Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: The whetstone everyone wants to find! And some other stuff

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    bolle

Sep 2014
    W. Nevada / N. CA
    XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
    2605 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    That is so cool. We haven't seen date nails in our area now for some time. Most of the tracks and poles are long gone
    Inspector and Old Pueblo like this.
    I's this was a full-time job; I would always want to go to work!!!

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1989 times
    Interesting. Im not very familiar with this kind of find, and I assumed its a whetstone because of the concavity in the top of it. Its not perfectly flat but bows in toward the middle from both ends, which to me looks like ir could be wear from running a knife across it for many years. But as I said, Im not an expert.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1989 times
    Quote Originally Posted by basque-man View Post
    That is so cool. We haven't seen date nails in our area now for some time. Most of the tracks and poles are long gone

Same here in Arizona, most of the old railroads are long gone, but the countryside is still full of old corrals and fencelines made of these old ties, so thats where I like to search.
    basque-man likes this.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1989 times
    Thats very interesting and honestly it never came to mind, although I have heard of people using stones to stay warm, so Im going to look it up, and see what I see. And thanks to you and everyone else for you feedback.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1989 times
    I was just looking up soapstones for heating, but all of them seem a little rougher (not as smooth) as my whetstone is and they are also much bigger. Big enough to put under your feet. This one is only about 2 inches wide and about 4 inches long. And as you may be able to see in my photos, kind of bows in toward the middle, like you see on these other two whetstones. I know its hard to see in my photos, but if you run your hand across the top you can definitely feel where it is thinner in the middle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2263.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	1712710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2264.JPG 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	1712711

My whetstone

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Well used whetstone with concavity wear.jpg 
Size:	199.3 KB 
ID:	1712712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Whetstone with concavity.jpg 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	1712713

A couple of examples of old, well used whetstones

us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    914 times
    Relic Hunting
    Very cool! I have a block of wood that my uncle gave me of railroad tie date nails. How would I go about finding some for myself?
    Old Pueblo likes this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1989 times
    Thank you and I would look for old railroad ties, still in the railroad or being reused for something else. Here out west we still use them a lot for building corrals and fences, but usually in places like the desert or the prairie, where there isnt many trees around to cut wood from. Back in Kentucky you guys have no shortage of trees but I imagine someone has probably reused railroad ties somewhere. That said, look for old barbed wire fences or livestock pens in towns or areas along the railroads. The further you are from a railroad the less likely you are to see old ties. Or at least thats how it is here in southern Arizona. I have noticed that when Im in an area where there never was a railroad, you dont see as many ties. But when Im in or near a railroad town or by a railroad, they seem to be everywhere. I have also found date nails in ties being used in planter boxes, like a decoration for your yard, kind of thing. And sometimes if youre walking along an old railroad, you will find random ties laying off to the side, sometimes with a nail in them. The best place is old corrals, in my opinion, or an old railroad itself, but a lot of the old railroads have already been ripped up and abandoned and sometimes replaced with a modern railroad. Along railroads that have been torn up, here in Arizona, there is usually a RR tie "dumping ground", where RR companies (or whoever rips up railroads) will dump the ties. The places are always right next to the railroad but I have only briefly hunted two of them nearby, since they are the perfect place for rattlesnake nests, and Ive found more than a few snakes hiding under ties, laying upside down on the ground. So you have to be careful about it, for sure.
    basque-man and RustyRelics like this.

us
    Mar 2017
    Arizona
    1989 times
    Its also good to use a knife and a hammer/nail puller for pulling the nails. Use the knife for carving them out, if you need to, so you're not damaging the nail as you pull it. And the deeper you carve the easier it is to pull the nail. This is not always necessary, sometimes the nails come right out. Ive pulled many out with just my fingers.
    basque-man and RustyRelics like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links