Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1575 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great find! Thanks for sharing pics and the Rev. War history surrounding it. Banner all day long...
    A2coins likes this.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    May 2018
    Maryland
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    1575 times
    As stated in this link, it is unlikely that a common foot soldier would have had a guinea in his possession and not likely that such a large denomination would have been used to pay soldiers.

Revolutionary War - Eight Pence Pay

Have you found out how much officers were paid and if they were paid in gold guineas? I'm thinking this might have come across the ocean with a well-heeled officer as part of his personal possessions. Had it become common knowledge that officers carried such sums, would it have increased the likelihood that their bodies would have been checked for valuables after falling on the battlefield? My understanding is that it was a common practice for townsfolk in Europe to loot the bodies of fallen soldiers during the Napoleonic Wars and other conflicts. But I have not heard of this in the US - except for shipwreck breakers.

Always do right; this will gratify some and astonish the rest.
    - Mark Twain

us
    Oct 2013
    Topsham, Maine
    Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
    8277 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    Well well well....thatís quite the reintroduction old friend. What a gorgeous piece of history and knowing the history of where it came from puts it on the top shelf. Obvious BANNER. I will be sending you an email today.
    A2coins likes this.
    "Life which is lived without zest and adventure-is not life at all."
    -F.A. Mitchell-Hedges, British Explorer
    2017 BEST FINDS
    -1723 KG1
    -Colonial Cufflinks
    Oldest Coin To Date: 1652 Pine Tree Shilling NOE 29
    Colonial Silver To Date: 11
    Hammered Coins To Date: 1664 Potosi Mint COB
    1653 Copper Cob

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    519 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)

Gold guinea

Well morning my old friend. I hope life is treating u and your family well and expect being a young un still swinging that coil. Yup after hunting this site for 23 years now was a "Shock & Awe" moment for me and expect never be duplicated. I was on the search for the other half of an American hex 6 lb bar shot when i got the signal. Hell one coin is enough I am not greedy . My thoughts after I found it was it indeed worthy of mention in Tnet and appreciate all the good folks chiming in . Have answered a few questions and expect will be more. Coin looks as minted and being found in the ground environmental damage with a few light scratches and some minor rim damage about 2 O Clock on the reverse. Expect it got stepped on by a soldier to leave the marks on the retreat. Would downgrade to About Uncirculated . Measures 25 mm and same as a U.S quarter, 4.8 grams of 22 Kt gold. I will put up a pic here for comparison. On my way down for a rain hunt and hope to hear from u soon. Stay well my friend. Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3524.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	1715581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3484.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	225.2 KB 
ID:	1715582   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3522.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	1715584  
    Last edited by Castineman1779; May 24, 2019 at 07:12 AM.

Apr 2016
    South Western PA
    ACE 250 with DD coil Equinox 600
    8354 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Incredible piece of history/treasure/top of bucket list find! Congrats!!
    A2coins likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola
    21319 times
    Banner Finds (7)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Mine from the Faithful Steward shipwreck is almost as clean. All but 1 of the gold coins I have found look just like they were put in the ground. British officers were paid in guineas, which is the coin you have found. But in over 50 years of looking I have only found one guinea and one 2 escudo! Again, great job. And yes, only an officer would have this, unless it had been stolen of course way back in the day.
    A2coins and Megalodon like this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Massachusetts
    Garrett AT Max
    2180 times
    This coin is stupendously superb! The fact that you have been hunting that spot for 23 years means you paid your dues and then some to find that! Great condition and a great story around it. I did read your article about the shoe buckle. Huge congrats on the achievement!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3102 times
    Bravo Gary, Bravo! You suggested Crusader might be Scotland Yard, the quality of your posts suggests you might be National Geographic!

I know the Brittish had an aversion for sending hard currency to America, and sent script, copper and silver instead of gold. Perhaps the military was exempt from that. I've read that explorers and soldiers of fortune carried objects that might help secure assistance if they were lost or abandoned on the battlefield. It could also be that the owner pressed it into the soil knowing he'd never need it and to keep it out of colonial hands. Many of the soldiers that fought for the colonies were French and Indian war vets. They often scalped their victims so, that being said, the pockets got searched also.

Perhaps the owner had been reposted from somewhere like Canada or was a newly minted Lieutenant that hadn't been in theater very long. I had a GGG Grandfather that took a load of grapeshot full on at Gettysburg in Pickett's charge. It cut him right in half and was so gruesome they wrote about in the company record. I would think that innards, fabric and accoutrements went everywhere.

This is a wonderful find and definitely BANNER worthy! Thanks for sharing!
    A2coins and Megalodon like this.
    Phil

Jun 2013
    770 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Holy crap! That is unbelievable! Banner all the freaking way!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Charlie

Feb 2015
    New York/Florida
    DEUS ALL THE WAY
    2126 times
    Metal Detecting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Holy s%#^ man amazing banner find for sure
    My votes in. Congratulations on a killer find !!
    A2coins likes this.
    Eastcoast

us
    "Diggin with Kap" on Youtube!

Sep 2013
    Downtown Lehman
    minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
    1008 times
    Metal Detecting
    Amazing
    A2coins likes this.
    "You can observe a lot by just watching."-Yogi Berra

us
    Feb 2014
    Lowcountry, South Carolina
    CTX-3030, Deus XP HF Round/Elliptical, White's TRX Pinpointer
    5142 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    Attribution or not, its a gorgeous colonial gold coin - welcome back to Tnet...and almost certainly the banner!
    A2coins likes this.
    2019 Best Coins

-1695 William III Halfpenny
    -1722 Rosa Americana

2019 Best Relics

-SC 3rd Regiment of Rangers Button
    -3rd American Regiment Button (NY Volunteers)
    -1st Regiment of Infantry Cuff (1808)
    -Infantry Script I Coat
    -Infantry Script I Cuffs
    -1812 US Coat
    -1812 US Cuff
    -Colonial Pewter Ingot
    -Hotchkiss Lead Sabot
    -Southern #8 Hat Badge
    -Federal GS Eagle buttons

us
    Jul 2012
    USA
    Minelab E-Trac
    2888 times
    Absolutely Incredible!
    A2coins likes this.

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Garrett AT Gold, XP Deus, Fisher 1270
    7335 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    That is an amazing find from a historical location. It just don't get any better than that. Colonial gold coins are rare as hens teeth, although there was an Escudo posted a couple months ago that did not make banner for some reason. I'll give this one a banner vote and see what happens.
    A2coins likes this.
    Spanish Silver Totals
    Cut Pieces = 19
    Half Reals = 30
    1 Reals = 11
    2 Reales = 6
    8 Reales = 1
    2 Reale Cobs = 2
    Other Early Silver Coins
    1797 & 1803 Draped Bust Dimes
    1830 Capped Bust 5 cents
    1827 Capped Bust dime
    1661 Hammered silver King Leopold
    1697 William III 6-pence
    Rev War Buttons
    3rd Battalion PA, Hartley's Regiment, USA, (4) 18th Royal Irish, (2) Rattlesnake & Stars
    Civil War Plates
    VA Militia Cross Belt, CS Tongue, CS Wreath, VMM, US Box, Model 1851 Sword, Militia Plate w/Star

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    519 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Reanm8er -Thanks for the Nat Geo comments and yes I love to write about Rev WAr history especially from this battle/siege site and been told in my articles for WE&T mag the passion often shows thru in my writings. I mentioned Crusader's comments about maybe seeing finger prints on the coin and took pics after handling it . Very observant of him and being from England could not resist a little THing humor about Scotland Yard . Me am a "Inspector Gadget" kinda guy.LOL. Hope he understood that. Now in retrospect wish I has taken pics as I saw it laying that dirt but in the heat of the moment . I think what he may have seen for prints on it are , when the coin is magnified and a pic taken at the right angle, light abbrazions from being in the ground in a few months for 240 years. I did respond to his email with his comments so others would not think something was amiss here. I have been very fortunate to find many rare relics buttons and coins and some worthy to post on Tnet. So now age 71 on the 29th of May still going strong swinging my Deus and who knows who knows what history remains. I hope a gold coin like this comes under your coil for those of u it being on your "Bucket List." U other folks this has happened to u congrats.
    AS for speculation knowing on who and why it was lost I have been a student of this battle for now 23 years. I know this ground well and can tell you after the landing of the Marines and militia the order was given to fire two rounds at the Brits on the high ground then climb the steep bluff and engage them. This was done and when on the flat ground drove the Brits thru this area back to the fort. The coin was no doubt lost by a British officer under fire. Thanks for your comments and appreciate them.Gary
    Last edited by Castineman1779; May 25, 2019 at 09:57 AM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links