Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been detecting three Civil War sites for the past couple weeks. Yesterday was great, I got a lot of different items. Not everything is cleaned up yet, it does take awhile.

DSCN0137.JPG The first pic is a knapsack "triangle" in brass, a bent iron wire for unknown purposes and iron buckles.

DSCN0136.JPG Second picture is three equipment buckles and a nice Civil War fork. I have a second one but it is uncleaned as of yet.

DSCN0134.JPG DSCN0132.JPG DSCN0135.JPG
DSCN0133.JPG Two nearly complete ration cans, they are HARD to get these days, some lids to the cans, and the neck to a CW champagne bottle.

DSCN0138.JPG .69 caliber Confederate Gardner bullet, Union 6th corps badge in brass and half to a bowl of a CW pipe.

DSCN0139.JPG Sharps bullets, one 3 ringer and other lead.

DSCN0140.JPG Three pieces to brass pen knives, What is probably a small piece (on the right) of a busted "US" plate, porcelain button, iron underwear button, lead.

DSCN0141.JPG Four Union eagle buttons and a nasty looking eagle "V" button, my first. Underwear button and brass grommet to poncho. One of the eagles looks funny as the front was partially broken and I'm filling it in with plastic to conserve it.

DSCN0142.JPG Company hat letter "B", porcelain buttons, underwear buttons, two percussion caps, shield shaped item in brass, more of those blasted poncho grommets (signals sound like cuff eagle buttons, oh the horror of it), two more porcelain buttons, camp lead, and one of my favorites, to the right of the percussion caps is a button made of horn!

Not shown: a complete Enfield ramrod, cut carefully into two pieces, and half a bucket of glass, nails, and I'm missing a couple eagle buttons and a few other items I have put...somewhere close. This was a LOT of work, but the Deus worked like a champ in the undetectable red Virginia dirt.

Last edited:
Upvote 25

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt indeed! Glad to see you saving the history.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will get cleaned further and boxed and labeled correctly. Takes forever.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some really nice CW saves. Your nomenclature is excellent. Congrats!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice hunts, congrats! :occasion14:

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some real nice pieces of saved history along with a great description of each piece. Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. Congrats.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, not Brandy Rock. I was there a few years ago but didn't do very well. I can't dig three days in a row anymore.

DigginNorthernVa

Jul 9, 2018
Fairfax Station, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue and Gray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you. I stopped going a few years ago. Without a pulse induction machine like the GPX, you have no chance anymore. Brandy Rock has been pounded, but they're still pulling lots of great relics out of there. A hunt just finished up. Check out their Facebook page...hard to believe the quantity and quality still coming out of there!

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a good haul smokey! Dont think I've seen many eagle V's dug on T-net.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a PI machine. A few years ago when I went there I got 4 bullets and a button back. One guy had about 20 POUNDS of nails to go with his 20 or so minie balls. Not for me. Diggerkidd2003, that was my first corps badge and first eagle "V". Both in the same place. You can go a full day there and maybe get one good target, or hit a Civil War trash area and do what happened here.

Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You still rock Gal! that was a lot of up and down and many holes dug for all of those prizes. I know that you had to feel that for a day or two. The Deus Whisperer

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for sharing and congrats!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all. At one point I resorted to the shovel and the pinpointer, and used to machine to make sure I hadn't missed anything. I have a gallon of other relics from the site from this week. Mostly junk. Still cleaning the ramrod, it's almost done.

BTW someone once upon a time ago had dug the ration cans and deposited them next to the base of a tree.

Notice most of the targets are very small? That's how the site is. The big brass and silvers (for the most part) have been dug in the last century.

Last edited:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice digs Smokey!! My favorites are the "V" button,.69 Gardner and the hat pin :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That's a lot of finds! Congratulations! You obviously worked hard to recover those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread