New To Detecting ( First Finds This Weekend)

gixxer007

Greenie
Aug 17, 2016
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I bought the Equinox 800 brand new and this is my first time ever detecting.
So I got my nox a couple weeks ago and this weekend was my first time both getting to use it and also even metal detecting lol.

Have just been playing around and trying to get use to it in my back yard. Since I can not really judge the nox vs any other detector, I must say this is one great machine! I am loving it every min and can not wait to take her out into some areas I always said I wanted to try and detect one day.

Sure not much of any value but so enjoyed digging each one of the. I even got one silver that was my third target I ever dug. I can’t wait to find some more silver that is for sure.
I didn’t show all the trash I dug up which was a lot also lol.

Any advice on how to clean these all up would be great ?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• ECD7D0A6-ED5E-472E-81AA-F459C5377B29.jpeg
    ECD7D0A6-ED5E-472E-81AA-F459C5377B29.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 117
Upvote 25

BenVa68

Mar 9, 2018
Hopewell va.
Detector(s) used
Technetics T2+ Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I bought the Equinox 800 brand new and this is my first time ever detecting.
So I got my nox a couple weeks ago and this weekend was my first time both getting to use it and also even metal detecting lol.

Have just been playing around and trying to get use to it in my back yard. Since I can not really judge the nox vs any other detector, I must say this is one great machine! I am loving it every min and can not wait to take her out into some areas I always said I wanted to try and detect one day.

Sure not much of any value but so enjoyed digging each one of the. I even got one silver that was my third target I ever dug. I can’t wait to find some more silver that is for sure.
I didn’t show all the trash I dug up which was a lot also lol.

Any advice on how to clean these all up would be great ?

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

The more you use the nox the more youll love it. I usually soak my copper coins in olive oil then use a toothpick and soft brush.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First finds and a silver dime already is pretty good hunting. Welcome to Tnet.

Hughett

May 11, 2019
Northwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett gta x 1250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a good start. I’ll give you the same advice I got.
-It's a numbers game. The more you dig the more you find.
-Dig everything.
- you have to dig 300 pull tabs to find one gold ring.
- where knee pads
- check your hole twice
- start a test garden
- Wear sunscreen
Am I missing anything guys?
Keep up the good work!
Oh one more thing...lemon juice and what ever you do...DON’T dry rub, Or the metal detecting gods will strike you down.
Kidding of course we all do it.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby! Excellent choice with the Equinox it won't let you down. Congratulations on the silver!

Steve

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds for your first time using the nox. Congrats and welcome to tnet from Niagara Falls.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats !! Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting !! Enjoy your new hobby & the fun & surprises that it brings.
Keep in mind that many coins & other objects are best left as is. Careful when digging an item out of the ground, especially old coins.
The least amount of damage you do to an object the better. Even slight scratches can lessen the value of an old/rare coin. Read & heed the
tips you find on this site. Many experienced veteran detectorists here offer advice on everything imaginable about the hobby/profession.
There are forums here that deal with all kinds of things like cleaning coins etc. For example, this thread deals with cleaning or not cleaning
copper coins. (see link) Opinions vary, depending on rarity, but you can judge for yourself what is best for your particular future finds.
Best wishes & happy hunting !! Link: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...hat-best-way-clean-preserve-copper-coins.html
Also, this man's advice is very good & informative. He's found lots of old coppers. Link:

Last edited:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Awesome stuff. Way to go on the silver dime and wheat pennies. You’re off to a hot start.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding silver so quickly! Always find out if a coin is rare/valuable before you do anything to it. As the others mentioned, value will be significantly reduced if a rare coin is cleaned.

Also, keep all your junk for a while before trashing/recycling. Revisit it later, you might discover something good you thought was junk at first. I remember a story of someone posting a pic of their first finds, and someone pointed out there was a civil war eagle breast plate in the pic. Sadly the guy had thrown it in the trash because he didn’t realize what he had. I still keep all my season’s junk, then go through it in the winter. It’s paid off a few times!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome dixxer and congrats! Nice back yard.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first outing and finding your first silver. Welcome to the hobby.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello2:

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia!!! Silver first time out way to go!:skullflag:

OP
OP
G

gixxer007

Greenie
Aug 17, 2016
CT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome dixxer and congrats! Nice back yard.

Funny part is I didn’t think I would find a things other than trash let alone being new but the house yard really seemed to give me some good practice at least. I rented this house after my divorce so so not know any history other than I pay rent and live in it with my daughter.

Let’s see if anything good comes from the next venture to the back yard this weekend.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow silver on your first hunt ever! Don't expect silver every hunt! lol Once you get used to the Nox you will love it! I really love mine. Awesome machine.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s a good start. I’ll give you the same advice I got.
-It's a numbers game. The more you dig the more you find.
-Dig everything.
- you have to dig 300 pull tabs to find one gold ring.
- where knee pads
- check your hole twice
- start a test garden
- Wear sunscreen
Am I missing anything guys?
Keep up the good work!
Oh one more thing...lemon juice and what ever you do...DON’T dry rub, Or the metal detecting gods will strike you down.
Kidding of course we all do it.

Bug spray, lots of bug spray

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt & nice silver for your first, great start to the hobby, congrats & Welcome to tnet from Upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread