Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,234
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,126
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 928
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,201
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Upvote 141
OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In EVERYONE on this forum's wildest dream! Plucking a gold coin from the darkness of the earths crust. And having pulled several gold rings from watery highly acidic soil looking like they were just lost, there is no doubt in my mind that a gold coin would come out relatively clean from mere forest dirt. Silver even does, most of the time.

That is why they are Precious Metals, and why us mortals desire them so.... What an AWESOME find, Congrats![/QUOT
Thank u and yes I never even gave any thought this little British gold coin would come under my coil. I still wake up a times and pinch myself thinking it was only a dream and then see the shine of tha precious metal reflecting back a me. However that is the beauty of this great hobby and can happen to anyone that swings a coil.
BTW thanks for the "Freedom isn't free" as I give thanks to all thst served from the American REvolution till today. I planted flags on graves of he Americans buried on the crest of a hill plus on TRask Rocks. Always thank the Vets with a "Thanks for your Service. . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3911.JPG
    DSCN3911.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN3897.JPG
    DSCN3897.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 45

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man o man what a find!

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Man o man what a find!

Birdman . Thanks and I have no doubt if ones swings the coil long enough a gold coin will come under your coin as well. Expect the expected and savor the "Shock and Awe" moment when it comes. Gary

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian
Thank u very much or your kind words . Yes indeed I have had a few of those "last dig of the day", as was the little gold coin and my "Shock & Awe" moment and also "on they way back to the vehicle in my last 23 years hunting this site moments . . First since Tnet will put me off before I finish this post I will list it now and come back to finish . I do long posts and often loose them.
Okey I am back . This year I experienced both and hope u don't mind me going back into "The Wayback Machine" to write about one of them. The first the little gold coin as the last dig of the day . The 2nd on my was back to the car . In my first 8 years of relic hunting Castine had found enough ordnance to write my first of 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasure mag called ' Have a Ball". Back then I mainly looked for ordnance. One day I had hunted hard for about 8 warm hours , dog tired ,and looked like a skunk day. On the way back to my car was literally dragging my coil on the ground behind me. About 150 feet from the car get a beep in my headphones. Dig down about 3 inches and see the top of a 6 pounder cannon ball. Man that was a great ending to a long hot day. "Wait it gets better" as in the commercials. So I get the ball home and start cleaning it and find a French Flur DE Leis . Man that was a shock . However I had to wonder what a French CB was doing in an American/ British battle/siege .So did more research and learned when the Brits arrived in June of 1779 they had captured a French ship called the Saint Helena and brought her and her 14- 6 pound cannons into service . Question answered. So that was my 'back to the car" moment u mentioned. Fast forward to 8 April this year and my first day to hunt Castine. It was cold one but as chomping at the bit to hunt. So I park when I usually do and a couple hunted feet where I found the French 6 those many years ago. On my way up the path I am thinking about that ball found 15 yars ago and looking into the woods where it was found saying to myself man I would love to find another one of them . So I take a right turn into that wood, fire up the Deus and start swinging. On my 5th swing over a tree stump to my surprize get a hit. Thinking yup that's gotta be junk dig down about 6 inches and uncover thee top of a cannon ball. I had dug enough sides to know this was another 6 . Now is it another French one? Get it home and yup it is. The Brits were firing on the American's using the French ordnance. So I get a two fer. One about 15 years apart .Man I just love this hobby and sure u agree. BTW the smiley face was my idea. Yup keep dreaming as in this great and wonderful hobby they indeed can come true and expect the unexpected and be ready to put a smile on your face as seen on this French ball.. Gary

Wow! I would love to find a cannon ball.

Congratulations for your coin find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions