Hit the Grist Mill today.

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
This mill was in operation in the late 1800's into the early 1900's, they made wooden buckets, up until it burned down. We had hit the spot before, got skunked, we were on the wrong side of the brook and falls. So Dan and I decided to stop there befre we hit the corn fields, which we never made, got carried away at the mill. The only coin was a 1935 wheatie, but allot of interesting relics. A couple of whole bottles, allot of pottery shards, neat little ceramic button, a few what is it's.

The small tin looks like it opened at one time, I don't think there was anything in it. The copper? pipe has a wooden insert with a hole drilled through it hmmmm, no clue what it is (was). An old oil lamp that is in pretty good shape, a wood splitter, a stove door?, old lead pipe.

The 1940 license plate made my day until a friend showed up with a set for our 33 ford pick up. :-\ Kind of made mind look sad. :D He actually bought a whole set all the same license # from 1927 through 1940, there are a couple of years missing, but a great set. He gave us the 33 for our truck. SWEET!

Dan got a little excited about the penny (his oldest find yet) and ran to the brook to rinse it off so he coluld see the date.

We found an old well we detected around, allot of iron signals, we did not dig them all due to limited time and trying to get to the fields. We stopped for a bit and hit the old rock walls, I found me an old shovel I forgot to grab on the way out.

All in all it was a beautiful day and we got out!

Attachments

• grist mill-010.JPG
    grist mill-010.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • grist mill-014.JPG
    grist mill-014.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,001
  • grist mill-013.JPG
    grist mill-013.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • grist mill-012.JPG
    grist mill-012.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 1,017
  • grist mill-006.JPG
    grist mill-006.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • grist mill-005.JPG
    grist mill-005.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,038
  • grist mill-011.JPG
    grist mill-011.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 1,044
  • grist mill-003.JPG
    grist mill-003.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,052
Upvote 0
OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
More of the finds.

Attachments

• grist mill-023.JPG
    grist mill-023.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 949
  • grist mill-021.JPG
    grist mill-021.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 955
  • grist mill-020.JPG
    grist mill-020.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 964
  • grist mill-019.JPG
    grist mill-019.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 978
  • grist mill-018.JPG
    grist mill-018.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 971
  • grist mill-017.JPG
    grist mill-017.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • grist mill-015.JPG
    grist mill-015.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 965
  • grist mill-025.JPG
    grist mill-025.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 951

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds CG! I hunted an old mill this week as well, only dug screw caps, bottle caps and flood aluminum along the river. Mills only seem to give up a few relics and a rare coin find like your hunt produced. I have hunted 6 old mills with minimal finds, not much LOL! HH, Mike

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice finds !!! love the licence plate ;)

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
I know it's junk to some people, but I, like you, love anything old.
Looks lik you guys did pretty good.
congratulations.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Well Kim...I'm envious ;D

Think the best finds of the day were those 3 batteries...any idea how old they are? ::)

Seriously, I think the two of you did well and seemed to have fun too!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I am so glad you got to get out and find some cool stuff! Looks like you guys had a blast!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CG,
Congrats on the relics. I like finding those old license plates. That is a beautiful spot you have there. Thanks for the great pictures. How cool is it up your way?
Please tell Dan to toss that wheat penny into the stream. I want to see if Kirk picks it up further down stream in PA. ;D
-MM-

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the blue glass, congrats on the other finds as well

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Seriously, I have so many sites to hunt, I can't cover them all, not in 100 years :-\. So I have decided to hit every spot for 2 hours, date the sites, and go back to the oldest sites?

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm probably going to jinx myself, but....I have a $650 ring to find. Great put the pressure on! 10:30 tomarrow :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\.

I'd rather find lamps and license plates, throw a couple of bottles in for good luck? ;D

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Great relics from a great old site. You must have had a lot of fun!

My fave is the lamp, much more complete 'fragment' than I've seen before.

Johnny Cache Hunter

Oct 16, 2006
North America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox, White's Spectra V3, Minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job Country Girl!

I think that mill may still hold more surprises for you.
Was the blue bottle embossed? It'll look good on a window sill when the sun hits it.
Was that well deep? Wonder if anybody threw a few coins in there for some wishes.

HH,

JCH

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the license plate!!

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Funny....Dan said he wished you guys were with us, we would have deffinately found some old coins.

The blue bottle says BROMO SELTZER EMERSON DRUG CO. I agree it will look nice catching the sun rays.

I'm not sure how deep the well is, we are going to check it out next trip. Dan said him and Ty used to throw coins in there and make wishes. So we know there is change in there. Probably will leave it there so we don't break the wish ;).

diggitdoggie

Sep 26, 2006
Ohio
CG,
That looks like one of the prettiest places I have seen to detect.
I love the old finds..that Bromo bottle is beautiful.
Thanks for sharing.
Good luck on the hunt today!

:)
DD

hybrid_XLT

Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those walls look very promising Country Girl, especially the moss covered one. Mass plate must of been a thrill to dig up

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Kim, what a great post, love the photos of the site, and can imagine where I would be pinging and enjoying it! Funny, I was just looking at one of my Bromo bottles I found years ago, just this past Friday, it is on display in the window above the kitchen sink and that cobalt blue color is just so pretty. (My Bromo is from around 1918 era btw)

License plates are always nice to to find, been quite awhile but one thing about them, you usually have no trouble dating them! :)

Contrary to what Mike has said, millsites have been my bread and butter all these years, and the workers did lose artifacts. Also, if the sites were of some size, then there would be additional cellarholes within reasonable walking distance along any old dirt or now paved road leading to and from the millsite.......

More to come I am sure from you.

Don

OP
OP
COUNTRY GIRL

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
Funny how you forget old wooded dirt roads aren't something people see every day. When that's where you live and grew up, I guess you just take it for granted. I'll have to take more pictures for you folks.

I have been itching to get back to that mill, and am gld I finally did. We actually had to climb down the rocks holding onto a big tree, cross the brook near the water fall (pretty dry with the lack of rain), back up the rocks onto a rock foundation that the streams run on both sides of. We were thinking that it was part of the foundation, and the water ran under or through part of the structure, which would make sense if the were using the water for power? It was pretty steep, but worth the effort. We detected along the stream on the other side, rock hopped under the bridge, along an old forgotten road to where we found the well. I would love to dig all the iron around that well, just to see what it is, nothing like a few good 'ol nails :D.

It was a fun time.

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
Hey CG,nice pics and nice story!Take it from a guy who's spent the last ten years or so concentrating mainly on old foundations.The well is the most likely area to dig up old coins.People made at least two trips to the well a day and the line from the house to the well usually produces at least one or two coins.Problem is they are usually masked by alot of junk,so work that line and dig up all the junk and you just may uncover some goodies!Best of luck to you, Bootstrap

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions