Middle School Detecting Hunt Reveals Mercury Dime Spill!

starwarsblazer

Jul 24, 2007
Portland, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Today I had to work early and no school, so I decided to take my buddy out metal detecting (it was only his second time and he was hooked after the first time out :D) We went to my old middle school and worked our way around the soccer field that leads to the elementary down the road and after finding some clad, I hear a nice sound next to the tennis court and about three inches down I pull out a dime, thinking it was newer because it was still shiny. But no, to my absolute surprise it was a 1944S Mercury dime. I was hooting and hollering showing off my find to my buddy. I rescanned the hole to check if anything else was there and low and behold, another Mercury dime, 1939 came out looking beautiful. After five years of detecting, these two made my total silver dime count only five (4 Mercs and 1 Rosie).....I don't get out much as detecting is just a side hobby for me. So I rescanned the hole and BAM! more signals. Getting super excited I dug down a little more and pulled out two wheaties, 1957 and 1945 as well as a 1959 penny. Not too bad for one hole! We finished the day with about five bucks in clad combined, odds and ends from the field, I got a religious pendant of some sort (dont think it is gold, but rather gold plated), a lot of trash and the Merc's. We are both planning on coming back next weekend to search again when we both have more time. It was a great day of detecting here and hope everyone else had luck wherever they may be! Happy Hunting

Attachments

• mercurydimedrop10607.jpg
    mercurydimedrop10607.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 591
  • riversidefinds10607.jpg
    riversidefinds10607.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 598
  • silvergoldreligious10607.jpg
    silvergoldreligious10607.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 587
  • wheatpennyspill10607.jpg
    wheatpennyspill10607.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 588
Upvote 0

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That religious medal is nice. And silver also. Good hunt! 8)

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
congrats on the mercs and all the finds. I had a hit like that many years ago, wow talk about the adrenaline rush when you hit a honey hole like that...

You might want to sweep the entire area if you can, if stuff like that is in one place, good chance it's all over there.

Aaron

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tymcmurray said:
Very nice hunt. Congratulations.
I think I would be there after the next rain too.

Yep, after the next good rain...Go all metal dig everything in the area..AWESOME Mercs....Tom

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Nice.Maybe finding those Mercs will make detecting your primary hobby.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver....gotta love those Mercs!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds and to find all that in one hole is fantastic ;D congrats to you and i sure do love those mercs ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions