Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Bold Coast & Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Blue Excal 1000, Enox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
009.jpg 010.jpg
I found this yesterday a few feet away from an 1836 large cent. I don't know what is front or back (that's assuming there is one). It is very coin looking in weight and size (about modern silver coin size and weight). Between 1/16th and 1/8th inch thick. Hits at 26-27 on the Equinox 800 and seems to be copper. The one side has all these little dimples, the other side nothing (at least I see nothing). The history here goes back to the 1600's plus word of Viking travels. I tried researching on Google, but came up empty handed. It could just be a round piece of copper and I'm good with that, but I know there are folks out there who know waaay more about these things than me. Any ideas?

Upvote 13

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those dimples are obviously intentional. I’m anxious to know what you find out.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would say a flat button. There seems to be traces of a shank on the other side. Those "dimples" were often carved on decorative civilian buttons in late 1700's to about 1830's

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say a flat button. There seems to be traces of a shank on the other side. Those "dimples" were often carved on decorative civilian buttons in late 1700's to about 1830's
Hmmm... I will get to a microscope at work and zoom in. Pretty thick for a button, but hey. I'll try for an update later. Thanks all!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will guess button also. I too, can see a circular spot in the center of your first picture, that looks like it may have had a shank attached at one time.

OP
OP
Bodkin

Bodkin

Oct 9, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1712533 View attachment 1712534
I found this yesterday a few feet away from an 1836 large cent. I don't know what is front or back (that's assuming there is one). It is very coin looking in weight and size (about modern silver coin size and weight). Between 1/16th and 1/8th inch thick. Hits at 26-27 on the Equinox 800 and seems to be copper. The one side has all these little dimples, the other side nothing (at least I see nothing). The history here goes back to the 1600's plus word of Viking travels. I tried researching on Google, but came up empty handed. It could just be a round piece of copper and I'm good with that, but I know there are folks out there who know waaay more about these things than me. Any ideas?
Well.., I did check this "object" out under a microscope and will capitulate. I will go along and say it is a button, although I can find no convincing marks under the scope to so. It is not discolored or raise where every other shankless button I have found is (this photo doesn't do the shank area justice). I can find no other leading clues though as it to be otherwise. There are no other marks than the dimples on the one side, NOTHING!!! The weight, "feel" and thickness had me saying coin. This is the crudest button I have found and I would love to know the real age. Thanks all for your input.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread