Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Found this in "the cornfield" which years back yielded two completely toasted discs which, based on their size and weight, TNet members surmised had once been large cents. The one found today has a tiny bit of the original face left (I think). I believe I can make out the letters "ber" just to the left of the hole. It appears that the only remaining copper is the green material, right? The rest is non-metallic but doesn't seem to be copper. Was this possibly a counterfeit? If it is, how does one even break even by counterfeiting one cent pieces? Seems to me that time and material required to make a passable fake would exceed the value. IMG_0417.jpg IMG_0418.jpg

NOTE: Sorry, the photo should be rotated 90 degrees to the right. In the picture as shown, the lettering is below the hole.
HH
dts

Upvote 5

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its always a tough call when they are in that shape. Good luck on your quest for an ID.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting find. Congrats. I’m no expert but possibly a coin or token.

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either a classic head or matron head large cent (1808-1838). The lettering you're seeing is what's left of the Liberty in the headband. The green material is patina remnants which are a mixture of copper sulfates, carbonates, and nitrates from soil action. The material below it is the copper with a layer of copper oxide. The fairly pure copper planchets used to make large cents do particularly badly in fields so it's not unusual to find them in that shape, although sometimes you get lucky.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Either a classic head or matron head large cent (1808-1838). The lettering you're seeing is what's left of the Liberty in the headband. The green material is patina remnants which are a mixture of copper sulfates, carbonates, and nitrates from soil action. The material below it is the copper with a layer of copper oxide. The fairly pure copper planchets used to make large cents do particularly badly in fields so it's not unusual to find them in that shape, although sometimes you get lucky.

Thanks for the information. I don't know why this particular cornfield eats up coins that way. Maybe all the fertilizer over the years, or just another strike against Connecticut in general?
HH
dts

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how does one even break even by counterfeiting one cent pieces?

Inflation

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions