Todays find really grabbed my attention

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got bored today and went detecting at a local park near a school and skateboard park and found a cheap ring and some clad 57788184_10157327996412940_3749255485878960128_n.jpg IMG0020B (2).jpg IMG0021A (2).jpg coins, but this was the find of the day. The temperature was around 94 degrees and I only hunted about 2 hours. The first picture is off the internet but the next 2 I took when I was almost done detecting. At first it looked like a western diamondback , but upon closer examination it turned out to be a harmless Desert Glossy snake. I was close enough to see round eye pupils so I knew it was harmless. Estimated length is between 40 and 48 inches. Very docile and non aggressive. I gave it a couple of nudges to get it going. It ended up in a culvert under a concrete sidewalk that leads to the elementary school. I didn't want someone trying to kill it thinking it was a rattlesnake. A fun hunt.

Upvote 27

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
that's a pretty good size snake. I like to give all snakes plenty of room. Its always cool to see some wildlife while out.

At our cabin in Kentucky we got two snakes, at two different times in our basement through a drain pipe. I put a gutter drain guard over it to keep them out. When they came out, they got stuck on mouse sticky pads. Thankfully. I don't know what sort of snakes they were, but they had some teeth on them, and were not happy. I have seen a lot of garter snakes and they were not that. Our neighbor killed a copperhead on his front porch, which gave me the willies even looking at him dead. The farmers have killed a number of rattlesnakes in the area over the years.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area we have huge Black snakes that look threatening but are of the good variety and help with rat and other poisonous snake control.
Thanks for sharing the pics and read.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a nice belt or wallet lol

Theodocious

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a handsome, but harmless snake! Great share; will have to look around twice while rockhounding in the California wilds.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a handsome, but harmless snake! Great share; will have to look around twice while rockhounding in the California wilds.

I have seen rattlesnakes here in the desert over the years, but I leave them alone and give them plenty of space.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you didnt needlessly kill it. Snakes are excellent for insect and rodent control.

OP
OP
J

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you didnt needlessly kill it. Snakes are excellent for insect and rodent control.

Even if it was a rattler, I would have called the wife to bring a container with lid and carefully transferred it to the container. Then a short ride to the desert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread