niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some research and discovered 2 secret swimming spots in south east Idaho. I picked up my buddy Gary at 8am and we drove the 2 hours in the rain to the small town. The place was unsearchable with a metal detector because of concrete with rebar everywhere, so we elected to use a screen to sift out a small section of the bottom where I judged the lost items would accumulate. There was about 18 inches of standing water, (the spot is drained in the winter) and I forgot my waders, so I was almost knee deep in freezing cold water, but with the first shovel full of gravel the 10k ring with the blue stone showed up in the screen, so I forgot about my cold feet! After that we shoveled gravel at a steady pace, with silver and gold rings showing up steadily. All the rings came from a 3 x 6 foot area, and we dug about 12 inches down to hard clay. After 2 hours we had 3 gold rings and 7 silver rings, with 1 brass ring and 1 stainless steel ring. We packed up and went to the second site, which was a mirror image of the first, except that it was farther from town. We started sifting the sweet spot, and after about an hour we had another 4 silver rings and a brass bracelet, for a total of 3 10k gold rings, 11 silver, and 2 junk rings, also quite a few coins not pictured, a few bucks worth. Pretty happy with the results, but by the time we got back home my teeth were chattering from being cold and wet, and I was dead tired. Resized_20190414_152355(3).jpeg Resized_20190414_152402(3).jpeg Resized_20190415_134102.jpeg

Upvote 41

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!!!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Great research and recovery methods. Awesome results. Congrats!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that's awsome....pretty incredible, congrats !!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer hunt! :notworthy:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is some serious effort with awesome results- Congrats!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
INCREDIBLE !! We should call you "Ringie" like Tim "The Ringmaster" Saylor from "Diggers". Nice "sifts" ! Congrats ! I'm sure there are more goodies at
your new-found secret swimming holes. Go get 'em !! When the water gets warmer, masks & snorkels would serve you & your buddy Gary well.
In the early 1990's, my buddy & me hit the site of an old hotel in St. Maarten that was frequented by the rich & famous jet-setters of the 1950's & '60's.
We were underwater at the base of a huge cliff where the hotel used to be. After major storms & erosion, the hotel complex collapsed, & damaged debris
was scattered all over the place. The rebar embedded concrete was a MAJOR factor. Your sifting method in the low, gravely areas would have been the way to go.
I'm sure there was some good stuff there & still is, but it was nearly impossible to work with a detector. Thanks for your post. Happy Hunting !!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's was some hard work but paid off well. I have tried a swimming hole or 2 with my xcal2 and it was just impossible to do any good. Too much junk! Congrats on the effort and rewards.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang thats gotta be a record Well done Ive got 3 in one day and was bragging lol

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one incredible haul of goodies. When I read the headline, I was thinking you must have robbed a jewelry store...Congrats!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul on the rings! Summer should be a great pay day!!!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
when you are willing to do what ever it takes, you sometimes get rewarded like that. awesome recoveries

OP
OP
niffler

niffler

Mar 19, 2008
Coos Bay, Oregon
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, DFX, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Killer B Hornets, Stealth 720i scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I am headed to another site tomorrow so I hope to keep finding good stuff. HH and GL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread