Excelsior head badge

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one is not from today but maybe a week ago, forgot to post it up. Found at my church about 3 inches down. Looks to be from around a 1934 model bicycle
7F99E81E-C9FC-4C1D-B726-90384589AD83.jpeg C4CA714A-9C70-48A0-B76A-8FCE594609EC.png

Upvote 16
OP
OP
F

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a way to safely bend it back out without breaking it?

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a nice find! :thumbsup:
I would 'Google' your area to find a good CW relic restorer who knows how to safely straighten stamped brass.

Dave

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excelsior Co. had a complicated history. They made motorcycles and bicycles. The company was split up and sold. Ignaz Schwinn bought part of it and the Excelsior name ended up on Schwinn bicycles. Here are some old Excelsior badges. If you look closely, some say Chicago, IL, some say Michigan City, IN., and some say Arnold, Schwinn & Co. Chicago. I can't read what your badge says but it should say one or the other. Gary

badge 1912 1916 Exc. Cyc. Co. Chi..jpg badge 1916-1930 Exc. Cyc. Co Mich. Cty IN.jpg badge pre 1912 Exc. Sup. Co..jpg badge unknown yr Arnold Schwinn Exc..jpg

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old bicycle relic. Since you asked, if it were mine, here is what I would do. Put the small bent end into a vice. Put a piece of cloth on each side of it, so it doesnt get scratched in the vice. Turn vice handle just to snug up the end of the badge. Now, SLOWLY start to lift the longer end up, then let it rest for a few hours. Go back and do it again, and again. From the pics, it looks as though you would be able to get it straightened out. Now, there is always that slight chance that it will snap, so if you do not want to take that gamble, then I would just leave it alone and display as it is. I'm sure someone will chime in against my advice, but remember, at the beginning I said "If it were mine". I have had great success straightening many items with a vice, but you have to go slowly and have patience.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this one way back when I was about 13 years old and immediately bent it back into shape, not knowing if it would snap, but then again I didn't know what it was then. Glad I did though because it would lot be appreciated as much not seeing the details. Looks like yours is a bit thicker so I would guess it should bend fairly easy back into shape. Leaving like it is though is great because it doesn't really take away from its cool factor. If you do bend it back, show us a pic, but I wouldn't shine it up though.

20180827_203910.jpg

OP
OP
F

Finder Bear

Mar 20, 2019
Newton KS
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I mustered up the courage and used a plastic mallet and broom handle to coerce it somewhat back into shape. Looks better already. Could use more work but I’m happy with it. This is by far my favorite piece, I don’t know why, it just strikes a chord with me.
1D4EF110-1745-4261-AB19-88F63F5CCD48.jpeg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice piece of bike history! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread