I dug my first GW INAUGURAL BUTTON!

VTColonialDigger

Oct 13, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still can't believe what a piece of American History I dug today!

The day started out with myself and 2 friends detecting in an old hayfield where we think there was an inn in the 1700's. I found a nice piece of a shoe buckle frame early on, and a couple of tombac buttons, and later I found an early brass thimble. My friends each found a copper, some buttons and other cool relics. Then things started getting slow and we decided to head to a cellar hole that was close by. That site didn't pan out so we went to another cellar hole that had been detected many times over the years, but my friend who had gotten permission to the site thought there might be some good finds left. There was a lot of iron and non-ferrous targets were few and far between. I started detecting in the thick brush where other detectorists might not have gone. I got a really nice signal ringing high 70's- 80's a few inches deep. I dug some dirt out and pulled out what I thought was a big dandy button, then I dropped it and one of my friends helped me find it. I finally found the button again and handed it to my friend. He wiped it off and said "Man, THERE'S AN EAGLE ON THERE!" I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the eagle on that button!

gwbuttonjustdug.JPG
Here's the button after we found out it was a GW button.

allfindsapr.16.JPG
These are all my finds from today. Almost all the relics were found in the field we detected early in the day. Other than the button and the suspender clip, there were not many relics found at the cellar hole.

gwbutton.JPG
This is the button after I used a Q-tip to remove just the surface dirt. I am not going to attempt to do anymore to it, as I don't want to damage it.

edit:
Here's an extra picture, I thought it was interesting- you can see the stamp of the eagle on the other side of the button!
gwbutton back.jpg

I can't get over how historic this button is. When I started detecting I would never have expected to dig something so closely connected with early U.S. history.

GL&HH
VTColonialDigger

Last edited:
Upvote 46
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer piece of history, congrats! :occasion14:

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button
Congrats

cannonball

Feb 20, 2010
East Coast NJ
Detector(s) used
DEUS 11 Fisher F75ltd,TDI Minelab Excailber
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic Find!!! You just reminded me to be more careful with finds. Congratulations

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! The GW is sweeet. But you found some other nice artifacts as well. Still, I know you flipped when you knew what you had, nice save. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread