Three bucket listers in VA, including a federal artillery button!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Virginia is for lovers …. and diggers! We rented a cabin this week in western Virginia to do some fishing, hiking, and sightseeing with the kids. I brought my detector along, as the property included a large farm field. I asked the owner if I could detect the area, and he graciously said “yes.” (God bless southern hospitality!) It was a large field and I had limited time, so I mostly concentrated on an old dirt road along the edge of the field nearest where I thought a house once stood. During my relatively short first hunt, I found an undated Buffalo nickel, a couple flat buttons, and a few round balls. The next day was more productive. It started with a few more round balls in the open field, a couple buttons, and a slick copper. Things got even more interesting for me when I found a bucket lister, my very first Large Cent. It is dated 1849 and produced a high 90s tone on my AT Pro. A short while later, I dug my second bucket lister, a two-ring Minie Ball. It is about an inch long, weighs 28 grams, and has an approximate diameter of .575 (though it is tough to tell as it is slightly mashed). I am thinking it is .577 caliber and possibly Civil War era. Any opinions or guesses as to the caliber or rifle would be most appreciated. I was finishing up and saw my son crossing the field to get me, when I got a penny tone at about four inches. I was hoping for an early Indian Head penny, so I was a little disappointed when I saw it was another flat button. However, that feeling quickly passed when I saw the image of a cannon and an eagle on its face. It appears to be a circa 1812 federal artillery button, my first military button, which is another bucket lister for me. The back of the button says Extra Rich in raised lettering, while the front says Artillery and Reg, though that does not show in the photo on account of the dirt and my poor photography. If anyone has any opinions on this button type or suggestions as to how to safely clean it, I would be most grateful. Anyway, I had a very productive four or five hours of hunting, and brought back some great souvenirs of a beautiful state. Thanks for looking. Good luck out there and Happy Easter.

Attachments

• Virginia Finds.jpg
    Virginia Finds.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Virginia Large Cent.jpg
    Virginia Large Cent.jpg
    575.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Virginia Minie Ball.jpg
    Virginia Minie Ball.jpg
    598.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Virginia Artillery Button.jpg
    Virginia Artillery Button.jpg
    564.6 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 26

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button has always been one I've hoped to find. Plus a copper, have never got a copper either. Looks like you had yourself a nice trip!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! I believe that's a Spencer bullet

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to assume this button is pretty scarce, as I can't remember any posted on Tnet before!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the nice early artillery. You don't see that type very often.

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fired sharps bullet. Great finds on the button and coins!

Brendan75

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2017
Pretoria
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800/ Garrett AT pro/ Minelab X- terra 305/ Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi nice finds. Congrats:icon_thumleft:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the old copper and nice relics! :occasion14:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post wow Amazing finds I havent been on vacation in over 10 years 2 Daughters and now Collage some day!!!!!! Thanks for the post really awesome have fun and Happy Easter my friend. Tommy

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's some fine tecting. Congrats and GL out there.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That’s a great vacation

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and congrats to a fellow Massachusetts detectorirst! I have not found too many buttons. There's a pretty extensive how to clean buttons post by buckle boy. Just search how to clean buttons on this site. I read the entire post in great detail because I recently found a decent mass militia flat button and wanted to clean it up. I wish I had practiced more as I went with the "naval jelly" treatment he talked about. I think that I actually made my button a little worse by leaving the chemical on it too long. I was very careful to not leave it on too long but it was still too long. It turned parts of it white and generally made it look worse. My completely amateur advice for that button is a dry brushing with a plastic brush. Maybe some very light delicate toothpicking with a wooden tooth pick. Good luck!

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang now those are some nice saves:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds! I believe that's a Spencer bullet

Fired sharps bullet. Great finds on the button and coins!

Thanks for the ideas. I will research those firearms and see which ones make sense. I am really happy with it regardless of whether I can ultimately identify the gun, as I don't find Minie balls around here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread