Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree48Likes
  • 33 Post By paleomaxx
  • 2 Post By Evolution
  • 1 Post By pa-dirt_nc-sand
  • 1 Post By ColonialDude
  • 1 Post By Jyverb64
  • 1 Post By xcopperstax
  • 2 Post By paleomaxx
  • 1 Post By Whyme
  • 1 Post By xcopperstax
  • 1 Post By Doug from NS
  • 1 Post By Relicific
  • 1 Post By CMDiamonddawg
  • 1 Post By Switchblade
  • 1 Post By Professor of Engineering

Thread: 3 More Colonial Coppers at My River Site

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    3355 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)

3 More Colonial Coppers at My River Site

I would have sworn I had hunted this spot out, but apparently not. It's only a 15' by 10' flat area next to a stagecoach river crossing so there isn't much ground to cover, but it's been a year since I last tried it and I figured I might find a stray tombac. To my surprise I got a deep whisper tone right in the middle and pulled out a copper and then right next to it a round ball. I just kept covering the same patch of dirt over and over in all directions and would find tiny tones that only appeared at a certain angle. Usually those are deep iron or ground mineralization and in the past when I've dug after them they usually disappeared, but the ground conditions must have been perfect since almost every one ended up being a non-ferrous target.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04703.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	1712544

Several fragments of Georgian shoe buckles included a piece of what must have been a nice pewter one. Also a thimble, the round ball, and two tombacs as expected. The surprises though were the coppers. I'd already pulled 7 out of this small spot before, but now I'm up to 10. Like the others, two were pretty toasted:

Name:	DSC04705.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	1712545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04706.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	4.16 MB 
ID:	1712546

The 1740 KGII half penny isn't too bad and the date is legible which is rare for me. It's also a regal issue since the weight is correct. The other has absolutely no detail which is a shame because I think it's an odd one. Even though it's a slick, the weight is still more than that of a half penny. This site is too early for large cents, so it must have been a foreign copper more uncommon than the British ones. Fortunately the third copper is in very good shape considering:

Name:	DSC04709.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	1712547Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04714.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	1712562

A 1786 Vermont copper! The die variety is Ryder 10 which is great because it's an R4 so 200 or less known examples and the die itself is hilariously bad. The lettering is all different sizes and misaligned. The 6 in the date is jammed into the bar below Britannia and the copper planchet is so flawed that there are literally holes going through it! Here's a picture of the reverse of a non-dug example:

Name:	lf.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	132.8 KB 
ID:	1712549

These were some of the first dies after the landscape coppers so they must have been working out some production issues. Flawed or not, I love finding Vermont coppers so this made the weekend! I did find one piece of silver which nearly stopped my heart. When I saw the reeded edge in the dirt I was ready to blow a gasket since this site is so early, but unfortunately:

Name:	DSC04707.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.21 MB 
ID:	1712557

Just a 1944 hunter drop. Oh well, silver is silver.

So many old sites to hunt....so little time.

Aug 2007
    Upstate NY
    Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
    2177 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Nice finds. That Vermont copper has rarity value but more important, it has character. I love it! I might go the hot peroxide route with that slickster copper. Ordinarily I try to see what I can see without using it but that one seems to have no hope. Fry some of that verdigiris off of it and see if there's anything hiding beneath it.
    Last edited by Evolution; May 14, 2019 at 07:14 PM.
    paleomaxx and civilman1 like this.
    Best Finds:

1786 Vermont Landscape Copper (Ryder 7 variety)
    1787 Vermont Copper
    1787 New Jersey Copper (Maris 63 variety)
    1797 and 1804 DBLCs
    George Washington Inaugural Button (GW 1 type)
    1872 Indian Head Cent (VF/EF condition)
    1866 Indian Head Cent (EF condition)
    1864 "L" Indian Head Cent
    Hard Times Tokens---2
    1840 Gen. Harrison Campaign Token
    1832 Nova Scotia Halfpenny Token
    Two cent pieces---7
    1721 King George I
    1732 King George II
    Barber Half dollars---3
    War Of 1812 Shoulder Belt Plate

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    3355 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I might go the hot peroxide route with that slickster copper. Ordinarily I try to see what I can see without using it but that one seems to have no hope. Fry some of that verdigiris off of it and see if there's anything hiding beneath it.
    Worth a shot; not like there's any current detail to lose! I used to use peroxide on my IHPs, but I didn't like how they ended up compared to andre's pencils. On this one though the pencils wouldn't help at all.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    7807 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Nice old Vermont Copper and KG! Great work squeaking those relics out. I had a similar experience earlier this year at my oldest site, got a super deep silver dime signal saw the reeded edge (hole 10’ from where I had dug a Nova) wipe away the dirt and see a Rosie. Gets your blood pumping! Congrats on some great recoveries!
    paleomaxx likes this.

Nice finds! Love those early American coppers. Congrats!
    paleomaxx likes this.
    Velox Versutus Vigilans

Oct 2012
    Upstate NY
    Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab Explorer Se Pro Garrett Pro-Pointer
    1086 times
    Love that Vermont copper, congrats!
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    1846 times
    What a great hunt! Thanks for the story and even getting into details of that rare Vermont copper! I'm curious how you know the holes are from a planchet defect vs corrosion from being in the ground? That Vermont is in great condition considering that it was probably in the ground for 200+ years! I'm sure you've already thought of this but have you gone in the river or checked the other side where they would come out? 10 coppers from such a small area is extraordinary!
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Max

Aug 2016
    Upstate, NY
    3355 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    I'm curious how you know the holes are from a planchet defect vs corrosion from being in the ground?
    The edges of the holes and pits are sharp and angular where ground action would create smooth areas of corrosion. In general corrosion happens on the raised surfaces and edges first and then proceeds more or less evenly around the rest of the coin which is why you can still sometimes see a bust and partial lettering on even very corroded coins since the relief is being taken off at the same rate. The fact that this coin was in better shape than the others suggests that it wasn't pure copper but probably an accidental alloy with a small percentage of contaminating metal. Bad for coining since it would have wrecked the dies faster, but would have held out a little longer in the ground. That also fits the narrative of production problems.

I'm sure you've already thought of this but have you gone in the river or checked the other side where they would come out? 10 coppers from such a small area is extraordinary!
    Yup definitely checked the other side, although I'd say it's due for another pass in light of this recent hunt! Not nearly as much was on the other bank, but I did find a silvered dandy button and a pewter ring so at least the right date range. The opposite bank is lower so spring floods might have washed out most of the artifacts. I get the feeling that there's another colonial homesite around, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.
    xcopperstax and terpfan like this.

us
    Aug 2007
    Western New York
    CTX-3030, Equinox 800
    5298 times
    Nice old coppers! Congrats! Thanks for the explanation on the 1786 Vermont copper, I learned something today!
    paleomaxx likes this.

WhyMe

CTX-3030, Equinox 800

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    1846 times
    Thanks for the further explanation!
    paleomaxx likes this.

ca
    Apr 2019
    Nova Scotia
    Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
    253 times
    Nice finds!

I would try going downstream, especially if the water can be high in the spring. I have found coins downstream of old bridges but never upstream.

A couple of years ago I had a nice signal in a ford of a small brook. I had no pinpointer at the time so could not find it even though I tried on multiple occasions. Next spring the signal was gone so I walked down stream and where the water deepened and slowed there was a 1914 silver 5 cent sitting on the sand.
    paleomaxx likes this.

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    2905 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Great coppers
    paleomaxx likes this.
    To Dig or not to Dig

us
    Oct 2009
    Jersey Cape
    Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
    920 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    The one of less than

200 known ,
    Vermont coppers is above an beyond greatness !
    Good Day !
    CMD
    paleomaxx likes this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Nazareth, PA
    Garrett 250
    390 times
    Nice saves!
    paleomaxx likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2014
    Massachusetts
    Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II & X-terra 705; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i & DFX
    23365 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Outstanding hunt...love the old coppers!
    paleomaxx likes this.

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links