Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Upvote 141

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Straight from the rule book ladies and gentlemen.......

"and not be Hit & run Members, who show up to post an amazing find then leave again for 6 months ."

A 6 year hiatus as mentioned in the OP's opening sentence, probably followed by another hiatus. I absolutely love this Banner rule. You can't just show up on game day and expect to play, you gotta practice and be part of the team.

Disclaimer: Every time I quote a banner rule on an item that members are lobbying for or complaining about, the item usually makes the Banner lol!

Actually many Banners are given to hit and run members so you can throw out that rule.
Also many amazing finds by loyal members don’t make banner.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I threw my banner vote in. I hope that helps. This is such a cool find!

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup I and assume Rick (Megalodon) agree with that opinion. I did read Jeff of Pa's about the Banner thing and ironically he gave me on my gold coin find a vote and wrote "Will see where it goes". I don't agree that u should be posting comments about other folks finds as a requirement for this Banner thing. I see something like your butt0n or the ones just found recently and will indeed write something . WE gravitate to what interests us. A g0ld thimble someone eyeballed is a great find but does not move my excitement needle much. In my opini0n only I think what is found should stand on it's own without the personality of the person. Just my thoughts and unfortunately think many good find if like ships have sailed and the mates were on shore duty and missed them. G

I lobbied for this gold guinea and for some other finds - but I will not criticize the decisions of the moderators. We are very fortunate to have such excellent moderators and they do a thankless job. I know, having been a moderator years ago on a tropical fish forum until I got fed up with the name calling and political nonsense. As a nation, we are more divided now than then - and the mods do an excellent job in keeping the site free of offensive posts and politics. As for what makes, or should make, a banner, I tend to err on the side of what adds to the forum and what people would like to see. But saying that, I admit to my own biases - and I won't provide examples, except to say that I was the first one to vote banner on the gold thimble and then everyone piled on and it became banner in the same day. Perhaps it would be better if everyone knew what would disqualify an otherwise worthy find as a banner. But the downside of that could be fewer good stories with pics of finds. Still, the banner system can be abused by cheaters if someone needs it to feed an ego. I have finds made long ago, decades before tnet, that might be banner today. But it would be dishonorable to post them as if they were recent finds. Those who vote banner on a find are, by their vote, also saying that they trust the honor of the finder.

There is always a human element to decisions. I compare this to watching a baseball game and disagreeing with a call made by an umpire. Sometimes the wrong call is made (especially with the strike zone) and others are technically correct but seem unjust (losing a game on a balk, for example) but we live with it and appreciate the overall picture. As someone who has won awards in other areas, I know that what is important is not external recognition, but the inner joy that comes from always doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I threw my banner vote in. I hope that helps. This is such a cool find!

Thanks for doing that Rubka888. Like you, I often say that I "voted" banner on a find. But there is no ballot. I don't know if sheer numbers make a banner. We get a text box and I view the text box as my opportunity to explain why a find should be banner. I try to make a compelling case for the find. But, saying that, I don't know if it is just a numbers game or if making a case for a find helps at all. Its just what I do when I'm given a text box - LOL.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Based on the location where found in regards to the other battle relics, the rarity of the coin and the wonderful condition.
I vote BANNER. A great find is a great find no matter what the attendance record of the finder. I applaud all who share their finds with us on this forum BANNER or not. Their excitement and enthusiasm gives us all a rush and encourages us to get out there and make an attempt to do the same.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Actually many Banners are given to hit and run members so you can throw out that rule.
Also many amazing finds by loyal members don’t make banner.

A few more criteria to consider: Lobbying for a banner is a no no. A like item (gold coin) is currently floating across the top as well. And I'm certain that questioning the decision maker(s) isn't helping out.

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few more criteria to consider: Lobbying for a banner is a no no. A like item (gold coin) is currently floating across the top as well. And I'm certain that questioning the decision maker(s) isn't helping out.

Good post. I believe it is acceptable for regular members who did not find the item to lobby for it. (I could be wrong and would appreciate being corrected on this).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you like something, and think it should be a banner, nominate it. If not, not. Criticizing the moderators is not a good idea. Under any circumstances unless they really, really went off the edge. (And if that happened they probably wouldn't be moderators anymore.) But the ones here are top notch.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see no problem in a friendly bump/lobby for a find you really like by another member. The moderators do a great job on Tnet and may or may not take this into account. I bet this incredible coin still makes it to the top, only thing holding it back is that the OP had not posted anything for 6 years.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
This is an amazing and beautiful find. Somehow I missed this post the first time around. Way to go!!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally awesome!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Totally awesome!
Right back U and TOTTALY AWESOME finds my friend. I see your in my favorite mag an if an article about your finds there hell send it u for us to enjoy. I got 6 since 2006 and hope two more before my book. I hope that GW sleeve link was your Banner find or at least a Best Finds. Congrats on great finds. Gary

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This post is about remarks made earlier by 1320 and if u want to go back a page can check them out. I don't often write about ,I guess we are called OPs, but not not letting his slide by giving anyone an opinion about me that is not right. So that is an interesting bunch of comments to make about I will have to assume me since directed to the 6 year Hiatus ". He writes this rules thing " and straight out of the "Hit & Run " Members , who show up to post an amazing find then leave again in 6 months". To continue he wrote " A 6 year hiatus, as mentioned by the OP 's opening statement , probably followed by ANOTHER hiatus "And my favorite " You just can't show up on game day , you gotta practice and be part of the team."
First of all u know nothing about me if I am that OP and if u t0ok the time to check out my profile and post from April of 2013 to when I left on Dec 26th 2014, yes if u did the math 1 year and I think 8 months , u might know I played the game well, interacted with other OPS and often made comments about others finds . Am a FULL MEMBER . Yes u could have done that and saved your opinions so I did not have to respond here. A for my hiatus life happens and don't need to explain that . Now I wil be doing a new post soon about this Banner thing. I came back on Tnet since it is the best venue to share with all of u the history that is "The Penobscot Expedition" . Banner again I don't give a rat's butt about except to enjoy reading fantastic finds it offers. BTW I never had any interest in my relics, coins or whatever I find to be put up on this Banner thing or asked anyone to vote for this gold coin. It seems like now where there was a small brush fire a forrest fire has erupted and time to put some water on that my friends. So 1320 if I assumed u were referencing me and a wrong u have my sincere apology. In closing I have made friends before I left in DEc of 2104 and more when back on. Enjoy reading about what u all find and just want to continue telling my history. So keep swinging the coils my friends and keep the drama at a minimum please. Gary

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
This post is about remarks made earlier by 1320 and if u want to go back a page can check them out. I don't often write about ,I guess we are called OPs, but not not letting his slide by giving anyone an opinion about me that is not right. So that is an interesting bunch of comments to make about I will have to assume me since directed to the 6 year Hiatus ". He writes this rules thing " and straight out of the "Hit & Run " Members , who show up to post an amazing find then leave again in 6 months". To continue he wrote " A 6 year hiatus, as mentioned by the OP 's opening statement , probably followed by ANOTHER hiatus "And my favorite " You just can't show up on game day , you gotta practice and be part of the team."
First of all u know nothing about me if I am that OP and if u t0ok the time to check out my profile and post from April of 2013 to when I left on Dec 26th 2014, yes if u did the math 1 year and I think 8 months , u might know I played the game well, interacted with other OPS and often made comments about others finds . Am a FULL MEMBER . Yes u could have done that and saved your opinions so I did not have to respond here. A for my hiatus life happens and don't need to explain that . Now I wil be doing a new post soon about this Banner thing. I came back on Tnet since it is the best venue to share with all of u the history that is "The Penobscot Expedition" . Banner again I don't give a rat's butt about except to enjoy reading fantastic finds it offers. BTW I never had any interest in my relics, coins or whatever I find to be put up on this Banner thing or asked anyone to vote for this gold coin. It seems like now where there was a small brush fire a forrest fire has erupted and time to put some water on that my friends. In closing I have made friends before I left and more when back on. Enjoy reading about what u all find so keep swinging the coils my friends and keep the drama at a minimum . Gary

Yes, OP is you (Original Poster). The "comments" I made are direct quotes from the Treasurenet Banner Rules (with the exception of my "game day" comment). The whole point of my post was to offer potential reasons why your find hasn't earned a Banner spot. No, I don't make it a habit of looking up Member history, you yourself plainly stated your hiatus. A big absolutely not, this isn't a forest fire, brush fire and anything along those lines. If anything, my post probably put out a brush fire. The "hit and run" rule is fairly recent and not many know about it or have forgotten about.

Again, my post was not stating an opinion about you (your mentioned that three times!), only opinions why your find hasn't made it to the top. I also gave a reason why your find WILL make it to the top but in the cherry picking, you most likely missed that "opinion."

Hopefully you also understand that my reply to your post also bumped your post to the top of the Today's Finds forum (you're welcome). Matter of fact, I will have bumped this thread three times when I hit the "submit reply" button. (You're welcome).

Ya know, I was hoping your find would make Banner (it probably will) just for the simple reason that a lot of members like it and voted for it. Peace out, you can bump your own post now.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, OP is you (Original Poster). The "comments" I made are direct quotes from the Treasurenet Banner Rules (with the exception of my "game day" comment). The whole point of my post was to offer potential reasons why your find hasn't earned a Banner spot. No, I don't make it a habit of looking up Member history, you yourself plainly stated your hiatus. A big absolutely not, this isn't a forest fire, brush fire and anything along those lines. If anything, my post probably put out a brush fire. The "hit and run" rule is fairly recent and not many know about it or have forgotten about.

Again, my post was not stating an opinion about you (your mentioned that three times!), only opinions why your find hasn't made it to the top. I also gave a reason why your find WILL make it to the top but in the cherry picking, you most likely missed that "opinion."

Hopefully you also understand that my reply to your post also bumped your post to the top of the Today's Finds forum (you're welcome). Matter of fact, I will have bumped this thread three times when I hit the "submit reply" button. (You're welcome).

Ya know, I was hoping your find would make Banner (it probably will) just for the simple reason that a lot of members like it and voted for it. Peace out, you can bump your own post now.
Yes thank u for that . Yup just had my say for what it is worth before reading your post and yes bumped it up again but not for this Elite Banner thing but just stating my opinion. Probably more now get bumped off Tnet verse bumped up. Remember I wrote before don't give a rat's petunia if Banner or not. I still don't . I think it is water under the bridge at this point and should be. Doubt if the Mods call them will go back or try again. U had your say I had my say so I think time to move on.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Yes thank u for that . Yup just had my say for what it is worth before reading your post and yes bumped it up again but not for this Elite Banner thing but just stating my opinion. Probably more now get bumped off Tnet verse bumped up. Remember I wrote before don't give a rat's petunia if Banner or not. I still don't . I think it is water under the bridge at this point and should be. Doubt if the Mods call them will go back or try again. U had your say I had my say so I think time to move on.

A find from May just made it to the banner today.

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Straight from the rule book ladies and gentlemen.......

"and not be Hit & run Members, who show up to post an amazing find then leave again for 6 months ."

A 6 year hiatus as mentioned in the OP's opening sentence, probably followed by another hiatus. I absolutely love this Banner rule. You can't just show up on game day and expect to play, you gotta practice and be part of the team.

Disclaimer: Every time I quote a banner rule on an item that members are lobbying for or complaining about, the item usually makes the Banner lol!

Well there now did u get that post taking off? Well at least a few folks got to see it before and a few folks in your corner. It was a heathy argument that will go nowhere now and maybe your design. . RU sure u r not a moderator? How do u know a Banner item coming up from a May listing? Just curious.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread