Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,233
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Upvote 141

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Well there now did u get that post taking off? Well at least a few folks got to see it before and a few folks in your corner. It was a heathy argument that will go nowhere now and maybe your design. . RU sure u r not a moderator? How do u know a Banner item coming up from a May listing? Just curious.

Uh no, not a moderator but a full time member since 2009 with no hit and run. Matter of fact, I received a 30 day ban recently. If you click on the newest banner, you’ll notice that the find and original post was late May. Simply speculating, the post that was removed probably violated Treasurenet rules not to mention, you posted it in the wrong sub forum.

How many more times would you like me to bump your post?! Lol! (Laughing Out Loud). I practice with the team, I’m familiar with the rules, sometimes my tenor helps explaining the rules, much like what I was doing when I commented on your post.

I regret that my input has caused this post to loose it’s focus.

Your find is awesome, it is banner worthy. I enjoyed the research and History Lesson. Let’s keep the discussion about your find and story!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Castineman1779, it is not uncommon for a great find to become a "banner" 30+ days or so after the original post. I suppose one possible reason is there was a similar item in the banner.

For instance, in gold coins, if there are one or more in a banner already, until something else pushed one "out", a new different kind of find that is, any other gold coin may have to sit awhile before it makes the banner.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well there now did u get that post taking off? Well at least a few folks got to see it before and a few folks in your corner. It was a heathy argument that will go nowhere now and maybe your design. . RU sure u r not a moderator? How do u know a Banner item coming up from a May listing? Just curious.

1320 had nothing to do with your thread being removed at all, it was removed because it violated our rules. Case closed, please move on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1320 had nothing to do with your thread being removed at all, it was removed because it violated our rules. Case closed, please move on.

Thank u for mentioning that of which he will indeed get my apology. MOvi8ng on I have done. Gar4y

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Uh no, not a moderator but a full time member since 2009 with no hit and run. Matter of fact, I received a 30 day ban recently. If you click on the newest banner, you’ll notice that the find and original post was late May. Simply speculating, the post that was removed probably violated Treasurenet rules not to mention, you posted it in the wrong sub forum.

How many more times would you like me to bump your post?! Lol! (Laughing Out Loud). I practice with the team, I’m familiar with the rules, sometimes my tenor helps explaining the rules, much like what I was doing when I commented on your post.

I regret that my input has caused this post to loose it’s focus.

Your find is awesome, it is banner worthy. I enjoyed the research and History Lesson. Let’s keep the discussion about your find and story!

1320 my apology to u as just found out from one of the moderators my post violated their rules and they not u took it down. I just got home and read both of your posts and answering each now. I thank u for the many bumps and appreciate the kind words about the coin. After all it is still my belief a great should stand on it own regardless of the history of the finder. . AS the moderator wrote "Let' move on" and so I shall. Gary

Capone

Apr 28, 2017
MINNESOTA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary
What program were you running on the Deus?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1320 my apology to u as just found out from one of the moderators my post violated their rules and they not u took it down. I just got home and read both of your posts and answering each now. I thank u for the many bumps and appreciate the kind words about the coin. After all it is still my belief a great should stand on it own regardless of the history of the finder. . AS the moderator wrote "Let' move on" and so I shall. Gary

Thank you sir and just FYI, no one reported your thread, a mod found it while going through forums reading posts which mods are always doing.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIND!!!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What program were you running on the Deus?

Hi Capone
I was running #6 DEEP. My Deus is the 4.2 and the one before it a 3.1. On the 3.1 would be RELIC. Again I had just dug prior to this coin a pull tab that read 79-80 . The next target the gold guinea read the same but being a long but productive hunt and had found the relics in one of my pics and about to call it a day decided hell why not dig one more target about 4 feet from the coin. . I guess it is kinda ironic since many relic hunters have hunted this impact area heavily and being for most detectors a junk signal no one dug it. This is my second Deus of which last year I decided my hunts were done in Castine after 22 years and sold it. However last year last Winter I got itchy to

hunt again and bought this slightly used one. Took it out for it's maiden hunt on the 6th of April between snow storms but the ground had thawed in some areas. Figured would mark some targets and come back after the thaw and dig them. As i was walking up a path into the woods was remembering 20 years ago my one and only find that day was a French Flur DE Leis 6 pounder cannon ball a the end of the hunt. . So I get off the path where it was found , walk into the woods , fire up the Deus and wait for it to come up. Less than 30 seconds I run the coil over a stump and get a reading. I dig down about 6 inches and uncover the top of a 6 pounder. In shock I pull it out, get it home to clean and yes another French 6. I call it my French snow ball. That started a great season. A French ball with a French detector. Hmm! Yes I love my Deus and have found for really deep targrts where there is little room t swing a coil run it in Depth Mode. Light weight, easy to use and no coil wires. As a relic hunter I dig all targets regardless of the reading. Yes I do have the finest Post REv WAr shotgun collection but bring modest and not wanting anyone t know and steel them rarely write about them . PS_ Yes a u see my French ball is happy to be out of the ground now close to 240 years ago when the British captured a French Ship called The Saint Helena and used her 14 -6 pound cannons in this battle /siege. Yup I know I have been in the woods to long . LOL. LOL. Happy hunting. Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3255.JPG
    DSCN3255.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN3263.JPG
    DSCN3263.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN3272.JPG
    DSCN3272.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3269.JPG
    DSCN3269.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN3274.JPG
    DSCN3274.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN3650.JPG
    DSCN3650.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making banner.
Excellent piece of history and looks so nice up there.

(Love your iron "smiley face".)

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's Beautiful! Congratulations!

One thing I love about Gold, It jumps right out like a shining light! I'm here!!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Peterpockets55
Thank u and I am happy to see it made banner . It is a coin of being British made rich in our American history and now thanks to many of you that supported it can now be seen by many . It has been a long and interesting post with a little drama along the way but that is healthy to get opinions wether we agree or not. WE can always build a better mouse trap if needed and speak our minds. I do thank 1320 for his opinions and help keeping the little coin in the spotlight.
I will continue to hunt Castine and be a student of this battle and bring to u any relics., buttons, coins or any new information I learn about this fascinating battle/ siege. Some day, not in a hurry, I hope I will be lying next to my "Band of Brothers" above that spot they gave their lives for our freedom's long ago as did thousands of others in our fight for Freedom . It will my honor to join them looking out at now a tranquil Penobscot River where one day on he 28th of July 1779 this battle ragged any many brave American's and Britian's would never feel the embrace of a loved one and gave it all for Liberty and King and Country. I salute them both. . Remember Freedom is not Free. A special shoutout to Megalodon ,Ream8er & Relicific for lobbying for the little coin and also 1320 who helped keep it relavant. Also u folks for your kind words , votes ,questions and thought and support. . Now I will pick up my musket, ah! Deus and see what may still be awaiting my coil. Thank u all and enjoy the coin.. Gary

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's Beautiful! Congratulations!

One thing I love about Gold, It jumps right out like a shining light! I'm here!!

OBM
Thank u and yes the glint of gold wether a coin or jewelry indeed raises the pulse of the finder . I hope this coin does to u as well. I have found many iron and brass relics and other coins but like the American Bar shot and even a 1652 oak tree shilling but gold and even a 1652 Oak Tre Shilling but gold is indeed special. These finds are what I call "Shock & Awe" moments imbedded in the brain long after the hunt. Thing is a wonderful hobby not only for what we find in the ground or water but the secondary benefit of one's physical health. However the true treasures are the folks we meet along the way and form some lifelong friendships . Gary

Last edited:

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Most welcome. Takes character to step up and apologize, I very much appreciate that! Congrats on making the banner!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank u sir. Am off tomorrow for a short hunt . What can I say I got the "Bug" as most of us do in this wonderful hobby. I would like to ask u if it may be possible for Tnet to consider a category maybe called "Yesteryears Hunts" or those just coming into Tnet that have found great items to showcase in the past . May not be eligible for a Banner but would indeed give us more possible exciting finds t enjoy. Just a thought . Thanks again to help this little to help this little coin make Banner. Much appreciated . Be offline today . Gary

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making Banner! And thank you again for sharing your knowledge and analysis for all of us. In this heat, I'm still reading and learning about this battle and hope to find a passage somewhere from a participant where he mentions losing a guinea! Maybe in the heat of battle? So few real heroes talked much about themselves - that seems to be true of so many battles and wars, then and now. And I include the "losers" as heroes as well. I can only imagine the added difficulties imposed upon the actual fighting men who served under grossly incompetent leadership. Many of us have worked for ignorant and inept leadership - but they did not hold our lives in their hands and I appreciate that difference.

Last edited:

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peterpockets55
Thank u and I am happy to see it made banner . It is a coin of being British made rich in our American history and now thanks to many of you that supported it can now be seen by many . It has been a long and interesting post with a little drama along the way but that is healthy to get opinions wether we agree or not. WE can always build a better mouse trap if needed and speak our minds. I do thank 1320 for his opinions and help keeping the little coin in the spotlight.
I will continue to hunt Castine and be a student of this battle and bring to u any relics., buttons, coins or any new information I learn about this fascinating battle/ siege. Some day, not in a hurry, I hope I will be lying next to my "Band of Brothers" above that spot they gave their lives for our freedom's long ago as did thousands of others in our fight for Freedom . It will my honor to join them looking out at now a tranquil Penobscot River where one day on he 28th of July 1779 this battle ragged any many brave American's and Britian's would never feel the embrace of a loved one and gave it all for Liberty and King and Country. I salute them both. . Remember Freedom is not Free. A special shoutout to Megalodon ,Ream8er & Relicific for lobbying for the little coin and also 1320 who helped keep it relavant. Also u folks for your kind words , votes ,questions and thought and support. . Now I will pick up my musket, ah! Deus and see what may still be awaiting my coil. Thank u all and enjoy the coin.. Gary

The 240th anniversary of this Battle will be in less than two weeks. I don't know if Castine or a Revolutionary War group does anything to commemorate the Battle, but it brings a smile to my face to know that you will do something appropriate to pay homage to those who sacrificed at the siege and assault 240 years ago.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the historical Banner Gold coin! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions