Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting three Civil War sites for the past couple weeks. Yesterday was great, I got a lot of different items. Not everything is cleaned up yet, it does take awhile.

DSCN0137.JPG The first pic is a knapsack "triangle" in brass, a bent iron wire for unknown purposes and iron buckles.

DSCN0136.JPG Second picture is three equipment buckles and a nice Civil War fork. I have a second one but it is uncleaned as of yet.

DSCN0134.JPG DSCN0132.JPG DSCN0135.JPG
DSCN0133.JPG Two nearly complete ration cans, they are HARD to get these days, some lids to the cans, and the neck to a CW champagne bottle.

DSCN0138.JPG .69 caliber Confederate Gardner bullet, Union 6th corps badge in brass and half to a bowl of a CW pipe.

DSCN0139.JPG Sharps bullets, one 3 ringer and other lead.

DSCN0140.JPG Three pieces to brass pen knives, What is probably a small piece (on the right) of a busted "US" plate, porcelain button, iron underwear button, lead.

DSCN0141.JPG Four Union eagle buttons and a nasty looking eagle "V" button, my first. Underwear button and brass grommet to poncho. One of the eagles looks funny as the front was partially broken and I'm filling it in with plastic to conserve it.

DSCN0142.JPG Company hat letter "B", porcelain buttons, underwear buttons, two percussion caps, shield shaped item in brass, more of those blasted poncho grommets (signals sound like cuff eagle buttons, oh the horror of it), two more porcelain buttons, camp lead, and one of my favorites, to the right of the percussion caps is a button made of horn!

Not shown: a complete Enfield ramrod, cut carefully into two pieces, and half a bucket of glass, nails, and I'm missing a couple eagle buttons and a few other items I have put...somewhere close. This was a LOT of work, but the Deus worked like a champ in the undetectable red Virginia dirt.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just to make sure you understand, I was calling you the Deus Whisperer, you work that elliptical like a pro

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you. I stopped going a few years ago. Without a pulse induction machine like the GPX, you have no chance anymore. Brandy Rock has been pounded, but they're still pulling lots of great relics out of there. A hunt just finished up. Check out their Facebook page...hard to believe the quantity and quality still coming out of there!

Yea,
Tho I have never been to a DIV , I don't have the 'Pulse' or the $ for such a hunt , but one in on my "To do before my" Great Gig in The Sky".

I dose seem the (non-nail) relics will be all gone soon as Civil War relics in the ground are not renewable .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. At one point I resorted to the shovel and the pinpointer, and used to machine to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I have a gallon of other relics from the site from this week. Mostly junk. Still cleaning the ramrod, it's almost done.

BTW someone once upon a time ago had dug the ration cans and deposited them next to the base of a tree.

Notice most of the targets are very small? That's how the site is. The big brass and silvers (for the most part) have been dug in the last century.

The Big 69 Gardner is a nice find along with the Badge , I would not have the patience or skill to preserve the ration cans, great job there.

IMO You are hardcore & die hard.

P.S.
Stuff is small here also & hard to find , I got the first GS cuff in a couple years last week & felt like I got a 'Plate'.
I'm very happy to have found that.

GD & GD

OtakuDude

Apr 16, 2007
Monee, IL
I hear you. I stopped going a few years ago. Without a pulse induction machine like the GPX, you have no chance anymore. Brandy Rock has been pounded, but they're still pulling lots of great relics out of there. A hunt just finished up. Check out their Facebook page...hard to believe the quantity and quality still coming out of there!

link?

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIV is a great experience. However, surface hunting finds even with a PI machine are getting hard find in the camps around Culpeper. Digging trash pits and hut sites are where folks are having the best luck. Listening for the deep iron signals is the way to go...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weeellll...I regret to inform you there are no more Civil War relics in that part of Virginia. Not really, but...I went back today, got up very late this am and decided what the heck, go for it. I "marched" over to the same area all the other stuff was found, got some iffy targets on the Deus and found the edge of the 8" deep hole I had started.

First two shovels led me to a happy dance! First out was a porcelain CW button, then nails, joy, then busted glass, joy, then an underwear button, then an eagle button, and a piece of clay pipe stem. Then I got to shovel #3. I'm going slow, checking the hole with the machine, hearing stuff, digging it out, spreading it out, checking the dug out dirt with the machine again, and they going for the stuff with the pinpointer.

My pinpointer is tired. For the sheer number of non ferrous relics, this has been my best day in YEARS! Probably 25 buttons of all kinds, about 10 bullets, some camp lead, no hat numbers (drat it), some whatzits and other cool stuff. I'm so tired I'm shaking.

I'm going digging elsewhere the next few days, so.....hopefully I will have the stuff cleaned up...this year. Those underwear button really need to be cleaned up to show up in a photo nicely.

Even dug what I think was a FIRED CS Gardner. It is evenly mushroomed. What do you think it hit? I've seen bullets in wood, this isn't that and seen nose dives in the dirt, this isn't it, and seen rock impacted bullets, this isn't it. I will try to get some pics. Gotta make sure no ticks came home first.

Button, buttons everywhere. Who would have thought?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions