Not a "Today" find but still pretty recent

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again, just wanted to show you some more of my recent finds from here in southern Arizona, and how I like to display them in a rikers case. To start, it was kind of an unusual day in that I was hunting with my dear old mother, and not really looking for these kind of things, but managed to find #2 on my bucket list of finds. Anyway, it was around the time of her recent birthday, so we took a drive out and I took her to one of my "hunting spots" to show her this old farmhouse that is rotting away.

I had only walked around this place one other time and happened to spot a few glass and clay marbles, some of the buttons you see there, a bead or two, and a 1940s wheat penny on the ground, but that was pretty much it. When I took her back I just wanted to get a picture of the old place (which I think I deleted, unintentionally) but she got to looking around on the ground, and before you know it shes disappeared, wandering off into the desert, staring at the dirt! Kind of funny and irritating at the same time, since I worry about snakes and things like that, and I wasnt planning on spending much time there, but she managed to find this old "garbage dump" area, or at least a place where garbage was dumped at one point and later, mostly cleaned up, and this Chinese coin in the middle of it. And considering how close the old railroad is and the age of the broken glass, no doubt brought into Arizona by one of our early-day Chinese pioneers, probably before the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882. (This place isnt that far from the original 1880 transcontinental railroad, but not along it.)

Needless to say I was little sad and very happy when she found it, but also thankful it was my mother and not a buddy or girlfriend or sibling who found it, since I got to "inherit" it pretty much as soon as it was plucked from the dirt. And in case you're unfamiliar with Chinese coins, this one is from the great Chinese Emperor Kangxi and dates way back to 1662 to 1722, and was already an old coin when a Chinese pioneer crossed the Pacific with it.

Everything else you see in the photo was found scattered among the broken glass in this garbage dump, or on the ground near the house and some foundations we saw nearby, including the bottle, all these clay marbles, the skeleton key, muleshoe, baby-gauge railroad spike, a couple date nails from a fence, and a couple of wheaties from 1911 and 1918. There rifle casing is from World War I and is dated 1918 and underneath is a stripper clip, probably from the same rifle.

Apart from the Chinese coin my favorites are these bonafide Indian trade beads, which I found, along with basically everything else here except the Chinese coin. Ive been doing some reading up on Native American trade beads lately and found examples of identical beads in museums and private collections, and this was pretty recent so Im kind of excited about them. They say a good way to tell if your glass trade bead is a real, antique one is bubbles in the glass, and all three of these ones do. The red spherical bead of this specific shape and size were used in a NA necklaces from the 19th century, same for the flat blue one. The red seed bead may not be quite as old, or it may be, Im not so sure on that one, and the blue barrel shaped one is more difficult to date because they were in use all over the continent for centuries, and are one of the most common styles of trade beads found.

IMG_2265.JPG IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2025.JPG

Upvote 19

Al.relics

Jan 28, 2019
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Nox 800, Whites DFX e series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good read and for sharing your finds in a nicely done display. Good work and GL out there.

Last edited:

azdave

Dec 12, 2014
southern AZ
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great finds in southern AZ! I've found Chinese coins of the same vintage in Pinal County at a mining camp/millsite and a Chinese "half coin" at an old ranch site... Keep up the hunt!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the way you set up your display case! Is that a mule shoe in the middle? I would love to find some of those trade beads, good eye!

OP
OP
Old Pueblo

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe so yes. According to an old friend here on T-net. Muleshoes are more "U" shaped where as horseshoes are more round.

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool finds, congratulations! Your display is very nice. Well done.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin and great tale of discovery! I hope to find one of those some day! I love that they have a chance of being super old and unless you can read the characters it takes some research to date those. Very nice finds and the trade beads are super cool! I bet if you wait awhile and go back after some rains there will be more stuff uncovered!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the spur buckle on the left! Nice digs :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread