Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey folks my last post on here was way back in 2013 and sorry 4 being AWOL here. Life happens. Anyway I am in my 23rd year of relic hunting my REv WAr site here in Maine . U may remember me for posting a silver shoe buckle frame I found on the beach that once belonged to Cpt John Hinkley . On the 16th of May was working a hot spot that has produced much American ordnance . Google 'Trask Rock" for a 8 minute video of history in Castine , Maine. Had a great day with finding 4 large grape shot. Spent 5 hours on the hunt and happy with the results. Just dug a pull tab some other THer had left behind and said maybe dig one more target and cal it a day. Deus rang up a 81-82 which usually is a pull tab or shotgun shell. I guess "Shock & Awe" best describes my feelings once I spotted a large bright yellow coin in my discharge dirt. Full guinea .Here u go and may this happen to you. I will answer all questions to as to why I believe lost by a British officer under fire. Enjoy . Gary

Attachments

• DSCN3517.JPG
    DSCN3517.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 1,220
  • DSCN3478.JPG
    DSCN3478.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,125
  • DSCN3471.JPG
    DSCN3471.JPG
    143.1 KB · Views: 927
  • DSCN3526.jpg
    DSCN3526.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 1,200
  • DSCN3532.jpg
    DSCN3532.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 1,205
Last edited:
Upvote 141

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FIND!!! Nows time to go back and dig all those other pull tabs!!!

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice coin. Amazing how the dirt didn't even stick to it over all these years. Front or back. Amazing.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy banner batman....that thing is beautiful !! You got my vote !! Congrats !

OP
OP
C

Castineman1779

Apr 30, 2013
Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure I remember how to do a reply and am rusty i guess but will answer Terpfan's 2 questions. First the area where this coin was found is a known impact area for American artilery from the ships and has been well hunted over the years by many and quite a bit of trash left behind by other relic hunters. In deep woods with downed trees and bushes so not an easy hunt .Shotgun shells abound with pull tabs and even a few sardine cans. Why I found it but not others before me is I suspect many got the signal and thought trash and moved on. Thank u. After pulling out a pull tab just before the coin I made it my last target of the day. The American's routed Brits thru this area back to the fort and knowing this skirmish tool place on the 28th of July 1779 in the very early morning hours. No doubt in the heat of battle and under fire this coin was lost. Dated 1772 and in mint condition probably the officer was probably recently paid. Hard loss for him. American's rarely got paid in hard money making it more probable a Brit owned it.
So to paint a metal picture of this find it had been a long 5 hour hunt in extremely hard to hunt with much downed trees and brush to contend with. . Had found 4 grapeshot prior to that and was a good day for American ordnance. In a rare open area got a signal on my Deus reading like a pull tab/ shotgun shell. Yup up came a pull tab. Put it in my bag and starting swinging the coil. About 5 feet away a similar signal I almost passed on but said what the hell make it my last dig. So I dig a wide hole and throw up dirt in a pile. Look into the hole nothing . Then I catch the glint of something yellow sitting flat on the dirt pile. So now I am getting excited and saying to myself R U (expletive) kidding me. Maybe a gold coin?Picked up the coin and felt the heavyness of gold and gently brushed off the dirt on it. Took pictures to document the find . Note always take a camera with u if possible to record the find for history like u r reading here. . I knew being heavy it was gold and English and later learned a guinea , 25mm ,22 kt gold ,dated 1772 in mint condition. The area found in the Brits passed thru there when the American's routed them in a skirmish and returned to their fort. Am happy u all re enjoying this piece of our history and thanks for your words. It was never on my "Bucket List" since never expected to find gold at this site and expect a single loss. I have found some fantastic coins , relics and buttons over the last 23 years and written 6 articles for Western Eastern Treasures mag documented many of them. The last "In Search of the British 74th" July 2018. Will there be a 7th? Answer -U know it. Thanks for looking and reading my post. Gary

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was indeed a battle ground loss, it may have been the result of a horrific injury.
Heavy ordnance probably scattered everything in its way.

Gold has a tendency of sometimes coming out of the ground like it was lost yesterday.

May have been more than one coin in his pockets.

leonidas

Aug 30, 2018
Kennesaw, Ga
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, White's MXT, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome find, thanks for sharing your story and congrats! *banner vote*

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WoW! What an astounding coin! BANNER and CONGRATULATIONS

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out of interest did you cover it back up just for the photo? Looks like the soil is pressed back on top, I can see some evidence of thumb prints. I assume you did this after you dug it, just for affect?
Congrats on a rare & valuable find in lovely condition.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner that will teach ya to let life get in the way of life lol great find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread