Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Apr 2006
    Middletown, NY
    AT Pro & Ace 250
    22 times

HIDEY HIDEY HIDEY HOLE!!!

Took yesterday off for the holiday and went to a spot that is across the road from my ATV trails. The atv riders go back here also but they have to cross a busy road to get into this section. A portion of this road was not in existence in the 1800's and ealry 1900's so the area I normally detect in was connected with this new section. I was over here one time before last fall and I only found shell casings from the hunters. There is a long stone wall back here that must have been the boundary of a farmers land.
    I went along this stone wall and started to detect in the way that Danimal told us that he detects in, which is keeping the detector in pinpoint mode and scanning the ground. The signal increases as you get near a buried metallic object and when it is at its peak you take it off pinpoint and scan normally to determine what type of metal it is (iron, coin, etc).
    Well I started doing this along the wall and got a few iron signals but kept going. Near the stone wall and a tree I got a signal that showed as a penny on the display so naturally I began to dig. Eventually a coin came out of the ground and it turned out to be a wheat penny.
    Naturally as we all do I scanned the hole again and got another coin signal. Re-checked it with the pinpointer and found another coin. This one was an Indian Head cent! Re-scanned the hole with the pinpointer and got more signals...I had found me a cache or a hidey hole!

After all was said and done and I had scanned my last coin out of that hole, some were even stuck together, I had:

3 Indian Head cents - 1882, 1905 and 1908
    26 wheat pennies - various dates from the teens into the twenties, most modern one was 1929
    8 buffalo nickels - dates in the twenties
    2 mercury dimes - 1924 and 1925

Also found some peices of fabric and a button that probably came from what was holding these coins. Since the newest coin was 1929, I can only assume that maybe this was a stash that was hidden after the stock market crash and the depression kicked in. It could also have been just hid away for a rainy day but I will never know.

Thanks for reading
    and also thanks again to Danimal for telling me about this great technique.

Funkman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1623.JPG 
Views:	1004 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	159247  

us
    MUD(S.W.A.T)

Apr 2005
    I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    894 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: HIDEY HIDEY HIDEY HOLE!!!

That's awesome, congratulations !!

Keep @ it and HH!!
    TAG: MUD(S.W.A.T)
    GEAR: Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
    EXPERIENCE: About 9 Years
    E-MAIL: mudswat1979@yahoo.com
    "Where you find Silver, you should find Gold."

So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
    2180 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Great cache Funkman. That must have made your day
    Best Finds:

1786 Vermont Landscape Copper (Ryder 7 variety)
    1787 Vermont Copper
    1787 New Jersey Copper (Maris 63 variety)
    1797 and 1804 DBLCs
    George Washington Inaugural Button (GW 1 type)
    1872 Indian Head Cent (VF/EF condition)
    1866 Indian Head Cent (EF condition)
    1864 "L" Indian Head Cent
    Hard Times Tokens---2
    1840 Gen. Harrison Campaign Token
    1832 Nova Scotia Halfpenny Token
    Two cent pieces---7
    1721 King George I
    1732 King George II
    Barber Half dollars---3
    War Of 1812 Shoulder Belt Plate

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    139 times

Congrats on the nice find Funky!

Glad that I could help. With the ACE running in pinpoint it really helped me move more quickly and (just like with my DFX I use now) determine quickly a target's size, depth and proximity to other targets.

That number of Buffs in one hole is awesome
    "The Beauvians are obviously reptilian"
    Riley Martin

us
    Jul 2007
    western new york
    whites dfx
    4 times

thats an awesome find congrats

Charter Member
    us
    Apr 2007
    Oklahoma
    Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab
    9 times

Nice stash, too bad we'll never know the real story behind its burial.
    Happy Hunting All

Desertfox
    Happy Hunting

Desertfox
    (Paul)

Sep 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    35 times

Sounds exciting! Nice score!
    Minelab Exp II, Whites DFX, Whites Classic III(former Tejon, CoinStrike & Quattro user)

Feb 2006
    Deep in the Ozark Mountains
    Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
    66 times

What a thrill that must have been. Congrats....Steve

us
    Oct 2006
    2567 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Great find.

us
    Feb 2007
    Land of the Cheese Steak
    Tesoro Eldorado, White's Spectrum XLT
    2 times

Super cache find, funkman!

What a thrill that must have been!

Is there more of this area to search? Perhaps another cache is hiding near by.

Love the avatar.

Thanks for sharing.
    Just as soon as I belong
        Then it's time I disappear...

us
    Pulltabs = Gold. Returned to owner 1946

Apr 2005
    Poughkeepsie, N.Y.
    21 times

Nice :Got to love them pocket spills!

Apr 2006
    Middletown, NY
    AT Pro & Ace 250
    22 times

thanks for the replies all. yes paul1410 this area is a pretty big area and the stone wall is a few hundred feet long. This is the kind of area were the pinpointing technique comes in handy. Lots of open spaces between the trees so you can scan the ground without getting tangled up in weeds and stuff.

Thanks again.

Funkman

Feb 2007
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Ace 250; Explorer; Excalibur II
    1 times

Yuup!~ The pinpoint mode is actually the 'all metal' mode.

In the woods, it's always 'all metal' for me.

The find is really interesting. I would be very methodical in my search around there. you just might find some more really neat stuff.

Thanks for posting. I like a good, interesting read. It even reminded me of an old rock fence back in the woods I need to check out.

aj

Aug 2006
    Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
    duh...duh... DFX
    139 times

Funkman (and others)

That's the beauty of hunting in this manner (dense woods, brush etc)

Since you are in non-motion you don't need to sweep the coil back and forth over a target to get a tone ID (or VID). You can scan into and out of tight spots slowly, listening for a tone increase.

ALL machines that issue a tone or tones in motion mode (AC discrim) require the center of the coil (usually) where the field generated is at it's deepest point to pass back and forth over the target. Once the field does so the machine measures the delay of the signal transmitted by the sending coil to the receiving coil. The size and type of metal of the target determines the amount of delay (phase shift) and then predetermined tones and Visual Identification tell you what the probable target is.
    The various manufacturers have their various ways of doing this (Minelab and Whites most notebly with their different "multi-frequencies" T/R circuits) but they all operate on these principles (Pulse Induction's another story)

But...if you step back in time...before AC discrim came about... (and Kas touched on this recently in a comment he wrote here) machine were non-motion DC (TRUE all-metal).
    You do not need to sweep the coil back and forth over a target to get a response. You listen for a change in the background tone (the threshold tone).
    If you get good at this, you can EASILY tell the two most important things (when coin hunting for deeper older coins)
    You can tell if the target is small.
    You can tell if the target is deep.
    If you're hunting in this manner...if it's deep....and small...DIG. Oh yeah...go ahead and switch BACK to normal AC/discrim. and see what your machine "thinks" it is. Just remember...the deeper a coin is...the lower the VDI/TID/VID will read from what you expect (normally). For instance...on my DFX (hunting in dual frequency, best data) a silver dime at say 4-5" will show a VDI# of the low 80s. The signagraph (a visual bar graph that shows the strength of the received signal in all 190 VDI levels) will be jumping in nearly all one band...
    But...that same dime at 7-8" might be a broken flutey tone and a VDI of mid 70's and the signagraph will have multiple bar jumping with none peaking). Sometimes when the initial plug of say 5" deep is removed from above the deep silver the VDI jumps up to normal.

I'm rambling now.
    "The Beauvians are obviously reptilian"
    Riley Martin

us
    Your best find is still in the ground somewhere

Jan 2007
    Hazelwood, MO
    White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
    365 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)