A big ole French fake named White stopped by, and he had many friends!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just finished a 4.5 day hunt with Newfie boy who flew in for the week, as well as Ironhorse who made it out for a couple of days.

Weather was terrible and it was mid. week before I got on some productive land, but it sure ended up being a blast digging! I dug 44 coppers, 5 silver (1 ctft), 132 buttons (6 military) and the other misc. things in the picture. My favorite find is an odd one, an 18th century contemporary counterfeit French ECU (40mm) countermarked WHITE. In addition to that, I've never had much luck at finding any decent more modern silver coins and these are my best two in 19 years. It's not not really what I look for, but each was quite a surprise and the quarter held up remarkably well for a farm field find. Sad to see it's over, but I'm sure I'll be back to look at this post sometime down the road to relive some of those moments! :headbang:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 1001.jpg
    1001.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 1003.jpg
    1003.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 1004.jpg
    1004.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 1005.jpg
    1005.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 1006.jpg
    1006.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 1007.jpg
    1007.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 1002.jpg
    1002.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 198
  • 1002a.jpg
    1002a.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 176
  • 1000.jpg
    1000.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:
Upvote 50

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. A lot of digging and some really cool finds. Congrats.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great results for the start of the season. That big silver is a great find,especially being counter marked. As for its condition, I think being a counterfeit silver it was possibly made to look very worn, so you might actually have a coin in a pretty great original shape. Congratulations and good luck on your future hunts.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a beauty counterfeit IP, and monsterous! Only a matter of time before you find a regal

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small correction it's counter-stamped not counter-marked (which is official) :thumbsup: Anyways its really cool & a great find.

Without looking it up the TLV jumped out at me, whats that one? (looks great!)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thame Loyal Vols?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Small correction it's counter-stamped not counter-marked (which is official) :thumbsup: Anyways its really cool & a great find.

Without looking it up the TLV jumped out at me, whats that one? (looks great!)

Think you have it backwards.

COUNTERSTAMP- an official punch mark to signify legal tender status of a foreign coin or change in value of a domestic coin [eg, Spanish dollars counterstamped with image of George III]

COUNTERMARK- private punch mark used as advertising or as a sort of merchant coupon to keep coinage in local circulation in times of coin shortages [eg, 18th century English silver]

(The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Numismatics)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thame Loyal Vols?

Could be any T location. For some odd reason these turn up when we go West. Must have been a settlement that had several soldiers from this unit.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you have it backwards.

COUNTERSTAMP- an official punch mark to signify legal tender status of a foreign coin or change in value of a domestic coin [eg, Spanish dollars counterstamped with image of George III]

COUNTERMARK- private punch mark used as advertising or as a sort of merchant coupon to keep coinage in local circulation in times of coin shortages [eg, 18th century English silver]

(The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Numismatics)
Thanks, I think its my dyslexic tendencies kicking in. I thought I remember reading it in a book. Just checked the Library, found the book marked "British Countermarks on Coppers & Bronze Coins" J.Gavin Scott
My mistake.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be any T location. For some odd reason these turn up when we go West. Must have been a settlement that had several soldiers from this unit.
Mine was only a best guest, is that yours as well?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I think its my dyslexic tendencies kicking in. I thought I remember reading it in a book. Just checked the Library, found the book marked "British Countermarks on Coppers & Bronze Coins" J.Gavin Scott
My mistake.

I think either is fine. I just have a book 2 feet above my head that uses countermarked. :) No doubt the reason I used that one.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was only a best guest, is that yours as well?

All I know is it's British volunteers button, and assume the 2nd word is Loyal. No idea what location, but would like to know. The first I've dug of these was probably 15 years ago.... just never looked too much into it.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I know is it's British volunteers button, and assume the 2nd word is Loyal. No idea what location, but would like to know. The first I've dug of these was probably 15 years ago.... just never looked too much into it.
As usual with these there are just not many documented. Good luck & update me if you get it attributed.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Just looking through all those fantastic finds makes one believe this is great year end collection but when you get your head around this only being a week end post it kinda makes your head spin.
You guys were beating the coins and buttons out of the ground and going hardcore day after day and surely deserve everything you worked hard to find.
The Victoria silvers are the kind of thing that open your eyes a little wider when you see how they book and for something you never expect.
Sweet pile of relics and coins, well done as always!

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love that huge counterfeit ECU.
They really had cogliones back then lol.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding series of hunts! :occasion14:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great haul! I'm putting in a banner vote on that 1880H 25 Cents. Beautiful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread