Back To The 1853 Site With My Tesoro

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My plan today was to use my modded Tesoro Cibola with the 5.75" concentric search coil to see if I could unmask some good targets in all the nails that were located close to the house. Lucky for me I changed my mine and switched to the 9" x 8" concentric search coil because I that I wanted to go back over the large open area instead.

Keep in mind I've pulled string lines on this front yard and I've used numerous high tech detectors numerous times on previous hunts and was digging ALL repeatable non-ferrous targets with them even if they didn't give a good ID or audio. This old site warrants doing that because you just never know what you might find at a 1853 site.

I found a bunch of nickels! The Cibola really hits hard on them. I found a 1910 V-Nickel, a couple of dateless Buffalo Nickels, a 1943 War Nickel and a Jefferson Nickel. I also found a cut Wheat Penny and a Memorial Penny. How I missed those pennies and nickels on my previous hunts is beyond me!

On my coin spill, I located 2 separate targets about 8 inches apart and both sounded like trash. The first one that I dug turned out to be a small piece of can slaw. I went back over the second one again and it still sounded like trash. I dug down and popped a heavily tarnished coin which turned out to be a 1937 Brass 3 Pence coin. I got to poking around and found 3 nice silver coins in the same hole; a 1918 3 Pence, a 1936 6 Pence and a 1929 One Shilling. They were all heavily stained from the Brass 3 Pence Coin. It pays to dig those iffy targets!

A little later on I got my search coil over another deep iffy target. When I reached into the hole I could feel a handle and I slowly pulled it free. Talk about getting excited when I saw the silver spoon. Just my luck it turned out to be silver plated.

Just look at all those finds on that that 5 gallon lid including the junk targets that I missed on previous hunts. Heck those little broken off beaver tails could have been gold rings. If you don't have a Tesoro with a concentric search coil in your detector arsenal, you're leaving a lot goodies behind.

A rain storm sent me running for my SUV around noon. I'll rest up a day or two before hitting it again. I really need to go over the entire site with the 5.75 inch concentric search coil.

tabman

Attachments

• IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    618.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0638.JPG
    IMG_0638.JPG
    702.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0640.JPG
    IMG_0640.JPG
    469.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0641.JPG
    IMG_0641.JPG
    690.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0642.JPG
    IMG_0642.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0644.JPG
    IMG_0644.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0645.JPG
    IMG_0645.JPG
    427.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    298.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    406.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0652.JPG
    IMG_0652.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 28

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right, they pound non ferrous right out of the ground. And they go really deep.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it was a nice outing Tabman. Those are some nice older coins.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tabman, Congrats to you on some nice finds of the old coins and the spoon. Tesoro's are great detectors. Best of luck to you and Continued Success. That is a beautiful property and permission. Not this area hard.

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice hunt & the goodies to show, some nice coin saves, congrats on all.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done tabman!!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back To The 1853 Site

Looks like you are finding some really nice finds. Congrats on your hard work paying off. Looking forward to seeing what else you may find there. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are right, they pound non ferrous right out of the ground. And they go really deep.
Thanks! I forgot to mention that I was constantly adjusting the 10 turn ground balance with my thumb as I was sweeping the search coil. I like to run my GB as negative as I can without getting any false signals. I want a quiet ride, so I won't miss anything in the chatter. There's no need to stop to GB, just listen to the ground and make adjustments on the move.

Looks like it was a nice outing Tabman. Those are some nice older coins.
Thanks! Tesoro detectors are great about finding coin spills, but I sure was surprised to find this one, especially since I've hit that area before.

Tabman, Congrats to you on some nice finds of the old coins and the spoon. Tesoro's are great detectors. Best of luck to you and Continued Success. That is a beautiful property and permission. Not this area hard.
Thanks! I really lucked up getting this permission. It has given me a chance to do some testing with different detectors and search coils.

Really nice hunt & the goodies to show, some nice coin saves, congrats on all.
Thanks! I get lucky every once in awhile.

Well done tabman!!
Thanks!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!
Thanks!

Looks like you are finding some really nice finds. Congrats on your hard work paying off. Looking forward to seeing what else you may find there. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks! It looks like I need to pull out the string lines again. I have high hopes that the 5.75" concentric will unlock more goodies. It's going to take awhile to put that small search coil over that much area. It's going to be fun though!

tabman

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs!

That small 'spoon shaped' item pictured under the coins is a piece of bonbon tongs. Early 20th C most boxes of chocolates came with their own tongs. It was to keep the lady's white gloves from getting messy with melted chocolate...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post love the story with it I love hunting sites where you can dig all targets most sites around here I wouldn't get ten feet in a 4 hour hunt and would have 2 buckets of pull tabs lol Great job on the spoon and coins thanks for sharing

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice digs!

That small 'spoon shaped' item pictured under the coins is a piece of bonbon tongs. Early 20th C most boxes of chocolates came with their own tongs. It was to keep the lady's white gloves from getting messy with melted chocolate...
Thanks for letting me know what that item is. That's something to remember! This home was owned by very wealthy businessman.

Great post love the story with it I love hunting sites where you can dig all targets most sites around here I wouldn't get ten feet in a 4 hour hunt and would have 2 buckets of pull tabs lol Great job on the spoon and coins thanks for sharing
Thanks! I know what you're talking about when it comes to trashy sites full of pull tabs and can slaw. When I find a site like this that I can dig it all, I'm in hog heaven.

Nice bunch of old coins. Congrats
Thanks! It was one of my lucky days.

Very nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks! I can't wait to get back there.

tabman

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

I sure like using my Tesoro in the playground area, always produces the goodies! Just a fun machine... :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt, congrats! :occasion14:

I sure like using my Tesoro in the playground area, always produces the goodies! Just a fun machine... :icon_thumleft:

Thanks! Yep, they sure are fun to use and they seem to always produce some unusual finds. I'm heading back to that site in the morning. I'm having thoughts about using my 8 inch concentric doughnut coil and flagging off a small area and work the heck out of it. In the end, I may dig even the ferrous targets in hopes of unmasking something good.

tabman

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely can clean up with a small coil on a Tesoro. I can follow my T2se with the vaquero and find targets. Done it more than once. Good job Tabman. Tesoro is good to those who appreciate and have faith in the beep! That Tesoro disc just can’t be beat. Show us what that new eldorado does there some day! Found me 3 eagle buttons on a night hunt it’s first time out. Enjoy buddy!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely can clean up with a small coil on a Tesoro. I can follow my T2se with the vaquero and find targets. Done it more than once. Good job Tabman. Tesoro is good to those who appreciate and have faith in the beep! That Tesoro disc just can’t be beat. Show us what that new eldorado does there some day! Found me 3 eagle buttons on a night hunt it’s first time out. Enjoy buddy!

Thanks! I've used everything at that site except the kitchen sink, so I might as well turn the Eldorado loose on it as well. There are a lot of really good detector brands out there and I own and have tried a bunch of them, but if you don't have a Tesoro in your detector arsenal you're leaving a lot of good finds in the ground. I don't remember ever having a bad day using a Tesoro. They just find treasure that other detectors miss.

tabman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions