paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk about your unexpected finds; I was rechecking a cellar hole I had done previously and happened on a huge and obvious signal right at the surface next to a tree. This spot had been hit before I got there so I figured it was a chunk of iron they had left. Imagine my surprise:

20190331_180506.jpg

The roots and frost must have worked it towards the surface and maybe the first couple of detectorists that came through assumed it was a junk signal and didn't bother digging after it. Good thing I was in a junk digging mood! :laughing7:

It's cartoonishly large so I didn't think it was a real key, but rather a commemorative or decorative piece of some sort. Here it is cleaned up:

DSC03877.JPG DSC03879.JPG DSC03878.JPG

The last photo shows the screwed-in brass plate with the degree scale that gave it away. It's a thermometer holder! Never heard of one like this and it took me awhile, but I did find a non-dug one listed for sale online.

s-l1600.jpg

It's quite nice looking when intact and I love the horseshoe motif. Too bad mine was broken. It's listed as 1870's too so it has some age to it which is nice. Not much else turned up at that spot, but this is certainly one of the more unique relics I've found so all in all a good hunt!

Upvote 24
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool relic, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty cool and a nice display piece Id be happy to find that bad boy. Well done

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
Excellent find .
Well done !

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites