[BANNER] Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found - Page 5
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2012
    Greenville, NC
    DEUS Nautilus DMC 11. Nautilus DMC 11 Ba
    46 times
    Relic Hunting
    Not sure why not a Banner, beats most things hands down. Not only beautiful, but a great piece of American history as part of the Penobscot Expedition. Just fantastic.
    Megalodon and Joe-Dirt like this.
    Chris Carroll
    BA History NCWC
    nchistory@Hotmail.com

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3582 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by nchistory View Post
    Not sure why not a Banner, beats most things hands down. Not only beautiful, but a great piece of American history as part of the Penobscot Expedition. Just fantastic.
    I agree - this should be an obvious banner find.

The original poster has no influence over a find being made banner. Its up to us. For those unfamiliar with the process or who think "let others do it", the way to vote banner is to click on the little red box on the upper right corner of the original post. Then when you get a text box - briefly explain why this find should be banner. In a case where it appears the banner may have fallen through some cracks, so to speak, it does not hurt to vote again - just in case your original vote was lost somehow (computer glitch etc). There have been so many banner worthy finds lately, its easy to see how our posters here could have forgotten one (though the find and story is unforgettable IMO). Our wise mods consider our comments/votes and based upon OUR input, put the pic on the banner.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jun 29, 2019 at 09:18 AM.
    Joe-Dirt and PetesPockets55 like this.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Charter Member
    us
    Bob

Jan 2018
    Central Massachusetts
    Minelab Equinox 600, AT max, 7 coils, 2 Garrett carrots, 2 trash barrels (full) and some dull shovels.
    7501 times
    Coin shooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You guys are right!! If this beautiful GOLD coin recovered in New England at a very historic site doesn’t get a BANNER what does??"??

“I was a kid once, but I wasn’t very good at it”

2020 YTD totals
    Silver coins 57
    Large coppers 5
    Silver rings 9
    Gold rings 3
    Silver items 14
    Skeleton keys 4
    Military buttons 5
    Flat buttons 33
    IHP 34

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II with Bigfoot, Equinox 600
    2074 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Gary, that is one sweet find!
    PetesPockets55 likes this.
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16823 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    Name:  giphy8848.gif
Views: 235
Size:  22.1 KB
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3582 times
    Come on folks - let's contact the mods and lobby for this banner-worthy find! Let us all climb that hill (ok, that's actually part of the battle story...).

Perhaps it is being saved to show as a banner for the banner?
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    Mar 2012
    Greenville, NC
    46 times
    Relic Hunting
    Megalodon, thanks for the heads up on voting.
    PetesPockets55 and Megalodon like this.
    Chris Carroll
    BA History NCWC
    nchistory@Hotmail.com

us
    Mar 2012
    Greenville, NC
    46 times
    Relic Hunting
    I voted and wrote the following. "This should be a Banner find, hands down. Finding such a beautiful 1772 Gold Guinea is a rarity, but being found on an American battlefield, most likely lost by an Officer of the 82nd foot after an assault by US Marines and Militia in 1779 during our independence from Great Britain makes it an amazing find. It deserves its moment in the limelight. Chris "
    PetesPockets55 and Megalodon like this.
    Chris Carroll
    BA History NCWC
    nchistory@Hotmail.com

us
    Wood Butcher

Apr 2013
    Indian River Co., Fl
    AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
    1108 times
    A very interesting story and a unique find, especially in this situation on a battlefield.
    Thanks for finding it and sharing. And yes it should receive the banner for so many reasons.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Underwonder (Kim)
    Wow being someone with a passion for history anyone that writes" The detector is MY stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past , to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future" is about the most beautiful phrase I have ever read and thank u . I share that passion every time I unearth relics form our American Revolution. Girl u got passion as well and I thank u. . THanks , Gary
    Last edited by Castineman1779; Jun 30, 2019 at 08:22 PM.
    Megalodon and PetesPockets55 like this.

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II with Bigfoot, Equinox 600
    2074 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castineman1779 View Post
    Underwonder (Kim)
    Wow being someone with a passion for history anyone that writes" The detector is MY stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past , to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future" is about the most beautiful phrase I have ever read and thank u . I share that passion every time I unearth relics form our American Revolution. Girl u got passion as well and I thank u. . THanks , Gary
    Why, I feel honored! Thank you, Gary. Honestly...I was not a history buff in school, but when I started detecting and holding history in my hand I immediately felt connected with the past and wanted to learn more. For example, after finding an 1893 Columbian Exposition token I researched and learned about the World’s Fair in Chicago, listened to the audiobook “The Devil in the White City” learning more about the building and background of the fair, learned about H.H.Holmes (serial killer), rented the movie “Expo-Magic of the White City”etc... I do feel a passion for uncovering relics, love woods walks and nature, and discovering what lies below. I think I share your passion along with many other hunters here and I appreciate your very kind words. Happy hunting!
    The detector is my stethoscope to the earth, discovering the heartbeat of the past, to breathe new life into artifacts for us and the future.....

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3582 times
    Kim (aka Underwonder),
    You have the best sig on tnet!

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Underwonder View Post
    Why, I feel honored! Thank you, Gary. Honestly...I was not a history buff in school, but when I started detecting and holding history in my hand I immediately felt connected with the past and wanted to learn more. For example, after finding an 1893 Columbian Exposition token I researched and learned about the World’s Fair in Chicago, listened to the audiobook “The Devil in the White City” learning more about the building and background of the fair, learned about H.H.Holmes (serial killer), rented the movie “Expo-Magic of the White City”etc... I do feel a passion for uncovering relics, love woods walks and nature, and discovering what lies below. I think I share your passion along with many other hunters here and I appreciate your very kind words. Happy hunting!
    Hey Kim
    Just replied to your PM and the pleasure is all mine. Both Rick (Megalodon ) and I agree we love your quote. The beauty of this great hobby is often like a good book takes you many places in search of history. I like to teach and share what I know and in turn learn from other as well. I think the battle I am hunting may mean more to me than the average guy or gal since being X army, a vet and retired I can almost feel that battle and it does help to find the relics. Certainly a great hobby with benefits of not only finding history but meet folks that have passion .Thanks Gary

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    2074 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Kim (aka Underwonder),
    You have the best sig on tnet!
    Thank you, Megalodon (aka Rick)! I have read your posts with interest.

Funny, this past winter I walked the Florida east coast shore looking for Megalodon tooth. I found great white, lemon shark, sand shark but not the elusive megalodon (although someone else found one)....but now I have I have found “Megalodon” by way of a person . This hobby has led me to many interesting people, places, and other interests. Most recently am involved in historical cemetery restorations...no detecting there but interesting history.

Wishing you well.
    Last edited by Underwonder; Jul 09, 2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Kim

Jul 2017
    RI
    2074 times
    Relic Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Ah yes....and a vote in for Banner....
    Megalodon likes this.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links