Stumbled on an Early Homesite: 18th Century Sailing Ship Cufflink!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was revisiting a site of mine that's about a half mile into the woods on an abandoned road. It had been well hit by many detectorists before I got there so not much around, but I figured I'd give it another shot. Targets were scarce and mostly just zinc bits so I was heading back along the road in the woods when I noticed a well about 100 feet away from the homesite along a rock wall. I swung around for a bit and found a few early buttons so I started a grid and late 1700's relics were all over the place. Then I noticed a 10' by 10' shallow depression in the ground not 15 feet from the road. It was a colonial foundation! I guess everyone was so focused on the known cellar hole that they never noticed this spot as they were walking by.

Right at the lip of the cellar hole I found this cufflink:

DSC03901.JPG DSC03903.JPG DSC03906.JPG

It's larger than most cufflinks I've found (the last photo is next to a more typical sized one) and it was so encrusted I didn't notice a design until I started cleaning it. It took quite awhile, but I managed to tease the image out and recognized it as an 18th century ship. I hadn't heard of ship cufflinks before, but I did find a few examples online and they seem to be quite uncommon. This has been a great year for cool cufflinks!

Near to the cufflink I got a terrible signal that I dug anyways just to get it out of the ground. I thought it was a chunk of iron at first, but I could see just a hint of design in the mud so I cleaned it when I got back home and found this:

DSC03908.JPG DSC03909.JPG

A beautiful cast pewter knee buckle! This is only my third knee buckle and by far the most attractive. Still trying to figure out the best way to preserve the rusted remains of the workings. I don't want to remove them entirely, but they'll flake away to nothing if I don't soak it in glue or something similar. Fortunately the pewter is stable so I'm not to worried about that.

Only one coin turned up and the ground was not kind to it:

DSC03911.JPG DSC03913.JPG

It's a KGIII half penny and non-regal judging by the weight, but that's about all I can get from it. I did find what I think is a token and it's quite intriguing. I'm really hoping someone on here recognizes it because I'm sure that it's old and I would love to find out more about it:

DSC03921.JPG DSC03922.JPG DSC03923.JPG

It's quite thin and what's interesting is you can see the toolmark from where the "S" was stamped into it, but not the "C." Any thoughts on it?

There were of course a bunch of buttons around. Nothing military, but some nicely designed ones:

DSC03917.JPG DSC03918.JPG DSC03919.JPG

This may be my new favorite tombac. The design is great and it's absolutely perfect with the shank fully intact. The dandy has an interesting floral pattern too.

Here's another odd piece. The front is silvered brass while the back is pewter filled. Too small to be a martingale heart, but possibly still an adornment for horse tack.

DSC03914.JPG DSC03915.JPG

There were also a number of melted brass and copper pieces around including one huge honking blob of copper:

DSC03916.JPG

The piece on the ruler is the handle from a barrel tap and it's blistered like they were trying to recycle it but stopped before it fully melted. The hinge is blobbed towards the bottom, but they stopped before that fully melted too. Possibly a small charcoal fueled foundry?

Here's the rest of the haul from the site:

DSC03924.JPG

Nothing out of this world, but some great pieces and I love that everyone has been walking past it until now. I'll have to retrace my steps on some other old roads and see if there are similar spots still hiding! :laughing7:

Upvote 28

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like everything you've found! The craftsmanship is great! That button is really nice and that cuff-link is awesome! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great group of early finds!! That SC coin is intriguing....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thanks for the great post those are really good saves a Awesome job

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and great story. That cufflink is awesome! Looks like it was a pretty fun hunt!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have seen a couple of ships posted but they are pretty scarce. CONGRATS

The counter-stamped 'SC' looks like a very worn halfpenny.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find on the cufflink. Congrats and GL out there.

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful knee buckle and cuff link. Congrats!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting. wash them than post photos

I actually almost never use water on dug relics that have a design to them. I've found it strips the patina away and you loose most of the contrast. Toothpicking and Andre's pencils for stubborn spots seems to yield the best results but some pieces, like the KGIII halfpenny, are already too far gone to bring back the details so you have to settle for a positive ID. I actually think it turned out okay, but then I've dug plenty of blank discs. :laughing7:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a great location with those finds!!!! :icon_thumright:

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt, you recovered some amazing items, very cool buckle and cufflink, congrats on all the saves

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread