South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Decided to take another shot at finding an 1862 dot in the park woods. What is interesting about this dot is that it disappears on the 1872 map and the aerials in the 1900’s show nothing but woods. I had tried a couple of times with my old detector with nothing but an occasional shotgun shell head stamp.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511544.749153.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511556.583409.jpg

Today I wandered in the same area and got 2 quick cuff flat buttons and a partial big tombac button. These were really small 11-12 signals with the Nox.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511376.968451.jpg
A couple big rifle casings and head stamps, then a really nice deep 21-21 signal. This is often a 2 piece button or a zincoln.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511488.395275.jpg
Thought cool, big dandy button. I have only dug a few of them in my area. Did the Hoover Boys “please be a GW...” chant and popped some dirt off.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511622.991510.jpg
Ok, can’t be.... time to send some shaky pics to Steve...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511682.114726.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511701.617661.jpg
I don’t have a toothbrush on me and it’s starting to dry out so I pack it in dirt and hike back to my car.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557511800.193469.jpg
Quick call to Steve to game plan next step. Should I... use mineral oil to keep from drying out, just toothbrush, use Renn wax, etc. Decided to pluck it out o the clod, toothbrush the dirt away and while I was still a little winded nose grease it up before it dries out too much... stressful moments.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557512021.481551.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557512034.166746.jpg
There is a lot of gilt on the back and in the engraved front areas. Seems to have stabilized here. Thoughts on lemon juice to clean up gilt or next step?????

Wow, still shaking. Good luck out there!

Cleaned up pics
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557637291.584162.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557637302.662035.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557637316.014973.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557637345.781201.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 126

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the special find. I love the last photo you took, it will look great on the banner.
Agree, I don't care what you dig, if you don't have a good photo your chances of getting it up top are seriously diminished.

Raider19962

Mar 4, 2018
Delaware, The First State
Detector(s) used
White's, Technetics, Fisher M, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! That is exactly the type I found here in Delaware years ago. Yours is in better shape, and could be worth from 5 to 10k, but I would not sell it. There is one like it in the museum at Jamestown, VA, where the curator told me it was "priceless". When I found mine I contacted the Smithsonian curators and they told me there were less than 50 of this type known to exist. Maybe a few more now. Congrats, and welcome to the Holy Grail Club!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on saving one the top bucket lister for most relic hunters. I absolutely love the contrast of the green patina against the gold guilt in the relief areas. Couldn't ask for a better example in my opinion. I don't think I could put that button down if I had dug it.

Thx! I got super lucky with the condition of this button. The 3 other ones in the area were toasty. I’m sort of afraid to drop it, so I look at it through the Tupperware, crazy I know...

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good for you ! Now that's "History in your hands". I also voted BANNER for your find. It's probably one of the most Western finds of this type of button since you are in SW PA ?

Thx! I’ve been lucky enough to dig a few items that had that magical quality that you mention of holding true history in your hand. The home site from the 1860 map references the location belonging to a local pastor. Much of W PA was designated as Depreciation Lands for Revolutionary Soldiers compensation. I need to do some more research.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! That is exactly the type I found here in Delaware years ago. Yours is in better shape, and could be worth from 5 to 10k, but I would not sell it. There is one like it in the museum at Jamestown, VA, where the curator told me it was "priceless". When I found mine I contacted the Smithsonian curators and they told me there were less than 50 of this type known to exist. Maybe a few more now. Congrats, and welcome to the Holy Grail Club!

Thx! I told my wife it was probably my most valuable find, but if I tell her it could be worth 5-10k she will sell it in a heartbeat...

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loose Lips sink ships Tell her it worth between 5 and 10 No need to add any zeros

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Beautiful button!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is incredible. Very top of my bucket list for sure. Awesome condition and I wouldn't dream of using anything on it to effect it's condition, it is beautiful just the way it is!! Banner vote here

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! I can imagine the excitement!!!! Good job!!!!!!!! -A detecting moment you will remember forever!!!

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW that is incredible. Very top of my bucket list for sure. Awesome condition and I wouldn't dream of using anything on it to effect it's condition, it is beautiful just the way it is!! Banner vote here
Thx! Actually my bucket list has never included a GW inaugural button. I did not think they could be found in my area, but it’s definitely been a thrill and privilege to be lucky enough to swing over it.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! I can imagine the excitement!!!! Good job!!!!!!!! -A detecting moment you will remember forever!!!
Thx! Yes, I’ll never forget the moment when I wiped the dirt away and saw the recognizable pattern. I was on my lunch break, so I did not even have a saves pouch, just carrying my scant finds in my back pocket, knew I couldn’t stick this button in my pocket, so basically boogied back to my car...heart racing. Then back to my work office...

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! On nearly everyones bucket list.

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a beauty and great condition, congrats!!!!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I commented on this earlier and it looks like my comment never went through. I'll try to reiterate what I was saying: That button is fantastic and mother nature has made it a true work of art! There is a website dedicated to GW buttons it's not too hard to find but it identifies all the varieties and is packed with information and examples. My advice on cleaning consult with an expert maybe the person who runs that site. Probably don't clean it as others have said. My experience with the Ren. wax is that it can change the color and leave white wax in crevices / areas that may be undesired. Then you have the issue of trying to get the excess wax off without degrading the button. It will certainly preserve the button, but I'd find an expert. Congrats on such a cool find!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome piece of history to dig up! It cleaned up great, Congrats!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Banner hasn't changed in a while although there have been some worthy candidates, including this fantastic button.

Those already on the banner are getting some great hang time :laughing7:

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I commented on this earlier and it looks like my comment never went through. I'll try to reiterate what I was saying: That button is fantastic and mother nature has made it a true work of art! There is a website dedicated to GW buttons it's not too hard to find but it identifies all the varieties and is packed with information and examples. My advice on cleaning consult with an expert maybe the person who runs that site. Probably don't clean it as others have said. My experience with the Ren. wax is that it can change the color and leave white wax in crevices / areas that may be undesired. Then you have the issue of trying to get the excess wax off without degrading the button. It will certainly preserve the button, but I'd find an expert. Congrats on such a cool find!

I really like the sheen and darkening from Renn wax on iron objects. Was super happy with the finish on a recent canon ball and horseshoe. I also like the look of it on brass buckles and crotal bells. I recently used it on some LC’s for the first time and it was OK, did not add the extra level of sheen like on the larger items and was a challenge to not get the white residue look in the crevices. I’m keeping the GWI button as is. I did a final coat of good old fashion nose grease before I put it away. Might be the last time I physically touch it. Paranoid that I will damage it...

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if my first banner vote went through so I voted banner again. This is an extraordinary find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread