bravobob

Feb 16, 2017
Santa Barbara,Ca
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw this video in which i saw a trick to detecting next to a chainlink fence that i havent thought about. In the video the guy ran his coil slowly parallel with the fence. With my CZ6a if i swung towards the fence i could only get about a foot away. But if i sneek (!) up on it then run parallel i could be within 3 or 4 inches.
So today i went to an old Jr.High that I've been to in the past. All ready pulled 6 silver rings and two silver dimes from there. In the back there's an old baseball field. Ive hit it before but not next to the fence so today i tried just along the backstop fence. Nice and slow. Pulled some clad when a solid dime signal rang out , but when i dug it it was no dime ! No sir. Out came a
Michael Valitutti cubic zirconia 925 silver ring ! One of my better silver ring finds.
IMG_20190515_191159_01_01.jpg
Here she is all cleaned up.
20190515_195524.jpg
20190515_195645.jpg
20190515_195531.jpg
Thanks for looking. Gl&HH.

Upvote 31

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one chunky looking ring ! Good thing you watched that video and learned a new trick.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm.. This is new I have the same problem unless I turn sens way down. I'll give it a go and see if it works! I have a little spot between two chain link fences I hunt weekly and it almost always produces a dollar or two in clad, but I don't get to close to the fence very often.

Cool Find!

Oregon_Digger

May 11, 2019
Lane County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MX Sport -
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin’s video? I’ve been sneaking up along fences recently too. Very nice ring! Now you have to think of all the decent places you’ve hunted and need to go back and do the fences. Good luck on many more treasures! :icon_thumright:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevin’s video? I’ve been sneaking up along fences recently too. Very nice ring! Now you have to think of all the decent places you’ve hunted and need to go back and do the fences. Good luck on many more treasures! :icon_thumright:

This?

Actually, no... looks like this is the one where he explains his method.

Last edited:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting the vids! I'll watch and learn, then give it a try on some fences I've been avoiding for the very same reason.
Grease

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice looking ring! :icon_thumleft:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Way to work it. I've been doing that for some time with my Garrett AT Pro. Turn down sensitivity a little and get the coil up against the fence and start moving slowly while slightly moving away from the fence. I have found some nice finds very close to the fence as well.

Grats on a super silver ring.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used to do that as a kid because lot of guys would not go near fences - same thing about old side walks with re-bar in them
and have done same with old boat ramps with re-bar too - gotten some nice gold and silver that way
keep it up!

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great insight. I’ll try that with my Nox, but will also try it with my A250. Never saw the pushing technique vs swinging. I can see how that might work well vs swinging and the detector constantly trying to lock in on the fence. Congrats on your finds!

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: There's fences around all the parks I hunt! I need to try this! Thanks!

Mvgirl

Aug 6, 2018
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter land ranger pro, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw this video in which i saw a trick to detecting next to a chainlink fence that i havent thought about. In the video the guy ran his coil slowly parallel with the fence. With my CZ6a if i swung towards the fence i could only get about a foot away. But if i sneek (!) up on it then run parallel i could be within 3 or 4 inches.
So today i went to an old Jr.High that I've been to in the past. All ready pulled 6 silver rings and two silver dimes from there. In the back there's an old baseball field. Ive hit it before but not next to the fence so today i tried just along the backstop fence. Nice and slow. Pulled some clad when a solid dime signal rang out , but when i dug it it was no dime ! No sir. Out came a
Michael Valitutti cubic zirconia 925 silver ring ! One of my better silver ring finds.
View attachment 1712886
Here she is all cleaned up.
View attachment 1712887
View attachment 1712888
View attachment 1712889
Thanks for looking. Gl&HH.

How old was the school? I've a few schools older than 1960 that I want to try.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Great tip, I'll be trying this!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread