[BANNER] Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found - Page 9
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Revolutionary War "Penobscot Expedition " gold coin found

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    An interesting note I would like to share with u . At two O clock on the reverse u can see light rim damage where no doubt a soldier stepped on it. Not damage from a digging tool as on both sides. I thought when found and examined it did hit it with my digger to but found the damage is light and both sides if the coin and would be impossible to like lightning striking twice at the same place. I am currently researching the officers present from the British 82nd REgt of Foot on the Heights when the Americans fought them in this 20 minute skirmish. There were two Cpt Archibald Campbell and Lt John Moore. Campbell broke upon receiving fire and returned to the fort . Lt Moore held his ground until the last minute ,causing more American casualties ,and then retreated . A brave British officer that distinguished himself that day and went on to become an outstanding general.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3522.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	1732026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3523.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	1732037  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Castineman1779; Jul 13, 2019 at 05:34 PM.
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    Sep 2018
    Nazareth, PA
    Garrett 250
    525 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Great save!!

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    The 240th anniversary of this Battle will be in less than two weeks. I don't know if Castine or a Revolutionary War group does anything to commemorate the Battle, but it brings a smile to my face to know that you will do something appropriate to pay homage to those who sacrificed at the siege and assault 240 years ago.
    Thanks Rick
    Far as I know there are no plans and to celebrate this history. Until John Cayford , who wrote the book "The Penobscot Expedition in 1976 and started researching in 1953 as I understand it this battle/ siege was a humiliating loss to Americans and the folks where it happened would rather keep it unknown for the first 75 years of tye 20th century. Mr Cayford brought this history alive and I thank him for that. Gary
    Megalodon likes this.

us
    May 2018
    A state of Resistance
    White's MXT Tesoro Cibola Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
    3582 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Castineman1779 View Post
    An interesting note I would like to share with u . At two O clock on the reverse u can see light rim damage where no doubt a soldier stepped on it. Not damage from a digging tool as on both sides. I thought when found and examined it did hit it with my digger to but found the damage is light and both sides if the coin and would be impossible to like lightning striking twice at the same place. I am currently researching the officers present from the British 82nd REgt of Foot on the Heights when the Americans fought them in this 20 minute skirmish. There were two Cpt Archibald Campbell and Lt John Moore. Campbell broke upon receiving fire and returned to the fort . Lt Moore held his ground until the last minute ,causing more American casualties ,and then retreated . A brave British officer.
    From what I have been reading, Moore's bravery through his entire career was typical of his character. Always led from the front and known for humane conduct toward his enemy and refusal to commit atrocities. Reading about this brave man from "the other side", I am reminded of another Moore that I admire - Hal Moore.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2006
    Fremont, Ohio
    Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560
    1059 times
    What a fantastic coin, it is so beautiful! A huge congratulations!!
    Research and ye shall find!

us
    Mar 2013
    California
    Fisher Gold Bug Pro Tesoro Cibola Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
    3682 times
    Metal Detecting
    Man! What-A-FIND!!
    You have a pristine GOLD COIN, a piece of history...., TREASURE!
    Stick With It - It's not *IF* you'll find the good stuff , but WHEN!

us
    Oct 2008
    Etrac CTX
    483 times
    Banner Finds (2)
    That is an amazing find! Congrats. I just read through 9 pages of comments and was surprised by how many had a hint of negativity. To me its pretty straight forward, you popped a beauty of a coin at a site hunted by others, which makes it an even better find.
    Of course its a banner find.....thanks for sharing
    mikefromIllinois likes this.

Congrats on making banner! I cast my vote back on May 25th (several pages back) and was certain that your find would make banner sooner or later. It's not every day that a member of this forum comes home with a potential banner find, and most, if not all members feel a sense of pride in making the coveted banner feature. I believe the moderators do an outstanding job in maintaining the forum for the overall good of the entire membership while taking into consideration the overall consensus of likes, votes, comments, and so forth. Not everything happens in a day, or a week, or even a month, but as long as you get there, it's all good. Fantastic find. You got the gold and got to banner!!!
    got Mass Silver?

us
    Jul 2019
    MA
    Equinox 800, Garret AT, Whites DFX
    16 times
    Beautiful coin! Congrats on that awesome coin!

HH
    Al

ca
    Feb 2017
    XP DEUS X terra 705 Fisher F2
    3676 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (2)
    Huge congrats
    That’s an incredible find
    To Dig or not to Dig

Charter Member
    us
    Jun 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    5304 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    What a beautiful coin!

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    That is an amazing find! Congrats. I just read through 9 pages of comments and was surprised by how many had a hint of negativity. To me its pretty straight forward, you popped a beauty of a coin at a site hunted by others, which makes it an even better find.
    Of course its a banner find.....thanks for sharing
    Thank u very much and yes there was some issues raised but not about the coin. . However I am glad to see the little gold coin is where it should be. Yes I think it is nice to be recognized but to me not about the finder as it is about the find. Just my opinion as others I respect as well. Gary

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tree Chaser View Post
    Congrats on making banner! I cast my vote back on May 25th (several pages back) and was certain that your find would make banner sooner or later. It's not every day that a member of this forum comes home with a potential banner find, and most, if not all members feel a sense of pride in making the coveted banner feature. I believe the moderators do an outstanding job in maintaining the forum for the overall good of the entire membership while taking into consideration the overall consensus of likes, votes, comments, and so forth. Not everything happens in a day, or a week, or even a month, but as long as you get there, it's all good. Fantastic find. You got the gold and got to banner!!!
    Silver Tree Chaser
    Thank u for your vote on the little gold coin. . As for taking long well I think some thought maybe would be sooner but no matter the history and the coin I hope everyone enjoys. Actually I did come back to Tnet as when i found the coin was considering how to best get the coin and it's little known history out there and Tnet or an article for Western Eastern Treasures were my options. WE&T would take time and Tnet with all it's members I thought would enjoy immediate. I did not think of Banner when listing only to share my find and those after this one. Yup some issues raised but it is now on display for al to see and enjoy. My first and probably only gold coin but we say never say never in this wonderful hobby. Gary
    Last edited by Castineman1779; Jul 14, 2019 at 04:21 AM.

us
    Rev WAr history guy

Apr 2013
    Maine
    XP Deus, DFX
    901 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Thank u all for getting this coin and it's history to Banner. Much appreciated. Moving on to find more from this battle/ siege and hope to share it here on this great site. Gary

Charter Member
    us
    ARC

Aug 2014
    Bahia Del Espiritu Santo - "Bay of the Holy Spirit”
    JW 8X V.2 - ML X2 - VP 580
    63905 times
    Sorry missed this post.

This coin is in beyond great condition for something found in the ground.... even if gold.

Banner find.

Super well done... and then some.

Congrats.

PS...
    I forgot to use the word that truly describes this find... "STELLAR".
    Last edited by AARC; Jul 14, 2019 at 05:46 AM.
    DETECT WITH RESPECT - Have permission... Fill holes... Dispose of trash. - The Random Chat Thread - http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/ev...en-24-7-a.html

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links