if you dig an 8” plug. Weird that you had static issues with the Sound Peats. Try them again at another site or noise cancel. I’m also tracking with you on starting with the A250 and not using a handheld pinpointer, but now could not hunt without it. Have fun!

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on your new machine & the token, many good recoveries will come your way, HH

RobNC

Jan 5, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
EQ800 (Stock Coil), Nokta Legend (LG30/LG24)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad to see you have it out giving it some exercise.
That Namco token is really cool. I've never seen one of those before. One thing I learned about the Equinox and pinpointing is that if you turn on pinpointing start by getting down the middle of the target left to right. Drag your coil top down until it loses signal then come back up enough to get that signal. It's usually under the tip. Some do it opposite and that works also. If you get that target lined up in the middle of the coil (from left to right) all you have to do then is get the top down position located. I got good with the pinpointing function. It's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. A good pinpointer is a necessity also. Minelab ProFind is a good pinpointer.

Unfortunately I am finding that "interference free" feature seems to only ring true with the Equinox. When I use the Pro Find 35 with my ORX I get a HUGE interference chatter on frequency 13-14.4khz
I'm also confused about your earbuds not working as you expected. I had a pair of Paww AptX headphones paired to that Equinox and they were perfect with no issue. Don't forget to always do a Noise Cancel too, when you change modes. It helps.

I also observed can slaw at the 11-12 and 16-18 range. Usually a nickel will be dead on 13 or 12-13. The more spread you get on the target ID the more likely it isn't a good thing to dig. 20-21 in my experience with the 600 was zinc dimes and sometimes corroded wheats. Copper pennies,better condition wheat pennies and clad dimes/silver merc dime 24-26 on that detector. Quarters equal 28-30. The only time I seen very high readings above 30 they were deep iron.
Size 10.5 10k gold men's band equaled 14. Sadly soda can pulltabs also came in around 14 also.

In the 2 times I've had it out so far I've yet to take the ORX anywhere I went with the EQ600 so can't compare results at this point. Weather, work, and my cough/cold/sinuses haven't allowed a hunt yet in the spots I took the Equinox 600.

The Equinox 600 is a capable unit with a no-nonsense approach to detecting, is light and has a display you can see well. It will be interesting though if Minelab comes out with another update for it soon and how it performs after that. My biggest problem with it was I found myself wanting more adjustments.. that only the 800 could offer and wondering if that extra tinkering ability would have let me set tones in a way my ears and brain could have interpreted better. Also wondered about the Gold modes the 800 had.
I seriously hope you find a mason jar full of gold coins with the Equinox. Nothing would make me happier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread