Crossed off a long-awaited wish-lister x 2!

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't posted much on the forum in a while, have not had a very lucky spring and the weather has pretty much sucked here in the Northeast. That changed after work Tuesday night when I went back to a wooded spot next to a small stream that I found a Largie at last year. I thought I had hit it pretty good, but I worked slow with the Deus and it paid off.

First found a Barber dime in the root structure of a fallen tree, don't forget to check those, it was a couple feet off the ground! I got close to the rushing water to work the bank, and I got a nice whispery signal. Dug and dug in the rocky muddy hole as it kept filling with water. Was so deep at one point my pinpointer was submerged completely in the hole.

IMG_2579.jpg

Had to pick through roots and rocks with my fingers, then all of a sudden I felt it, the curved edge of a coin. When I pulled it out I thought it was another largie because it was so dark. Not so, 1856O half, I've been waiting 15 years to find one. Then, when passing my coil over the hole, I got another whisper! Got in there again and pulled out an 1877CC, my first Carson City half dollar.

IMG_2585.jpeg

What I can't understand is why they came out so different. The 56 is that perfect old silver patina, dark and rich, but the 77 is kind of strange, almost pitted, the surface is rough in spots.

I was pretty pumped to get a long standing coin off my list, twice at once, it's been a long time. The best part is I think there may be something else in the hole, I got another tiny high pitch after the second one, but I could not get to it and the rain started coming down hard. Will have to get back tonight.

Thanks for looking, good luck to all,
Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 56

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Double whammy
Congrats

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
awesome job with the Deus to find some awesome silvers

TreeFarm

Aug 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Steve! Let's hear it for the rain making those coins pop! Great find!

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome Steve! Let's hear it for the rain making those coins pop! Great find!

Nice to hear from you Jeff! And thanks everyone for your comments, I went back to the spot with Joe, he found a beautiful old hat pin porcelain with gold inlays...Joe, post that puppy! I tried to find the other signal, but I dug and dug in the water filled hole but still couldn't get to whatever it is. There's definitely something else, but it may just be a piece of junk. Cant give up though until I find it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread