Very Rare Infantry Button and Decorative Tombac!!!

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been combining posts with mbcuce. Our spot is definitely waning, and there hasn't been enough for one person to make a thread.
This weekend the quantity of finds was still pretty modest, but I did find two very cool buttons.

One button seems to be a rare infantry officer's button from 1810 - 1820. If anyone can add info on it, that would be appreciated. The second button is just a very nicely decorated tombac button.

Also found an interesting pendant that looks like it might have had a stone or cut glass in it, at one time, and a primitive small wing nut.

I was hoping that the half disc was a broken or cut copper, but if so, its completely toasted. Could be something else.

finds total.jpg
infantry front.jpg infantry rev.jpg
tombac deco.jpg
pendant front.jpg pendant rev.jpg

Upvote 23

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like there's a number 5 on the shield of that 1812 button? 5th regiment?

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

It does have a 5, I haven’t seen one with the regiment on the shield before. What’s weird too is I found a 3rd regiment artillery and a 2nd reg infantry at the same site all from war 1812 era. We also found earlier military buttons including a British officer’s 1st foot.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds ! It says 5 reg. , Awesome :occasion14:

OP
OP
Lost Signal

Lost Signal

Mar 5, 2019
Lowcountry SC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Garrett 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
gheenoe78 - That's right. I read that these buttons were made with blank shields, so that the regiment numbers could be stamped in later. There's a roster of the South Carolina 5th Regiment (Keith's Regiment) from the War of 1812, and I recognized some names from the history of this area.

During that war, there weren't any military engagements here, so as mbcuce said, it is curious that we've found 1812 buttons from 3 different regiments at our site.

I was just excited to finally find something other than an plain flat button, and this one seems to be pretty scarce!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely in that 1808-1812 period, I've seen a few with the marked shields...as others have mentioned, likely added after the fact once assigned to the regiment. Funny to think of how many 1812 era buttons come out of the LC as many strategists thought the British would follow a similar strategy to the revolutionary southern campaign.

mbcuce

Jan 6, 2019
SC Lowcountry
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400; Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely in that 1808-1812 period, I've seen a few with the marked shields...as others have mentioned, likely added after the fact once assigned to the regiment. Funny to think of how many 1812 era buttons come out of the LC as many strategists thought the British would follow a similar strategy to the revolutionary southern campaign.

That's true VMI. We've found 1812 buttons at other Low Country sites but as far as I know there wasn't any action anywhere around us. I guess they were gonna be ready.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome button find! :occasion14:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the fall of Charleston in 1780 to the British, they wanted to avoid a similar outcome during the war of 1812. There were actually quite a few military outposts and stations in the area during that time preparing for an attack that never came. I've found quitea few 1812 era military pewters. They're usually just the plain "I" infantry variety though.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the "BESTT QUALITY" Armitage backmark. I have a Navy button with the same mark!

066.JPG

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 5th regiment button and the decorative tombac is a real looker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread