Colonial site finally gives up some silver...Seated Liberty style CC.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back to the colonial site today. I hunted a few more areas that I thought would be unproductive but I want to hunt everywhere possible just in case I come across another hot spot. First find of the day was a penny. Of course I thought it would be an IH but alas just a 1939 wheat penny. Soon thereafter I hit a flat button. After that the finds started getting thin. I wrapped up the first 2 hours of the hunt with a small broken object that I think is a buckle and a lead fishing sinker. I also picked up one more wheat penny. (1934) At this point my junk pouch was alot more full than my treasure pouch so I decided to take a water break. The water was in my car so I hopped on the 4 wheeler and headed for the car. Here is a picture of the path that leads from the farm field to where I park my car.
IMG_0844.jpg

I moved to another part of the field for my second excursion. My finds here consisted of a few bullets and a semi squashed musket ball (looks kind of like a rock because its not round) Its the one above the orange whistle in this picture. The orange whistle was an eyeball find.
IMG_0853.JPG

After this excursion I had lunch. Then I headed back out for mini hunt #3. I picked up a nice flat button here. This is the only flat button I've found here that actually has something on the front. Its not completely clean but here is a picture. i will post a cleaned up picture later. If anyone recognizes it and may be able to ID it, I would appreciate any help.
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
Soon after this button I picked up a small flat button that still has the back attached. Here is a picture of that button along with the first flat button I found today.
IMG_0852.JPG

After that I began to hit a string of beer cans that were registering as dime/quarter hits on my DFX. Must be a place where kids hang out and drink. It's a very secluded area here so I can see why. Just to be sure i was digging everything. After about 3 or 4 beer cans I hit an identical signal and thought "another beer can" Depth indication was a half inch. Just as I'm getting ready to jam the shovel into the ground I see a round shape. Its a little muddy so i pick it up and pour some of my water on it. Staring back at me is the obverse of a seated liberty dime. It occurred to me that I didn't take a picture of the coin before I picked it up so i put it back where it was and snapped a couple of pictures.
IMG_0845.jpg
IMG_0846.JPG

Here are the wheats and dime......
IMG_0849.JPG

Better pics of the dime.....
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

Here is one of the bullets i found. Does anyone have an age estimate on this one. It's the first one like this I've found here.
IMG_0854.JPG

Thanks alot for looking.

Upvote 0

Nate in Ohio

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Colonial site finally gives up some silver...Seated Liberty style.

Wow. That's a NICE seated dime! Congrats on finding it. The other old relics and buttons are interesting too. Hopefully you can pull some more coins of that age from that site. Keep it up and HH!

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

Wow, that Seated Dime is in great condition! Excellent find! By the way, I would try hunting that path for a little while to see if there's anything old on it. Up until recently, I didn't hunt trails, since I thought there might be too much modern junk, but my thoughts have changed since I've found an 1812 Large Cent, some Indian Heads, and flat buttons along the trails in the old woods I hunt.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

Nice dime!

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks bookfisher. I actually hunted the path a while ago on my first trip to this site. Pretty uneventful. Only one buckle. I'll probably hunt it again just to make sure i didn't miss anything.

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds, love that button and am curious to see what it looks like cleaned up. Very nice seated dime as well and it being a Carson City mintage is a bigger bonus.....WTG!!!!

junkdigger

Sep 15, 2004
clarkston,wa.

Great find,Evo! That bullet is a bevel-based semi-wadcutter with a crimping groove. It is a revolver bullet,still used today. If it is .357" diameter,it was probably fired from a .38 Special or a .357 S&W magnum.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts

NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D she looks to be in great shape for her age.... ;D ;D

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT

great dime apears to be in very good shape!!

candig

Oct 8, 2007
North Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice!!!! I can't wait to find my first seated liberty anything.

HH GL

Dee

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

great find ! i bet that made your day huh ?

congrats

vp

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont

Great dime Evolution, and that picture on the button looks strangely like a cannon. Let us see it when you clean it up...Congrats...Lance

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.

Nice stuff. That's a great looking dime. That looks like a great place to hunt.
Bob

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

comfyinvermont said:
Great dime Evolution, and that picture on the button looks strangely like a cannon. Let us see it when you clean it up...Congrats...Lance
Thats what i see too. I seem to remember seeing one like it on the button forum. I'm going to check it out. It would be an interesting find at this site because I haven't found any war related items.....if in fact this is war related.

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Smokin dime! Great pictures too. Thanks for the write up. I'm still looking for a seated this year.

Bob

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

candig said:
Very nice!!!! I can't wait to find my first seated liberty anything.

HH GL

Dee

Me too.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

plehbah said:
The picture of the dime just laying in that field is great!
Thanks plehbah. I've been told by a few people that they love the action shots. I couldn't believe that thing was lying right on top of the ground. I also like the fact that it was a Carson City dime in New york.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Beautiful dime, Evolution!! A Carson City seated dime in New York? Yeah, that's very interesting. My seated half I found a couple months back was from New Orleans. I thought it would have been a CC.

You've got some great sites to detect over there. I would love to try my luck at one of those places. Parks have been my domain most of this year.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very nice dime, Congrats!
Good post too, it was almost like being there. ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've got the button cleaned up enough to see the back mark. It says Imperial Orange Gilt. The front definately appears to show a cannon whth something above it including writing. I'm not too sure its going to get any better than this. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0862.JPG
    IMG_0862.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 571
  • IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 569

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread