paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have sworn I had hunted this spot out, but apparently not. It's only a 15' by 10' flat area next to a stagecoach river crossing so there isn't much ground to cover, but it's been a year since I last tried it and I figured I might find a stray tombac. To my surprise I got a deep whisper tone right in the middle and pulled out a copper and then right next to it a round ball. I just kept covering the same patch of dirt over and over in all directions and would find tiny tones that only appeared at a certain angle. Usually those are deep iron or ground mineralization and in the past when I've dug after them they usually disappeared, but the ground conditions must have been perfect since almost every one ended up being a non-ferrous target.

DSC04703.JPG

Several fragments of Georgian shoe buckles included a piece of what must have been a nice pewter one. Also a thimble, the round ball, and two tombacs as expected. The surprises though were the coppers. I'd already pulled 7 out of this small spot before, but now I'm up to 10. Like the others, two were pretty toasted:

DSC04705.JPG DSC04706.JPG

The 1740 KGII half penny isn't too bad and the date is legible which is rare for me. It's also a regal issue since the weight is correct. The other has absolutely no detail which is a shame because I think it's an odd one. Even though it's a slick, the weight is still more than that of a half penny. This site is too early for large cents, so it must have been a foreign copper more uncommon than the British ones. Fortunately the third copper is in very good shape considering:

DSC04709.JPG DSC04714.JPG

A 1786 Vermont copper! :hello2: The die variety is Ryder 10 which is great because it's an R4 so 200 or less known examples and the die itself is hilariously bad. The lettering is all different sizes and misaligned. The 6 in the date is jammed into the bar below Britannia and the copper planchet is so flawed that there are literally holes going through it! Here's a picture of the reverse of a non-dug example:

lf.jpg

These were some of the first dies after the landscape coppers so they must have been working out some production issues. Flawed or not, I love finding Vermont coppers so this made the weekend! I did find one piece of silver which nearly stopped my heart. When I saw the reeded edge in the dirt I was ready to blow a gasket since this site is so early, but unfortunately:

DSC04707.JPG

Just a 1944 hunter drop. Oh well, silver is silver. :laughing7:

Upvote 33

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. That Vermont copper has rarity value but more important, it has character. I love it! :occasion14: I might go the hot peroxide route with that slickster copper. Ordinarily I try to see what I can see without using it but that one seems to have no hope. Fry some of that verdigiris off of it and see if there's anything hiding beneath it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I might go the hot peroxide route with that slickster copper. Ordinarily I try to see what I can see without using it but that one seems to have no hope. Fry some of that verdigiris off of it and see if there's anything hiding beneath it.

Worth a shot; not like there's any current detail to lose! I used to use peroxide on my IHPs, but I didn't like how they ended up compared to andre's pencils. On this one though the pencils wouldn't help at all.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice old Vermont Copper and KG! Great work squeaking those relics out. I had a similar experience earlier this year at my oldest site, got a super deep silver dime signal saw the reeded edge (hole 10’ from where I had dug a Nova) wipe away the dirt and see a Rosie. Gets your blood pumping! Congrats on some great recoveries!

ColonialDude

Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Love those early American coppers. Congrats!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that Vermont copper, congrats!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great hunt! Thanks for the story and even getting into details of that rare Vermont copper! I'm curious how you know the holes are from a planchet defect vs corrosion from being in the ground? That Vermont is in great condition considering that it was probably in the ground for 200+ years! I'm sure you've already thought of this but have you gone in the river or checked the other side where they would come out? 10 coppers from such a small area is extraordinary!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious how you know the holes are from a planchet defect vs corrosion from being in the ground?

The edges of the holes and pits are sharp and angular where ground action would create smooth areas of corrosion. In general corrosion happens on the raised surfaces and edges first and then proceeds more or less evenly around the rest of the coin which is why you can still sometimes see a bust and partial lettering on even very corroded coins since the relief is being taken off at the same rate. The fact that this coin was in better shape than the others suggests that it wasn't pure copper but probably an accidental alloy with a small percentage of contaminating metal. Bad for coining since it would have wrecked the dies faster, but would have held out a little longer in the ground. That also fits the narrative of production problems. :laughing7:

I'm sure you've already thought of this but have you gone in the river or checked the other side where they would come out? 10 coppers from such a small area is extraordinary!

Yup definitely checked the other side, although I'd say it's due for another pass in light of this recent hunt! Not nearly as much was on the other bank, but I did find a silvered dandy button and a pewter ring so at least the right date range. The opposite bank is lower so spring floods might have washed out most of the artifacts. I get the feeling that there's another colonial homesite around, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old coppers! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Thanks for the explanation on the 1786 Vermont copper, I learned something today!

Doug from NS

Apr 21, 2019
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Currently Fisher F75LTD SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds!

I would try going downstream, especially if the water can be high in the spring. I have found coins downstream of old bridges but never upstream.

A couple of years ago I had a nice signal in a ford of a small brook. I had no pinpointer at the time so could not find it even though I tried on multiple occasions. Next spring the signal was gone so I walked down stream and where the water deepened and slowed there was a 1914 silver 5 cent sitting on the sand.

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great coppers

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one of less than

200 known ,
Vermont coppers is above an beyond greatness !
Good Day !
:occasion14: CMD

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding hunt...love the old coppers! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread