KGIII Colonial Copper plucked from a pickle field

Fugazi

Greenie
Apr 30, 2018
Detector(s) used
Ace 400 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nervously I asked for permission from land owner on a walk up cold call, at first there was a negative response but after my mention of interest in flint lock gun parts the answer was positive -- "go knock yourself out"

very active tilled field for many years, had no idea what was possible

found some musket balls that measured over a half inch and I had a good feeling about the region

some brass with hand punched holes popped up and then whammy

a big round disc in the plug about 3" down, thought it was a funny looking coin, kinda large diameter but way to thin

picked 22 and blackpower sabbotts for another hour in the rain trying to score another one but it wasnt going to happen, rushed back to measure and weigh the coin and to take some photos, turned out to be a really lucky find! My first copper coin

Specs:
27.9mm dia
1.6mm thk
6.45grams

I found a reference saying the counterfeits were lighter at around 115grains (7grams) and the true British coins were heavier at about 150grains.

I'm trying to definitively I.D. the coin, even had a chance to throw it on our x-ray machine :) its 17xx but the last two numbers are under a heavy crust and I dont know what to do from here

cc2.png cc.jpg xray colonial copper.png xray colonial copper2.jpg

Upvote 16

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Congrats on the permission and the old coin find.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the finds! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I'm telling ya farms corn pickle potato fields seem to produce pun intended. Well done

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good on you for making a cold call door knock Fugazi, it paid off handsomely for you too! :thumbsup:
This is definitely one of the hardest things we as detectorists have to do to find new sites to hunt.

Dave

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On balance of probability & especially how light it is, it must be a Counterfeit Geo III halfpenny.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your xray technique! Nice find there! Sounds like a counterfeit. I always try to weigh my coppers and determine if they are counterfeits. I only have one that I am certain is a counterfeit and that is because it retains a good amount of detail yet is thin and underweight. I love these coins! Congrats!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
British King George III halfpennies date 1770-1775 with the most common counterfeited year being 75.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions