1800's Neighboring Houses Produce the Gooodies!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went with friends to some permissions in a little nearby town. We were able to dig in the yards of houses built in 1857, 1870, and 1880. I was amazed to find two great tokens in one yard, along with two Indian Head cents (1884 and 1889) and at least two wheaties, among other widgets and clad. The flower-shaped token is for 2 1/2 cents in trade at a long closed storefront below the old Hotel Missouri in Springfield, Missouri. The round token is good for 5 cents in trade for the Model Fountain, wherever that once existed. (Any help appreciated!) Thanks for looking, and a safe and blessed Memorial Day weekend to all of my TNet friends.

springfieldtoken2.jpg springfieldtoken1.jpg

springfieldtoken3.jpg springfieldtoken4.jpg

Upvote 41

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice tokens, the flower shaped is a real winner, nice IH & Wheats, congrats on a good hunt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a 'Model' Fountain?
I'm guessing it was a fountain fresh from the Spring Waters? (Hence Springfield, the Field with Springs??) A little like Bath, England had, although that had mineral rich water that was thought to have healing powers.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Sub. Ya gotta love tokens like those...along with some '80's Indians...NICE!!

Good Luck out there. C9

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer finds, tokens are the best!
The 2 and 1/2 ct in that shape is called an 8 scallop.
Usually found as 4, 8, and 16.
Much Kudos!
Carl

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is “fountain” is a soda fountain. Who has soda fountains? Drug stores.
Are you anywhere near Oak Grove, Mo? There was “The model drug store” in a article from 1917 4EA55ACF-F546-4DC5-A887-27BC6015F3CE.jpeg

OP
OP
Subterranean

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is “fountain” is a soda fountain. Who has soda fountains? Drug stores.
Are you anywhere near Oak Grove, Mo? There was “The model drug store” in a article from 1917 View attachment 1716845

Awesome information, Highnam, thanks. Yes even I remember the fountains in drugstores. This reference to the Model Pharmacy in Oak Grove is probably the origin of the round token. Oak Grove is about a 2 1/2 drive from where I found this token, which, come to find out was a house that was also used as a hotel in the late 1800's-early 1900's. Cheers! Sub

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool saves, well done:icon_thumleft:

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
Sub--nice recoveries! The Schoen & Staton token is listed in Smith's MO token catalog as Springfield #SB. Please post pics of it on tokencatalog.com I don't find listings for the Model Fountain one, so please also post pics of it there under Unknown so more researchers will see it.
John in the Great 208

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread