NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I finally got on the board with silver coins for 2019. And boy, what a way to get there. My oldest coin spill and two firsts:

I was hunting a new park and started off on the sand volleyball courts looking for jewelry. The park isn't old enough for silver, but there was the chance at finding some older stuff lost in the area before the park was built. My research on topographic maps shows nothing in the area as of 1955. In the volleyball courts I got a junk earring, and the usual tabs/clad but nothing great. As I was wrapping up the second one a park maintenance guy who was cleaning the toilets asked me if I'd found anything. I told him "not much: 6 cents and some pull tabs". He got a kick out of that so I asked him which of the soccer fields was most popular, hoping to head there next. Well, he wasn't enthused about me digging on the soccer fields. He was worried about players tripping in holes. SO: I went on my merry way off into a pasture/grassy area with trees further out in the park. It didn't look like it was frequented by many visitors. I was hitting a little trash, but not too much and then BAM. Nox reads a solid and tight 33 to 35. I knew it was going to be good and was hoping for my first silver dollar. But I looked up and one of the park maintenance guys was going by on a golf cart. Not wanting to dig with him watching I marked it by kicking a stick onto it and started looping through the area. He soon left and I rushed back to dig my target. 4 inches down:

20190418_142716.jpg
20190418_142742.jpg
20190418_143205.jpg
20190418_143211.jpg

I took some photos and sent off a bunch of texts. Then went over to put the coin in the truck and take a break. After lunch, I headed back to the same spot and started circling. There were very few signals, the ground was really clean. I dug a shotgun shell about 7 feet from the dollar, then got a similar signal (18-19) and was pleasantly surprised by this 1899 IHP:

20190418_150157.jpg

Now I was starting to get excited. That was two coins within about 8 feet of each other. Next signal was a tight and solid 29-30. I was expecting a silver quarter, but when I got it out of the hole I realized it was too big...

20190418_150448.jpg
20190418_150655.jpg
20190418_150702.jpg

My first Barber half! Total was 3 coins from the same historic period within a 10 ft radius. I pounded the area for quite a while after that and didn't find anything else but a modern nickel, some can slaw, and more shotgun shells. I spiraled out around the the little pocket spill, then gridded over my spiral pattern a second time just to be sure. Nothing else. Most I can figure is it was probably a hunter's coin spill. There was a divot in the grass where a large tree had once stood, and the park is too recent for these coins. The 1955 topographic maps show the area as a field with patches of forest.

Anyway, I hunted until sundown and found a .38 musket ball, some clad and a bunch of junk. But I'm not complaining :laughing7:

Thanks for looking and good luck, the big silver is still out there waiting to be found...

-NZ49er
20190418_215511.jpg

Upvote 58

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds there! My first and only morgan was a small spill. It was a 1921, a buffalo and a 50's wheatie. The signal was not a standard good signal but I dug it. I sure was happy I did! I am still excited about that morgan and every time I see that somebody found one It reminds me off my find! Congrats! Morgans are such nice looking coins!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some awesome big silvers and a great story. You’ll never forget that hunt!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Central Texas. I'm down here for work at the moment. Home is Wyoming.

First of all, congratulations on your awesome finds! As a central Texan, I can personally relate to what you just experienced. In this area most parks and even schools were built on land donated by early property owners. By venturing out away from the "playgrounds" some amazing finds can be unearthed, sometimes in spots one would never imagine anything to be. Thumbs up on this post!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg on outta the box finds. The Silvers are really sweet. Great hunt, Congrats!

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
What a day,a Morgan and a Barber half,awesome!Lucky thing that park worker steered you off the soccer field.

adit

Apr 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x ,
Tesoro Vaquero
Beautiful silver !
Great hunt . :icon_thumright:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
What a hunt! Congratulations and thanks for getting my blood pumping!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet silver recovery, congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, congratulations on your awesome finds! As a central Texan, I can personally relate to what you just experienced. In this area most parks and even schools were built on land donated by early property owners. By venturing out away from the "playgrounds" some amazing finds can be unearthed, sometimes in spots one would never imagine anything to be. Thumbs up on this post!

Thanks! I've been trying to head out to the "old field is now a park" areas. I've had a little luck, but nothing spectacular until this spill. I don't know what it is about Texas, but I can tell that almost all of the parks have been pounded and pounded hard. Every once and a while I can squeeze out a wheat, but you guys have done a great job clearing out the silver ;) Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the supportive responses. I hope you all have a great dig this weekend, or whenever the next time you get out is.

Cheers!
-NZ49er

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAY COOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!:occasion14:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just awesome! You simply never know what's going to pop out next- 28 years and counting and still looking for silver dollar #1! The other finds are great as well- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread