Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got home tonight and started to research one of my finds, only to find an old thread on here about the same buckle. Seems DeerHavenDigger found the same buckle in August, 2016 (thread)

aE6BaCD.jpg

From a website linked to on DeerHavenDigger's thread:

Measuring approximately 2 X 2.25 inches, this double buckle is die struck from sheet iron with remnants of original nickel plating and bold Patent markings BANISTERS CENTENNIAL Pat. Mar. 15, 64 . Attendees of the annual Mansfield, Ohio Civil War Show will find the image of this buckle familiar as they remember Dennis Keesee’s award winning display of Civil War drummer boy equipage. If not Keesee’s book on the subject, Too Young To Die offers an illustration of the Banister buckle laid in with the personal effects of 43rd Ohio drummer David Auld. Keesee identifies the buckle as the Ohio Drummer boy’s drum sling buckle. Our own research produced information on more than one buckle patent by Isaac Banister. With the exception of Keesee’s 43rd Ohio buckle we have never encountered another example of the Banister type in any size. A rare example!

I don't mind saying that I'm pretty pleased right now.

Upvote 8
OP
OP
Iron Buzz

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! To be honest, it didn't really strike me as awesome when I first dug it. I'm accustomed to having old artifacts made of copper, brass, or bronze, and actually looking old when they come out of the ground. Here was this shiny nickel plated steel buckle. I'm glad I took the time to notice the writing, and especially the patent date or it might have gone into the junk bag!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions