I had to go back to my field of dreams

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
went back to my fod right after work today. I decided to check the pasture right next to it. Nothing! My new earbuds (wired) hurt after 30 min or so and I took 'em back to the car getting me my ML80 out. Then I realized that the farmer prepared the field right next to my f o d but did not plant it yet. So I gave it a try and found the average trash when I received a 18/19 signal. 18/19/20 is usually aluminum trash. But this signal was slightly different. Just 18+19 no 20. Leaning more towards the 18 and pumping the coil no metal sounds (but aluminum does this also). Anyhow I decided to dig. When I had the signal out I ran the pinpointer through the mud and grabbed a clumb of dirt. Now running the PP through the clumb it started screaming at me. Yes it does show coins loud and clear but this one it screamed at me. I thought "trash what else" when a bright silver coin peeked out of the mud. Boy, I wasn't prepared for that and am still shaking. Here is the pics

DSCN2269.JPG DSCN2270.JPG
DSCN2272.JPG

I used some lemon water solution and a toothbrush - the reverse side cleaned out nicely

Here is a link to what the coin actually is - now we all can see it is a 1733 my oldest coin as of yet.

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces40346.html

I love that hobby, I love my field of dreams and I love my Equinox 800!!!

A big thank's to my wife who never complains when I go out!!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 14

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Congratulations on a fine recovery! Next time don't waste time swinging over a marginal target to decide. Just dig it and move onto the next target. Unless the ground is like concrete, I don't see why you wouldn't dig all marginal targets. Like you (now!), a lot of my best finds were marginal targets regardless of machine.
Taking another look, it almost looks like there was a smaller copper coin stuck or pancaked to it. The green may be difficult to remove.
My oldest silver is 1883 so yours is 150 years older. I'm not jealous or anything... Wish I had a F O D! Good luck next time out!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Horst

Apr 13, 2017
Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 + SDC2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I checked my hole ( I always do) but there was no signal left. I checked 10 feet all around it very carefully and no other signals turned up. But as this is a suggested "road" leading through my f o d I will try to find that road and continue on....I found German coins from 1870ies, 1768 4 Heller (German) 1 Ore (Norway) 1 Franc (French) 1 ??? 3rd Reich (really bad condition) 1 Pfennig 1830ies...all in more or less the same spot...there must have been a main traffic sort of road / path going through that piece of land....more work for me left (just don't know what happens when I find my first Gold.... I will probably be dancing a whole day)

Last edited:

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice find! Congrats. The copper may be due to it being a debased coin. I think the copper can leach out of the coin over time. Other idea... if there was another coin next to it but then they became separated when the field was plowed? Regardless nice coin and nice clean up of it!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your oldest coin! :icon_thumleft: That's a pretty old coin! Great find!

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wtg on your oldest coin find. The bar is set a little higher now. GL out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread