Very Scarce 1787 Machin's Mills Half Penny and a Trime!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite the unexpected hunt. I was hiking to a site I had spotted on the maps which involved negotiating about 2 miles of rocky woods. About halfway I stumbled on a small section of rockwall and a huge squarish pile of rocks. There was nothing on the maps, but it never hurts to check them out. I dropped my pack and did a circle around the pile with the detector and didn't pick up any signals so I was walking back to the backpack and to my surprise there's a clear penny signal right next to it:

DSC03969.JPG DSC03971.JPG

I didn't look like much out of the ground, but I knew it was a colonial copper. Back at home I decided to keep the patina and some careful removal of dirt revealed a clear King George III bust and a date of 1787; a Machin's Mills! Amazingly there was even enough detail in the right spots to get a specific die variety nailed down. I'm very confident it's a Vlack 18-87C based on the dot after "Georgius" and the shape of the ribbon. Here's what it would have looked like if the ground hadn't gotten to it:

Vlack-18-87C.jpg

It's listed as an R-4 so 200 or less specimens! :hello2:

After finding a colonial copper I knew there had to be more so I started walking in expanding loops around the rock square. There were large rock piles everywhere and definitely iron signals, but it wasn't until I was 50 feet away up a little hill that I spotted the cellar hole. It's absolutely tiny (10'x10') but still deep since all four walls are intact. Right at the lip I get another penny signal that's under the leaves. Kicking them over I spot the tiny disc and even under the encrusted dirt I can see what it is:

DSC03966.JPG DSC03967.JPG

A Trime! The obverse was pretty worn, but it looks to be an 1852. The reverse is great though and I'm happy with any silver at a cellar hole, worn or otherwise. That was it for coins, but there were a number of relics going down a slope leading away from the foundation.

DSC03960.JPG DSC03961.JPG

Nice little pocket knife along with the usual pewter spoon fragments and the ferrule from a scythe handle. I did find a handful of buttons including a really nice designed one:

DSC03963.JPG DSC03964.JPG DSC03965.JPG

Oddly there were only targets going in one direction away from the foundation. The other 3/4 of the area was empty besides old iron can fragments. My theory is the homesite was in the process of being cleared/built when it was abandoned either because they passed away or gave up due to the sheer number of rocks in the ground. Given how many massive piles of rocks there are scattered about I favor the latter. :laughing7:

I did eventually finish the hike to the cellar hole I had planned on exploring, but my time was limited so I did just a 30min survey. It's another good one though; I picked up 3 coins in that time:

DSC03973.JPG DSC03974.JPG

Pretty toasty but an 1864 2-cent, an 1899 V Nickel and a 1900 IHP. Looks like I have some more work to do!

Upvote 38

TomW244

Sep 2, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing! Excellent work and congrats!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! The 3 center is still on my bucket list. Congrats again on a great assortment of early finds!

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great history, great saves!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats finding a Machin's mills is quite an achievement! I hope to make that happen some day! Nice finds and great story to go with it! Thanks for sharing!

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins and relics. Looks like a great spot to keep MDing.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All that walking paid off.
Nice hunt

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt, I love the Machin's Mills coin!

Steve

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freaking awesome looks like a new hunting spot has showed up Well done amazing. Tommy

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great saves, looks like you have two honey holes for the future!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way cool! Love it! Nice recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread