mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sun was shining and it was time for an "extended lunch break" so I logged out of work and headed to a new piece of dirt. The truth is that I had received permission a year ago but with the spot being fairly small, and a considerable distance from Lake Michigan, I was not really expecting to find all that much. I only had a 90 minute window, and it was close to work, so I zipped on over to officially cross the spot off of my list. I know now that I shouldn't have waited a year to go there.

I took my time and slowly meandered along the upper banks finding a couple shotgun headstamps (which I consider the 'pull tabs' of the forest). I have found thousands of those over the years but ya' gotta dig em' because a brass fur trade ring sounds close. I zigzagged for a bit and made my way onto a semi-flat area and started hitting square nails. Bingo!

It took just a few minutes to realize that the site was never searched. Or not searched well. ;) I plucked a couple rings, a lead 'whizzer', silver brooch, flat button, silver ear-bob and a bunch of other top-pocket finds. I was scanning and digging like crazy when the AT-Pro gave me a loud mid-tone...it sounded like a large piece of brass but who knows so I dug a large plug just in case...

It's obviously French (Fleur-de-lis) and appears to be some sort of item one would wear on their person. Based on research, and fellow-digger input, it would be from the 17th - 18th century and would have been used to hold something fragrant possibly...like garlic to ward off evil spirits. Creepy stuff. I would love to find out more about it so if anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate the knowledge.

20190515_091008.jpg 20190515_090948.jpg 20190514_214526.jpg

Upvote 21

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice find but would also love to see the other finds you made.

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That thing is super cool! Great find!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool item. Make sure to go there and sweep til you no longer get any signals anywhere! Also go after some rain. I have a spot that is many acres and I've been over it so many times I have lost track. Just when I think there is nothing left to find I still find stuff. I swing the AT Max not too much difference!

OP
OP
M

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree. The AT Pro loves wet dirt.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really nice find mk, and potentially a really old find! The "Fleur De Lis" is said to represent the body feminine and the complex cage at the end of the chain is likely a diffuser which a lady might fill with freshly crushed flower petals. A way a lady might make herself more attractive using the scent of local flora instead of an expensive European concoction. I'm hoping some of the real power hitters will comment on this but I think it swell!

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find. Congrats and good luck. Hope you get a positive ID.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any info, but that is a very nice and interesting find.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it !!!! Congrats on a great find !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread