[BANNER] Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found - Page 6
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    3676 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Come on folks - let's contact the mods and lobby for this banner-worthy find! Let us all climb that hill (ok, that's actually part of the battle story...).

Perhaps it is being saved to show as a banner for the banner?
    The banner system needs an overhaul- someone is being subjective.
    Maybe there needs to be a panel of 6-12 experts on t net who all vote on what makes banner.
    So many great finds with many banner votes don’t make banner.
    mikefromIllinois likes this.
    To Dig or not to Dig

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Relicific View Post
    The banner system needs an overhaul- someone is being subjective.
    Maybe there needs to be a panel of 6-12 experts on t net who all vote on what makes banner.
    So many great finds with many banner votes don’t make banner.
    Yup I and assume Rick (Megalodon) agree with that opinion. I did read Jeff of Pa's about the Banner thing and ironically he gave me on my gold coin find a vote and wrote "Will see where it goes". I don't agree that u should be posting comments about other folks finds as a requirement for this Banner thing. I see something like your butt0n or the ones just found recently and will indeed write something . WE gravitate to what interests us. A g0ld thimble someone eyeballed is a great find but does not move my excitement needle much. In my opini0n only I think what is found should stand on it's own without the personality of the person. Just my thoughts and unfortunately think many good find if like ships have sailed and the mates were on shore duty and missed them. G

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    2111 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Straight from the rule book ladies and gentlemen.......

"and not be Hit & run Members, who show up to post an amazing find then leave again for 6 months ."

A 6 year hiatus as mentioned in the OP's opening sentence, probably followed by another hiatus. I absolutely love this Banner rule. You can't just show up on game day and expect to play, you gotta practice and be part of the team.

Disclaimer: Every time I quote a banner rule on an item that members are lobbying for or complaining about, the item usually makes the Banner lol!

us
    Aug 2011
    Swampeast Missouri
    Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
    252 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    That is a beautiful coin! Congrats.

ca
    Feb 2017
    3676 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Castineman1779 View Post
    Yup I and assume Rick (Megalodon) agree with that opinion. I did read Jeff of Pa's about the Banner thing and ironically he gave me on my gold coin find a vote and wrote "Will see where it goes". I don't agree that u should be posting comments about other folks finds as a requirement for this Banner thing. I see something like your butt0n or the ones just found recently and will indeed write something . WE gravitate to what interests us. A g0ld thimble someone eyeballed is a great find but does not move my excitement needle much. In my opini0n only I think what is found should stand on it's own without the personality of the person. Just my thoughts and unfortunately think many good find if like ships have sailed and the mates were on shore duty and missed them. G
    Yes
    Last edited by Treasure_Hunter; Jul 11, 2019 at 06:11 PM.
    To Dig or not to Dig

ca
    Feb 2017
    3676 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    Straight from the rule book ladies and gentlemen.......

"and not be Hit & run Members, who show up to post an amazing find then leave again for 6 months ."

A 6 year hiatus as mentioned in the OP's opening sentence, probably followed by another hiatus. I absolutely love this Banner rule. You can't just show up on game day and expect to play, you gotta practice and be part of the team.

Disclaimer: Every time I quote a banner rule on an item that members are lobbying for or complaining about, the item usually makes the Banner lol!
    Actually many Banners are given to hit and run members so you can throw out that rule.
    Also many amazing finds by loyal members don’t make banner.
    To Dig or not to Dig

Jun 2013
    844 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    I threw my banner vote in. I hope that helps. This is such a cool find!

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3582 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Castineman1779 View Post
    I lobbied for this gold guinea and for some other finds - but I will not criticize the decisions of the moderators. We are very fortunate to have such excellent moderators and they do a thankless job. I know, having been a moderator years ago on a tropical fish forum until I got fed up with the name calling and political nonsense. As a nation, we are more divided now than then - and the mods do an excellent job in keeping the site free of offensive posts and politics. As for what makes, or should make, a banner, I tend to err on the side of what adds to the forum and what people would like to see. But saying that, I admit to my own biases - and I won't provide examples, except to say that I was the first one to vote banner on the gold thimble and then everyone piled on and it became banner in the same day. Perhaps it would be better if everyone knew what would disqualify an otherwise worthy find as a banner. But the downside of that could be fewer good stories with pics of finds. Still, the banner system can be abused by cheaters if someone needs it to feed an ego. I have finds made long ago, decades before tnet, that might be banner today. But it would be dishonorable to post them as if they were recent finds. Those who vote banner on a find are, by their vote, also saying that they trust the honor of the finder.

There is always a human element to decisions. I compare this to watching a baseball game and disagreeing with a call made by an umpire. Sometimes the wrong call is made (especially with the strike zone) and others are technically correct but seem unjust (losing a game on a balk, for example) but we live with it and appreciate the overall picture. As someone who has won awards in other areas, I know that what is important is not external recognition, but the inner joy that comes from always doing the right thing.
    Last edited by Megalodon; Jul 10, 2019 at 11:49 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3582 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubka888 View Post
    I threw my banner vote in. I hope that helps. This is such a cool find!
    Thanks for doing that Rubka888. Like you, I often say that I "voted" banner on a find. But there is no ballot. I don't know if sheer numbers make a banner. We get a text box and I view the text box as my opportunity to explain why a find should be banner. I try to make a compelling case for the find. But, saying that, I don't know if it is just a numbers game or if making a case for a find helps at all. Its just what I do when I'm given a text box - LOL.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Jul 2007
    252 times
    Based on the location where found in regards to the other battle relics, the rarity of the coin and the wonderful condition.
    I vote BANNER. A great find is a great find no matter what the attendance record of the finder. I applaud all who share their finds with us on this forum BANNER or not. Their excitement and enthusiasm gives us all a rush and encourages us to get out there and make an attempt to do the same.

us
    Priv8ear

Aug 2018
    Shenandoah Valley Va
    WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
    3531 times
    BANNER then, and Banner now!
    Phil

Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    2111 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Relicific View Post
    Actually many Banners are given to hit and run members so you can throw out that rule.
    Also many amazing finds by loyal members donít make banner.
    A few more criteria to consider: Lobbying for a banner is a no no. A like item (gold coin) is currently floating across the top as well. And I'm certain that questioning the decision maker(s) isn't helping out.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    3582 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    A few more criteria to consider: Lobbying for a banner is a no no. A like item (gold coin) is currently floating across the top as well. And I'm certain that questioning the decision maker(s) isn't helping out.
    Good post. I believe it is acceptable for regular members who did not find the item to lobby for it. (I could be wrong and would appreciate being corrected on this).

Charter Member
    us
    Nov 2012
    Maryland
    XP Deus, Tesoro Cibola, Full sized shovel and a backhoe
    30367 times
    Banner Finds (8)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    If you like something, and think it should be a banner, nominate it. If not, not. Criticizing the moderators is not a good idea. Under any circumstances unless they really, really went off the edge. (And if that happened they probably wouldn't be moderators anymore.) But the ones here are top notch.

us
    Mar 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Whites M6, Minelab Equinox 600
    485 times
    Wow that's amazing and in incredible condition!

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links