First scouting mission into a promising area. Cool Victorian doorbell!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
I recently received exclusive permission to metal detect an area of State owned property that I knew had a few foundations on it. More extensive research using maps from 1906 revealed that at that time there were over 30 homes in about a 10 sq. mile area...all now open to me! More research showed that this area has history going back to the mustering of troops for the war of 1812, so the true age of some of these homes is yet unknown. I believe they MAY have been inhabited up to the early 1960s though...so modern trash would be present but the cross-mix of coins might make the sites very productive.
Saturday, after my son Spencer played in a double header (in the second game he struck out 13 of 17 batters he faced!) he and I headed over to explore a bit of the area. It was almost 4pm by the time we arrived so we knew we had little time.
After parking in an area where hunters (the kind that shoot animals...not coins) park we geared up to head out.
trip1.jpg
I picked a spot where there should have been 3 homes in close proximity to each other. I arrange my maps with the original first with details circled and numbered. Subsequent pages have sat. photos showing closeups of each detail area to help ID key large trees, trails, etc.
trip2.jpg
At the second site we did find a cellarhole and TONS of ferrous. After about the 12th sq. nail we moved on. Not being impatient...just trying to find a less-dense area to hunt for the last hour or so of decent light. Here's Spencer checking around some foundation stones.
trip3.jpg
In the end I found some cool stuff and Spencer found some bottles.
trip4.jpg
There was a fired musketball with a thick white patina indicating to me some age.
firedball.jpg
A small broach with small berries and two leaves and the only coin of the short hunt, a 1937 wheatie.
broachpenny.jpg
closeup of my favorite find, a Victorian cast brass doorbell.
doorbell.jpg
Mystery item..corroded copper with hinge and spring on one end. Looks like it used to be some type of oval cover at one time.
mysteryitem.jpg
Here's the doorbell cleaned up. Looks like maybe there were stones in the eyes at one time.
bellcleaned.jpg

Darkness fell TOO quickly. I think this is an area I could hunt for years to come. Certainly with over 30 cellarholes, a few should hit bigtime for some nice coinage.

HH all!

Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Wow! That was a great hunt!
You look like you were researched and ready.
The doorbell is fantastic. A snake is a little odd, though.
How did the brooch clean up?
Congratulations a definitely in order.

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
tymcmurray said:
Wow! That was a great hunt!
You look like you were researched and ready.
The doorbell is fantastic. A snake is a little odd, though.
How did the brooch clean up?
Congratulations a definitely in order.

The broach says Germany on the backside but seems to be made of crap metal and is corroded pretty well. It cleaned up ok..
I thought the snake was odd too for a doorbell. I spent some time yesterday trying to date it. I found TONS of Victorian mechanical doorbells...cast in a huge variety of designs...but none like this.

doozis

Jul 31, 2007
Virginia
Awesome Dan ,
Your research has led you to a metal detector's paradise ;)
It's great to have your son involved too , I congratulate him
on an excellent pitching performance :)

Doozis

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
doozis said:
Awesome Dan ,
Your research has led you to a metal detector's paradise ;)
It's great to have your son involved too , I congratulate him
on an excellent pitching performance :)

Doozis

I wouldn't say paradise yet Doozis. Mirage and I have spent a lot of time hunting what should have been great areas just to find a few coins and relics.
I would think though because there are over 30 homes here SOME of them should hit big.
As to Spencer's pitching...this has been a LOT of fun for him. He was invited to pitch in six games in a 14-15 yr old Fall Developmental League so these are older, bigger kids (he's 13) and he's doing quite well. That and it's great to see him play with kids he doesn't even know.

paul1410

Feb 6, 2007
Land of the Cheese Steak
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
Very cool door bell, Dan!

Looks like you were well prepared for this hunt.

Looking forward to reading about more finds from here.

Good luck to your son.

Thanks for sharing.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool adventure ,that door bell rocks!

fd3615

Jan 25, 2007
California - Solano County
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Sunray X-1 Probe
cool finds... wtg... cant wait to see what else you find out there... thats enough land for you and your son to hunt for years...

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
poppa19 said:
very cool looking doorbell. any idea on the age?

My best guess is late 1800s to perhaps 1920s

I have seen several similar ones (though not w/a snake in the grass like that) from that time frame. There would have been a turn key mounted under it. Twist the key and through gears a spinner would strike the bell from inside. You can see where the striker dented the edge it struck.
Here's a picture showing the underside of the bell and you can see the striker's edge.

Attachments

• bellinside.jpg
    bellinside.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 613

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an opportunity and great research, Dan! :o Awesome doorbell! Never seen one like it..

Congrats and good luck on your return!!

Nana :)

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
fd3615 said:
cool finds... wtg... cant wait to see what else you find out there... thats enough land for you and your son to hunt for years...

Mirage and his son Nate no doubt will be joining me as well. Plenty to go around!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,
It's already been said, but "that doorbell is the bomb!!!" What an awesome find.
How did you get that sucker looking like new?
Do you have hunting season going on now up there? Be carefull. I started wearing a bright orange t-shirt on my lunchtime farm hunts.
Congrats to you guys, and also for scoring a great new spot.
-MM-

OP
OP
Danimal

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
ModernMiner said:
Dan,
It's already been said, but "that doorbell is the bomb!!!" What an awesome find.
How did you get that sucker looking like new?
Do you have hunting season going on now up there? Be carefull. I started wearing a bright orange t-shirt on my lunchtime farm hunts.
Congrats to you guys, and also for scoring a great new spot.
-MM-

That sucker came out of the ground in great shape. All I did was a soap and toothbrush routine. My guess is brass but some were cast iron. I'd think if it was iron ther'd be corrosion. Maybe bronze??
I think I'm gonna make a cherry base with a threaded stud...find red stones for the eyes and make it into a paperweight for my desk at work (great idea Plehbah!)

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Two good outings, one on the hill and the other in the wild! You'll have to come up with a name for this site so we'll recognize it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions