[BANNER] Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found - Page 11
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    882 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I thought a bit more about my response regarding tarnish. We don't usually refer to a gold coin as tarnished - but it is possible for a gold coin to become toned and not appear "as struck". It would be a mistake to clean such toning. I have a 1842-O quarter eagle that shows a nice slightly coppery toning in the devices that I like because it adds a bit of contrast. I had the $2 Newfoundland gold set along with some high grade very low mintage silver Victorian pieces. Some of the gold dates were attractively toned - especially the key 1880 date and the first year of 1865. I sold them all at a Bowers & Merena auction about 20 or so years ago. Perhaps we call it toning because the word tarnish suggests that some item is in need of cleaning - which a toned gold coin never needs. How the coin was stored and the chemistry of the area around it - whether soil, water or old paper envelope, could affect the toning. Gary's coin shows little or no toning and for all effective purposes is "as struck". I suspect the soil there, so suitable for growing rocks, is fairly sterile and relatively non-reactive.
    Rick is indeed correct about the differance between toning and tarnish. Although I don't collect coins now ,but was a numismatist for like most of my life ,can say gold coins found in the ground, even in
    salt water look like they do when lost . Mel Fishers's many gold coin finds attest to that. Toning I usually associate with older silver coins like silver Morgan or Peace dollars for example. The way coins are stored can create beautiful toning and many collectors love the look of them. Often first strikes from the dies create a mirror proof like surface and some even frosted and highly collectable.. Silver found in salt water and in the ground is almost always tarnished and up to u to clean or not. When in doubt best to leave it as found . When the gold guinea came out of that ground it needed little attention other washing off the dirt. Probably the best pic of it to show is the middle in my recent post. It has some mint luster with mint red on the reverse and the fields glossy and makes the old king stand out. iT never saw circulation except briefly in the hands of the paymaster and the officer. I have no doubt it was a hard loss for him. A always thanks for your remarks .Gary
    Last edited by Castineman1779; Jul 23, 2019 at 06:43 AM.

us
    Mar 2012
    Greenville, NC
    DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
    46 times
    Relic Hunting
    HaHa Gary, you made banner with this one, well deserved. Beautiful
    Chris Carroll
    BA History NCWC
    nchistory@Hotmail.com

us
    Dec 2016
    northern ca
    XP Deus, AT GOLD
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    that is a fantastic find, hoping someday I too find a gold coin.....

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    882 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick54 View Post
    that is a fantastic find, hoping someday I too find a gold coin.....
    Nick54
    Thank u very much and when u do find yours it indeed will be a
    Shock & Awe" moment as well. One thing I can write here is Expect the Unexpected" . One feature on the Deus I have learned to use is the "depth reading" . I use it often when u can't swing a coil and believe it or not get greater depth than just in the FAST(RELIC) mode an expect in others as well. Good luck . I want o see that Cal gold when u find one. Gary
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

Aug 2019
    Utah
    26 times
    Way nice

us
    Brian

Sep 2012
    Murrieta, CA
    Minelab CTX3030 and Minelab Excalibur
    208 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Thank you so much for the photos and the back story. Obviously, this is an incredible find. So often it is on the "last dig of the day" or "on the way back to the vehicle" that these things seem to happen. Thank you for giving credence to the phrase, "You never know..." I know that this find and the story will bring you pleasure for many years to come.

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    882 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by califteacher View Post
    Thank you so much for the photos and the back story. Obviously, this is an incredible find. So often it is on the "last dig of the day" or "on the way back to the vehicle" that these things seem to happen. Thank you for giving credence to the phrase, "You never know..." I know that this find and the story will bring you pleasure for many years to come.
    Brian
    Thank u very much or your kind words . Yes indeed I have had a few of those "last dig of the day", as was the little gold coin and my "Shock & Awe" moment and also "on they way back to the vehicle in my last 23 years hunting this site moments . . First since Tnet will put me off before I finish this post I will list it now and come back to finish . I do long posts and often loose them.
    Okey I am back . This year I experienced both and hope u don't mind me going back into "The Wayback Machine" to write about one of them. The first the little gold coin as the last dig of the day . The 2nd on my was back to the car . In my first 8 years of relic hunting Castine had found enough ordnance to write my first of 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasure mag called ' Have a Ball". Back then I mainly looked for ordnance. One day I had hunted hard for about 8 warm hours , dog tired ,and looked like a skunk day. On the way back to my car was literally dragging my coil on the ground behind me. About 150 feet from the car get a beep in my headphones. Dig down about 3 inches and see the top of a 6 pounder cannon ball. Man that was a great ending to a long hot day. "Wait it gets better" as in the commercials. So I get the ball home and start cleaning it and find a French Flur DE Leis . Man that was a shock . However I had to wonder what a French CB was doing in an American/ British battle/siege .So did more research and learned when the Brits arrived in June of 1779 they had captured a French ship called the Saint Helena and brought her and her 14- 6 pound cannons into service . Question answered. So that was my 'back to the car" moment u mentioned. Fast forward to 8 April this year and my first day to hunt Castine. It was cold one but as chomping at the bit to hunt. So I park when I usually do and a couple hunted feet where I found the French 6 those many years ago. On my way up the path I am thinking about that ball found 15 yars ago and looking into the woods where it was found saying to myself man I would love to find another one of them . So I take a right turn into that wood, fire up the Deus and start swinging. On my 5th swing over a tree stump to my surprize get a hit. Thinking yup that's gotta be junk dig down about 6 inches and uncover thee top of a cannon ball. I had dug enough sides to know this was another 6 . Now is it another French one? Get it home and yup it is. The Brits were firing on the American's using the French ordnance. So I get a two fer. One about 15 years apart .Man I just love this hobby and sure u agree. BTW the smiley face was my idea. Yup keep dreaming as in this great and wonderful hobby they indeed can come true and expect the unexpected and be ready to put a smile on your face as seen on this French ball.. Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3367.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	1743451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3272.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	1743452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3274.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	187.0 KB 
ID:	1743453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3263.JPG 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	1743449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3269.JPG 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	1743450  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	1743454  
    Last edited by Castineman1779; Aug 16, 2019 at 05:07 AM.
    Blak bart and bottlebum like this.

us
    DetectorMoe

Apr 2013
    SouthEast North Carolina
    XP Deus, Equinox800, ATpro
    2756 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Wow, Now that is a awesome dig. Congrats!
    What year is it?, mind me asking?

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    882 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Tentis. Thanks and the French ball in the 5 pics was April 8th this year. The lastan accumulation from 1995-2005 before I wrote "Have a Ball and published in 2006.Gary
    PetesPockets55 likes this.

us
    Aug 2019
    Upstate/Central NY, & central Florida
    Whites DFX 300; Tesoro Tiger Shark; Minelab CTX 3030
    466 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    In EVERYONE on this forum's wildest dream! Plucking a gold coin from the darkness of the earths crust. And having pulled several gold rings from watery highly acidic soil looking like they were just lost, there is no doubt in my mind that a gold coin would come out relatively clean from mere forest dirt. Silver even does, most of the time.

That is why they are Precious Metals, and why us mortals desire them so.... What an AWESOME find, Congrats!
    PetesPockets55 and smallfoot like this.
    Freedom isn't FREE! Thank You to all who choose to Protect & Serve in our military and Law Enforcement. But I am ashamed and embarrassed lately. To those FEW who would tarnish the badge and muddy the uniform, that I proudly wore for 20 years, YOU don't deserve to be wearing them! ALL human life is valued. Compassion, RESPECT, and morality is paramount.
    To those who don't or won't value these,
    GET OUT! I LOVE the U.S.A., and this hobby!

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    882 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    [QUOTE=CCDAMEEK;6276948]In EVERYONE on this forum's wildest dream! Plucking a gold coin from the darkness of the earths crust. And having pulled several gold rings from watery highly acidic soil looking like they were just lost, there is no doubt in my mind that a gold coin would come out relatively clean from mere forest dirt. Silver even does, most of the time.

That is why they are Precious Metals, and why us mortals desire them so.... What an AWESOME find, Congrats![/QUOT
    Thank u and yes I never even gave any thought this little British gold coin would come under my coil. I still wake up a times and pinch myself thinking it was only a dream and then see the shine of tha precious metal reflecting back a me. However that is the beauty of this great hobby and can happen to anyone that swings a coil.
    BTW thanks for the "Freedom isn't free" as I give thanks to all thst served from the American REvolution till today. I planted flags on graves of he Americans buried on the crest of a hill plus on TRask Rocks. Always thank the Vets with a "Thanks for your Service. . Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3911.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	174.9 KB 
ID:	1744907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3897.JPG 
Size:	294.2 KB 
ID:	1744908  
    smallfoot and Megalodon like this.

us
    Jan 2005
    Choctaw Beach Florida
    Equinox 800 and 600, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
    1515 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Man o man what a find!
    God and country.

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    882 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Man o man what a find!
    Birdman . Thanks and I have no doubt if ones swings the coil long enough a gold coin will come under your coin as well. Expect the expected and savor the "Shock and Awe" moment when it comes. Gary

us
    Jul 2007
    Indiana
    Fisher
    97 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Castineman1779 View Post
    Brian
    Thank u very much or your kind words . Yes indeed I have had a few of those "last dig of the day", as was the little gold coin and my "Shock & Awe" moment and also "on they way back to the vehicle in my last 23 years hunting this site moments . . First since Tnet will put me off before I finish this post I will list it now and come back to finish . I do long posts and often loose them.
    Okey I am back . This year I experienced both and hope u don't mind me going back into "The Wayback Machine" to write about one of them. The first the little gold coin as the last dig of the day . The 2nd on my was back to the car . In my first 8 years of relic hunting Castine had found enough ordnance to write my first of 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasure mag called ' Have a Ball". Back then I mainly looked for ordnance. One day I had hunted hard for about 8 warm hours , dog tired ,and looked like a skunk day. On the way back to my car was literally dragging my coil on the ground behind me. About 150 feet from the car get a beep in my headphones. Dig down about 3 inches and see the top of a 6 pounder cannon ball. Man that was a great ending to a long hot day. "Wait it gets better" as in the commercials. So I get the ball home and start cleaning it and find a French Flur DE Leis . Man that was a shock . However I had to wonder what a French CB was doing in an American/ British battle/siege .So did more research and learned when the Brits arrived in June of 1779 they had captured a French ship called the Saint Helena and brought her and her 14- 6 pound cannons into service . Question answered. So that was my 'back to the car" moment u mentioned. Fast forward to 8 April this year and my first day to hunt Castine. It was cold one but as chomping at the bit to hunt. So I park when I usually do and a couple hunted feet where I found the French 6 those many years ago. On my way up the path I am thinking about that ball found 15 yars ago and looking into the woods where it was found saying to myself man I would love to find another one of them . So I take a right turn into that wood, fire up the Deus and start swinging. On my 5th swing over a tree stump to my surprize get a hit. Thinking yup that's gotta be junk dig down about 6 inches and uncover thee top of a cannon ball. I had dug enough sides to know this was another 6 . Now is it another French one? Get it home and yup it is. The Brits were firing on the American's using the French ordnance. So I get a two fer. One about 15 years apart .Man I just love this hobby and sure u agree. BTW the smiley face was my idea. Yup keep dreaming as in this great and wonderful hobby they indeed can come true and expect the unexpected and be ready to put a smile on your face as seen on this French ball.. Gary
    Wow! I would love to find a cannon ball.

Congratulations for your coin find.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links